USA Soccer

Devils Pride 26

The Netherlands draw Denmark, Japan and Cameroon, which is a pretty good drawing for us compared to the last WC and EC. So yeah, I'm happy...

USA should definitely be able to advance, although Slovenia isn't a pushover.

South Africa got Uruguay, France and Mexico, so I guess this will be the first time that the host nation doesn't go to the second round (and with a little bit of luck, France won't make it as well).

Is South Africa likely to continue that trend?

Not likely with the group they got stuck with. Okay Uruguay and Mexico aren't world-beaters but they were about the best teams that South Africa could have been stuck with from those pots and getting France really sucks for them.

USA with England lol.

Good, I was hoping for that just for entertainment value. Especially if Donovan gets the best of Beckham in the end :lol:

We really did well considering. Coulda had Ivory Coast and/or Portugal in there instead.

Now we've got 6 months to prepare for England.

No real Group of Death this time around, with G being the best candidate for it. Group matchups look dreadful from a storyline perspective. Not one game really jumps out at me. I think FIFA did a good job addressing balance, but it seems like a rather lackluster draw concerning the games themselves. The knockout rounds will be great though, or should be at least.

Argentina with the easiest group ... :blahblah:

Nah. England or France. I think England have the most pressure without question. If they fail to make it out of the groups, it will be crazy. France got a piss-easy road aside from the host squad and possibly Mexico, but considering how they got there, France got off basically.

I think Argentina definitely got an easy road and Id agree any other Cup, but with Maradona managing, beating Nigeria will be rough.

I disagree - a weak France will have to go up against the host who will play as hosts do - and Mexico who is pretty even with Uruguay will play tough against them and each other, Argentina draws one of the weakest African teams - a Korean Rep who the coaches last night admittedly had not ever scouted and a Greece who is a shadow of the team who miraculously won the Euro years ago ... no contest imo

The US always stumbles against weaker European teams......Slovenia is tough.

Holland IMO is the favorite to win this whole thing.

If my Danes get a draw with the Dutch, it's an easy sail through to the second round, if not, they advance anyway.

The US always stumbles against weaker European teams......Slovenia is tough.

Holland IMO is the favorite to win this whole thing.

If my Danes get a draw with the Dutch, it's an easy sail through to the second round, if not, they advance anyway.

Aside from Spain and Brazil, I think England really has the moxie to go deep, final style deep. Just about every player has Champions League experience as of late and they're absolutely cruising. The fact they got a favorable draw also helps. They seem to have the vibe of the Colts. In that they got close so much and finally broke through. If England can avoid the penalties curse they seem to be plagued with, Id not be surprised at all to see them win this time around. Their support will be heavy as well, just because of South Africa.

The Dutch looked slick in qualifying, but so did the English.

And yes, the US has struggled against just about any European team. A draw with England will really go a long way. Root for the win, cheer for the draw. England would treat any draw in this group as a loss.

I have high hopes, but I really don't like our chances at doing much of anything. I think just getting out of the groups will be a success.

I disagree - a weak France will have to go up against the host who will play as hosts do - and Mexico who is pretty even with Uruguay will play tough against them and each other, Argentina draws one of the weakest African teams - a Korean Rep who the coaches last night admittedly had not ever scouted and a Greece who is a shadow of the team who miraculously won the Euro years ago ... no contest imo

But it is a contest. I dont think its cut and dry when Maradona can't coach a lick, the players know it, the fans know it, and just about everyone else knows it. France is still world class personnel wise, and they've got more than enough time to get their sh!t together. France is quarters or better. I would bet on that today. I think Argentina is also a quarterfinalist, just based on that damn draw, BUT I'd take France over Argentina right now and more than likely, again in the summer.

As I said, any other year, I agree, Argentina has the easiest road just based on draw. Not with Maradona though.

Edited by ghdi

• 1 month later...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/02/03/beasley.car.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

GLASGOW, Scotland (AP) -- United States midfielder DaMarcus Beasley's BMW car has been set on fire outside his home in Glasgow.

Police in the Scottish city are continuing to investigate Monday night's incident, which it describes as "willful fireraising."

"Someone blew up my car," Beasley wrote Wednesday on Twitter. "I'm doin ok, just glad no one got hurt."

Beasley, who moved to Glasgow in 2007, added: "In the market for a new car! Lol..Gotta try to find some humor."

Rangers has described it as a "disturbing and deplorable incident."

It was probably a Celtic fan (of which I consider myself one, since I'm 1/2 Scottish and the only other realistic choice for an overseas fan is Rangers :puke:) rather than an English World Cup fan, I don't think Scotland fans give two sh!ts about the English football team, though I could be wrong. I think (key word, think :P) they have their own national team that just never makes it, lol. Someone who knows soccer more than me would probably know.

Still, kind of a weird thing to do...crazy Brits.

Edited by RSC

On another note, I guess we found out all these years later why John Harkes was removed as captain suddenly before '98. Turns out the England captain this year wasn't the first to sleep around with a teammate's significant other :rolleyes:

That Harksie thing was old news..

"Its Short!!

It's White!!

It smells like Waldo's wife,

It's Harskie's Dickkk!

It's Harskie's Dickkk!!"

It was probably a Celtic fan (of which I consider myself one, since I'm 1/2 Scottish and the only other realistic choice for an overseas fan is Rangers :puke:) rather than an English World Cup fan, I don't think Scotland fans give two sh!ts about the English football team, though I could be wrong. I think (key word, think :P) they have their own national team that just never makes it, lol. Someone who knows soccer more than me would probably know.

Still, kind of a weird thing to do...crazy Brits.

Yes they do. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all have their own national soccer team. The last time Scotland qualified for a big tournament was the 1998 world cup, I think. And you're right there is a big rivalry between Scotish and English fans.

TBH England doesn't need to fear the US or one of the other teams in their group. These teams aren't bad, Slovenia beat Russia in the qualification, USA had a great Confed-Cup (as you all should know ;)) and Algeria just beat Ivory Coast in the Africa Cup. But England looked too good in the qualification. It should be a close race for the 2nd place between USA, Slovenia and Algeria though. If USA reaches the next round there's a good chance their next opponent will be Germany.

Edited by GermanDevil

• 3 months later...

Poor performance by the US v the Czechs could probably be summed it by playing players that don't appear in the final roster. The poor performance in the first half v Turkey could be summed up by not having best lineup on the field. The second half was awesome soccer, except for a few minutes, by the US and very encouraging. A team of quality like England is still going to be a massive challenge, but that second half gave me a lot of hope that we can move into the second round.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did you guys know USA is gonna play against Brazil in the Meadowlands on August 10, valid for the confederation cup?? Tix are already on sale now starting $50 each.

At the end of the first half, exciting action so far. But unfortunately all Brazil, 2-0.

I'm anxious to see how the crowd reacts if or when USA scores.