2009 CONCACAF Gold Cup (soccer) USA men in the final

Satans Hockey

How much weight should we give to this fact, considering the outcome?

The quality of the players playing means everything. This is a VERY loose analogy, but if there was some random preseason hockey tournament in which the Trenton Devils played the Hartford WolfPack and lost, would you be upset? Yeah, maybe some because our rival franchise just beat us at SOMETHING and that pisses you off. Especially if they got slaughtered and didn't even give themselves a chance in the game, just like what happened in the second half of the U.S.-Mexico game. But in the big picture? It's not as big of a deal (for us) as everyone seems to be making of it, and the young U.S. players got one hell of a learning experience from it.

(Of course if you're Mexico and haven't beaten the U.S. on U.S. soil in almost a decade, it is a big deal. They're getting desperate.)

Ug -- sometimes being right sucks...

I dont know if there was much we could have done about this considering the A team just finished up the Confederations Cup. True this is our C team so we neednt go crazy but 5 is an awful bloated score .. and this gives Mexico a lifeline it needed for more than 8 years giving away the recent mystique we held over the southern team. This will give an added incentive to our boys in Mexico City

I agree completely.

but another loss (very likely) will start undermining years of soccer progress in the US.

This is probably an overstatement (esp. given the Confed Cup performance), unless you envision it to be the beginning of a tailspin that leads to the U.S. being forced into a playoff with CONMEBOL and possibly not qualifying.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quality of the players playing means everything. This is a VERY loose analogy, but if there was some random preseason hockey tournament in which the Trenton Devils played the Hartford WolfPack and lost, would you be upset? Yeah, maybe some because our rival franchise just beat us at SOMETHING and that pisses you off. Especially if they got slaughtered and didn't even give themselves a chance in the game, just like what happened in the second half of the U.S.-Mexico game. But in the big picture? It's not as big of a deal (for us) as everyone seems to be making of it, and the young U.S. players got one hell of a learning experience from it.

(Of course if you're Mexico and haven't beaten the U.S. on U.S. soil in almost a decade, it is a big deal. They're getting desperate.)

I agree completely.

This is probably an overstatement (esp. given the Confed Cup performance), unless you envision it to be the beginning of a tailspin that leads to the U.S. being forced into a playoff with CONMEBOL and possibly not qualifying.

We had no business in the Confederations finals..

Short-term as it pertains to this years' 2010 qualifiers a loss would put the US in almost the same shape Mexico is in to win every game henceforth and not making the WC would be a huge hit to US soccer .... But long term, this has changed everything in the balance of power to the Concacaf region. The Devs had the rags number for a long time but the minute they got a whiff of a win they took advantage and its been a different story since. I have been listening to mexican sports radio all day and the attitude has changed, the fans, the front office and the players (who played well thru the tourney including G.DosSantos who the US didnt have an answer for) all believe this is a new chapter. This kind of win can do that, 3 years from now noone will remember that the US had an alternative squad and the "Mexico gana 5-0 a E.E. U.U. en Nueva York" headline will be the only thing remembered.

This kind of win can do that, 3 years from now noone will remember that the US had an alternative squad and the "Mexico gana 5-0 a E.E. U.U. en Nueva York" headline will be the only thing remembered.

Well hopefully if the US and mexico meet again in the finals next year we can beat them badly.

• 3 weeks later...

this was the best game i have ever been to and i have been a metrostar season ticket holder since 96. love EVERY minute of it! i know it didnt mean sh!t and never will, but to finnaly beat the us on their home soil for the first time in over a decade, and to be there to see it live.. loved it!

this was the best game i have ever been to and i have been a metrostar season ticket holder since 96. love EVERY minute of it! i know it didnt mean sh!t and never will, but to finnaly beat the us on their home soil for the first time in over a decade, and to be there to see it live.. loved it!

umm.....90% of those games have been total sh!t.