Anyone else really happy with today's turnout?

Elias 2662

I was really getting worried that Lou would bring Madden back at the price Chicago paid him. Gionta I figured was a goner and Rupp and Clemmer aren't huge losses anyhow. Now we can possibly sign some leftover free agents at a reduced (read decent) price and if not, we have some kids to plug in anyway plus Rolston who's been waiting for his second line spot. I certainly hope Lou signs someone like Koivu to be our 2nd line center but I'm reading the panic posts on this board and just don't feel it. I think the day's gone great. Thoughts?

happy we let gio and madden walk.... (could care less about rupp/clemmer walking, they are replaceable)... however i would like to see this team get a center, preferably koivu.. or if not koivu, i wouldn't mind havlat as a winger..

Edited by nmigliore

i have zero problem with what's transpired today - everyone that left had no business back on this team other than perhaps gionta if it was a ridiculously low deal.

lou has made all the right moves to this point.

pelley at $800k > madden at $2.75MM

bergfors at $925k > gionta at 5/25

i wouldn't mind getting a defenseman on a short deal but lou really wants to roll with the 6 we have.

this was a very good team last year. you have to think that while 1 or 2 of elias/parise/langenbrunner will not put up as good stats next year, 1 or more of zajac, rolston, zubrus will make up for that possible decline.

I was really getting worried that Lou would bring Madden back at the price Chicago paid him. Gionta I figured was a goner and Rupp and Clemmer aren't huge losses anyhow. Now we can possibly sign some leftover free agents at a reduced (read decent) price and if not, we have some kids to plug in anyway plus Rolston who's been waiting for his second line spot. I certainly hope Lou signs someone like Koivu to be our 2nd line center but I'm reading the panic posts on this board and just don't feel it. I think the day's gone great. Thoughts?

Besides the Greene signing yea. Sadly Marty is not getting better with age, we still need a better D.

I think Lou wants to give his prospects a chance. young players like Bergfors, Halischuk, Eckford, Corrente, Pelley, Zhardev, etc....

Im not against this, but just not sure if we are in rebuilding mode now or we can be competitive still... :noclue:

I guess I'll assess things after all is said and done. Lou hasn't really done anything for our offense yet. Rupp, Madden and Gio are gone, and we've got nothing in return so far. So when the lineup for our offense becomes clearer, I'll determine whether I think this team has got a shot at anything next year. I hope to see the signing of Zajac to the Devs soon.

I think Lou wants to give his prospects a chance. young players like Bergfors, Halischuk, Eckford, Corrente, Pelley, Zhardev, etc....

Im not against this, but just not sure if we are in rebuilding mode now or we can be competitive still... :noclue:

Eh, I think a team with Parise, Elias, Martin, and Brodeur on it will be a competitive one. We lost supporting roles, not the main cogs.

Pick the players you want to see next season from this list...

ht Weight DOB Age Birthplace

18 Nicklas Bergfors 5' 11" 190 Mar 7, 1987 22 Sodertalje, SWE

Jean-Sebastien Berube 6' 3" 183 Jul 20, 1990 18 Matane, QC, CAN

44 Kevin Cormier 6' 3" 236 Jan 27, 1986 23 Moncton, NB, CAN

Patrice Cormier 6' 2" 201 Jun 14, 1990 19 Moncton, NB, CAN

51 Patrick Davis 6' 2" 188 Dec 28, 1986 22 Sterling, MI, USA

10 Matt Halischuk 5' 11" 173 Jun 1, 1988 21 Toronto, ON, CAN

Adam Henrique 5' 11" 183 Feb 6, 1990 19 Brantford, ON, CAN

Mike Hoeffel 6' 2" 186 Apr 9, 1989 20 North Oaks, MN, USA

Ivan Khomutov 6' 2" 198 Mar 11, 1985 24 Saratov, RUS

Alexander Korolyuk 5' 9" 190 Jan 15, 1976 33 Moscow, RUS

Kory Nagy 5' 11" 196 Oct 12, 1989 19 London, ON, CAN

Nick Palmieri 6' 2" 212 Jul 12, 1989 19 Utica, NY, USA

10 Rod Pelley 6' 0" 200 Sep 1, 1984 24 Kitimat, BC, CAN

Nathan Perkovich 6' 5" 195 Oct 15, 1985 23 Canton, MI, USA

Tuomas Pihlman 6' 2" 215 Nov 13, 1982 26 Espoo, FIN

56 Bradley Snetsinger 6' 2" 195 Apr 8, 1987 22 Ajax, ON, CAN

Vili Sopanen 6' 4" 209 Oct 21, 1987 21 Valkeala, FIN

53 Michael Swift 5' 9" 170 Mar 26, 1987 22 Peterborough, ON, CAN

Alexander Vasyunov 6' 0" 189 Apr 22, 1988 21 Yaroslavl, RUS

22 Petr Vrana 5' 10" 174 Mar 29, 1985 24 Sternberk, CZE

Ben Walter 6' 1" 195 May 11, 1984 25 Beaconsfield, QC, CAN

48 Vladimir Zharkov 6' 0" 187 Jan 10, 1988 21 Elektrostal, RUS

Defensemen

# Player Height Weight DOB Age Birthplace

32 Matthew Corrente 6' 0" 189 Mar 17, 1988 21 Mississauga, ON, CAN

Matt Delahey 6' 1" 215 Sep 25, 1989 19 Moose Jaw, SK, CAN

37 Tyler Eckford 6' 1" 205 Sep 8, 1985 23 Vancouver, BC, CAN

Mark Fayne 6' 3" 195 May 15, 1987 22 Nashua, NH, USA

33 Mark Fraser 6' 3" 220 Sep 29, 1986 22 Ottawa, ON, CAN

Valeri Klimov 6' 3" 202 Jul 17, 1986 22 Moscow, RUS

39 Olivier Magnan-Grenier 6' 2" 190 May 1, 1986 23 Sherbrooke, QC, CAN

Corbin McPherson 6' 4" 210 Sep 7, 1988 20 Folsom, CA, USA

T.J. Miller 6' 4" 200 Sep 15, 1986 22 Placentia, CA, USA

Harry Young 6' 4" 204 Nov 12, 1989 19 Windsor, ON, CAN

Goalies

# Player Height Weight DOB Age Birthplace

31 Jeff Frazee

happy we let gio and madden walk.... (could care less about rupp/clemmer walking, they are replaceable)... however i would like to see this team get a center, preferably koivu.. or if not koivu, i wouldn't mind havlat as a winger..

No thanks, they are both made of glass.

I'm beyond thrilled. This era of pointlessness is finally over. What's the point to continually pay more for the same thing, which isn't working.

This is the first time I'm really happy about the direction of the team in a couple of years.

I'm beyond thrilled. This era of pointlessness is finally over. What's the point to continually pay more for the same thing, which isn't working.

This is the first time I'm really happy about the direction of the team in a couple of years.

+1

That's the spirit sir.

+1

That's the spirit sir.

I would go further than Lou did, I'd get rid of more of them. the core forwards are essentially the same anyway, and those are the only guys that produce. I guess some people want a pre-lockout roster where you can stuff guys on the 3rd and 4th lines that should be higher up, but that's not how it works anymore.

It really sucks to see some of the old guard leave, they were here for a lot of great moments, but in the end it was something that had to be done. We weren't going to win anything with these guys so might as well go cheaper and give the young guys a chance.

I still think our D is ass though. I guess they are serviceable but we just don't have enough on the back line and I just cant see how they can be taken seriously as contenders until they do. I'm not even mad at Lou though. Not many options out there. It is what it is. We're even short at forward but whatever.

I really miss the good old days but its a different time now, a different league and a different team. Lou has a plan. He has ALWAYS iced a competitive squad since he has been here. That won't change. We may have not landed any big fish today but it could be worse. We could have Gainey who is marching that Monteral squad into an abyss that they will be stuck in for years to come.

Glad we lost some age and some weight, but unfortunately we didn't see anything back our way. I'm glad to see Oduya back, and Greene I'm glad we retained too. I'm disappointed Gionta left, but at that price tag he absolutely wasn't worth keeping. Madden was as good as gone which is fine. I just wish we had picked up someone. Koivu would be awesome, long as we get some sort of center in the next few days I'll be totally fine. I'd also like to see Shanny back for a year.

I'd rather give a real shot for Bergfors to play on the 2nd line, than having Gio at 5millions..

I like the path where Lou's headed. really. He hasn't overpaid any FA, and he's not completly finished yet.

People tend to forget how Rolston signing last year would somehow, had an insight on how things would go this yeaar.

Be honest with you, Clemmer & Gionta are the only two that really bothered me today. Scotty would have been a great #2 for the Devils. (especially with Brodeur coming off a season where he missed 50 games) Yeah Kevin's a perfect backup for New Jersey, but if Brodeur goes down again with any type of injury... the bottomline is; Clem > Weekes.

As far as Gio goes, he will do great in Mont. and I will def miss him alot. I've said this before many times... 60 point players don't just grow on tree's. Gonna miss you Brian... good luck.

GIO.jpg

...before all the departure's that happened today, I felt confident (like 75%) that the Devs would resign Shanny. Now after all that happened today, I feel 99% sure. The Devils have currently lost 4 forwards as of this post. (Gionta, Madden, Holik, & Rupp) You can't just loose all these veteran leaders, and replace them with rookies. And as far as signing outside UFA players, Brian Duff put it best. "New Jersey has yet to appoint a Head Coach. If you were a UFA, would you sign with a team before knowing who your coach was going to be?"

A somewhat positive thread about Lou and his decisions? Vanderbeek may also be suffering in terms of cash as you have to remember that NJ has 4 of the wealthiest counties in the COUNTRY, three of which reside in North NJ (Bergen) and we're hurtin here in NJ.

Let the Rags overpay while Lou manages on a shoestring budget which has made him the best GM in sports. Stimulus plans are in effect for Montreal, Rags, Philly and the Isle while NJ puts a competitive team on the ice that will put up 90 to 100 points next year.

7.5 a year for a headline in the morning RAG's?! LOL!

This team will be fine and love the young people here ready to hang a noose and or shoot LOU down when his record speaks for itself.

I'm not upset about losing Madden and Gionta. Not worth the money for us.

What no one seems to be talking about is the expectation (I'd say fact) that the salary cap WILL GO DOWN for 2010-2011. By not signing high priced FAs and pushing us up against the cap, Lou's given us maneuverability for the following year and beyond.

And as far as signing outside UFA players, Brian Duff put it best. "New Jersey has yet to appoint a Head Coach. If you were a UFA, would you sign with a team before knowing who your coach was going to be?"

I really hate that philosophy. Most player's contracts will outlast the coach, so it should have no bearing whatsoever. I hardly ever hear a player say they signed with a team because of the coach. If a player signs a 5 year deal because he likes the coach and the coach gets sh!tcanned after two years, the player requests a trade then? Released?

If anything is related, a player would sign with a team becuase of a system or style of play more then the coach who is directing it. Coaches are disposable items nowadays.

But, players go where the $ is today, plain and simple. Gaborik, Komisarek, Havlat, et al. would be wearing Devils, Thrashers or Blue Jackets sweaters if they were offered enough $.