NJ Devils officialy offers a contract to Saku Koivu

SS-SS

Sorry to get away from the interesting pizza topic but...

Blurb from Lebrun blog on ESPN.com:

[Ducks GM Bob] Murray said his preference at this point is to try to find a No. 2 center. He refused to discuss names, but a source had told ESPN.com last week that the Ducks were among the teams, along with Minnesota, to talk to Koivu's camp. Interestingly, New Jersey, according to a source Monday, was also in the Koivu mix. The Devils lost Gionta and John Madden via free agency.

Not sure whether "was" means that they are now out of the mix? :noclue:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I was originally going to post the reasons why I hope the Devils can land Koivu (for a reasonable price 2 years or less, etc.) but then I read the responses concerning NJ pizza. For starters, I like Connecticut but it ain't no N.J. Secondly, I moved from N.J. to the Midwest and the pizza is so abysmal here that it's too depressing to detail - somehow they took tomato sauce, cheese and dough and created a never-ending nightmare. Thirdly, some of my fondest memories are from hanging out at Tony's pizza in South Brunswick, N.J., where I could eat awesome pizza and play the Berserk video arcade game (cheating nonstop while dropping in a quarter tied to a fishing line so I could have infinity amount of games from one quarter). It was truly bliss. So, all in good fun, if you're going to scurve N.J. pizza, you should talk to some experts (expats?) that truly know what N.J. pizza is all about.

Ive been to NY enough to know that NJ and NYC (Not staten island) pizza are pretty identical. Same water, same dough outcome, which is what matters the most! Went to school in Central PA.. they thought Dominos was good because local pizza is that bad. I don't do that brick oven crap, i like the gritty, dive pizza places... if the pizza is coming from an old guy who speaks italian and has a heavy accent, chances are its going to be good, I don't enjoy pizza made by a 19 year old with a blow out, dropping globs of gel into my sauce, which seems like it happens to me everytime i have to work in Staten Island. Nice.. pretty off topic for only being my 8th post

I miss Summit Pizza in Union City :( lived in North Bergen until I was 12 and that and Scannos were the best! Always go there when I visit my family up there.

The pizza here isnt terrible (VA). There's a place that is owned by some New Yorkers that is quite good, but nothing beats Summit Pizza and their mussels on a cold night.

I also miss Biggie's down in Hoboken for the cheesesteaks and clams!

edit: Back on topic, I'd like to see Koivu still, not much hope we're going to get him though. However, it's not a make or break thing. We get him, great (unless the contract sucks), if we don't, that's fine too.

Edited by ghdi

You don't know New Haven pizza... if you did there's be no conversation here. When we first moved here I did think some of the fourth tear places were a trifle greasy --

And NJ is worse than NYC and LI. I've lived all three places for LI - 5 years (huntington) 10 years exclusively - now the folks live there so... 8 years in Manhattan and good lawrd! 12 years in NJ. AND I was born in Michigan - lived in St Paul and Bismarck -- Im telling you - pizza in NJ is just not that different from out there - doughy crap with caned tomato sauce. The only thing saving NJ is the cheese - I'll be truthful. some places have the best mozzarella. You CAN get good italian food here! But pizza is not a NJ strong suit

and as for Koivu -- I think he'd be a great fit if he wanted to come and if he wants too he;ll be at the right price... so many variables -- I'll trust Lou on the terms of any contract - I can't get my head around what I have ZERO real info on. But he'd be a great addition. Although -- like Sundin, I dont know if he's go the edge really required I dont knwo if his being a great giuy is enough - you kind of have to be an a$$hole to really get things going.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Maybe Koivu is making his choice based on the local pizza

If that was the case, he'd be a Ranger (or a Devil) because Arturos in the Village on Thompson and Houston has the best pizza I've ever tasted. I know Jamie will agree.

Ive been to NY enough to know that NJ and NYC (Not staten island) pizza are pretty identical. Same water, same dough outcome, which is what matters the most! Went to school in Central PA.. they thought Dominos was good because local pizza is that bad. I don't do that brick oven crap, i like the gritty, dive pizza places... if the pizza is coming from an old guy who speaks italian and has a heavy accent, chances are its going to be good, I don't enjoy pizza made by a 19 year old with a blow out, dropping globs of gel into my sauce, which seems like it happens to me everytime i have to work in Staten Island. Nice.. pretty off topic for only being my 8th post

Ever have Valducci's in SI? That's my favorite on the island. I'm only two hours north of the city but the pizza is just terrible in comparison to anything you can get down there. And it seems to just get worse, the further away from the city you go the worse the pizza, my personal favorite is something my dad use to get when he was a kid, LnB Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn, it should be the gold standard for pizza imo. When ever I'm in the area I'll pick up 4-5 pies to bring home and warm up.

If that was the case, he'd be a Ranger (or a Devil) because Arturos in the Village on Thompson and Houston has the best pizza I've ever tasted. I know Jamie will agree.

Yeah, see... it's just not all that to me -- New Haven spoils you for sure.

Dustin Hoffman goes to Arturos.... :evil::rolleyes:

but that said the Whalers are no more so... CT is out of the running no matter how good their pizza is.

There was the BEST breakfast place on Houston right across form there -- they had really good oatmeal with fruit called Aggies --- I think they've gone though...

Edited by Pepperkorn

Yeah, see... it's just not all that to me -- New Haven spoils you for sure.

Dustin Hoffman goes to Arturos.... :evil:

but that said the Whalers are no more so... CT is out of the running no matter how good their pizza is.

Montreal actually has really good pizza.

But my older sis could tell you, spend any amount of time out of the NY NJ area, and you would long for pizza from ANY establishment around here. My older sis lives in Nashville and says NJ has the best pizza and Chinese food haha

Montreal actually has really good pizza.

But my older sis could tell you, spend any amount of time out of the NY NJ area, and you would long for pizza from ANY establishment around here. My older sis lives in Nashville and says NJ has the best pizza and Chinese food haha

The city alone for Chinese food -- you can get some great really clean options -- unless you eat at a friends house here in Jerz! Bagels - ONLY in NYC - you just can't find them anywhere else, maybe the Island - I honestly dont recall from our days there - my dad worked in Brooklyn so...who knew where the bagels came from.

Ever had Essa bagels? Right around the corner from my old place on 22nd Street.

Edited by Pepperkorn

The city alone for Chinese food -- you can get some great really clean options -- unless you eat at a friends house here in Jerz! Bagels - ONLY in NYC - you just can't find them anywhere else, maybe the Island - I honestly dont recall from our days there - my dad worked in Brooklyn so...who knew where the bagels came from.

Ever had Essa bagels? Right around the corner from my old place on 22nd Street.

Never heard of Essa Bagels. I actually just get them from Clark Bagels here in Clark and I think they are really good.

My cousin Dalia took a bag of like 15 bagels from there to bring back to Italy because she couldn't get enough of them and they don't have bagels over there... or pancakes..

LL, DIG, or any of the other Monmouth folk; have you guys been to the new place in Howell/Farmingdale? Bruno's? LL, if you remember 3 brothers from Belmar one of the guys that ran that has opened up shop in Farmingdale. Very good pizza, doughy you should try it. Plus they have those huge 24 inch pies.

LL, DIG, or any of the other Monmouth folk; have you guys been to the new place in Howell/Farmingdale? Bruno's? LL, if you remember 3 brothers from Belmar one of the guys that ran that has opened up shop in Farmingdale. Very good pizza, doughy you should try it. Plus they have those huge 24 inch pies.

Im in Middletown...thats kinda far for pizza. I go to Red Bank Pizza personally. I enjoy Pete and Elda's too. I love doing the pizza pie challenge.

Ray's Real Pizza, Keyport/Hazlet, Straight out of NY. Great food !