Zajac files for Arbitration

CADevilsFan

New Jersey Devils center Travis Zajac opts for salary arbitration

Zajac, who earned $984,000 last season, has been unable to work out a new deal with the team. He is one of 20 NHL players who have chosen salary arbitration.

Hmmmm... Well that's sucks.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone explain what this means.. I know what arbitration is but what does this mean for Zajac and the team?

I think that means that they will have until a date to negociate and then a third party (neutral party) will decide

the player salary and then UFA

Edited by SS-SS

It means someone didn't drink their KoolAid this month......

Most likely Lou is low balling and Travis's agent thinks he's worth more, just what we need.

I say this effectively ends any Koivu speculation as Lou has to figure what the $$ figure will be for Travis, if he can even resign him at all.

So he will remain with the Devils we just don't know for how much?

It means Lou needs to sign him before the hearing otherwise a Judge will decide how much he makes for 09-10 season and then he's a UFA.

This is a nightmare if Lou doesn't sign him before the hearing.

Edited by NJ4life

It means someone didn't drink their KoolAid this month......

Most likely Lou is low balling and Travis's agent thinks he's worth more, just what we need.

I say this effectively ends any Koivu speculation as Lou has to figure what the $$ figure will be for Travis, if he can even resign him at all.

What the fvck is that greaaat Summer...even the fvcking first line is not a sure thing.

This would be a huge blow if Lou can't rectify this.

Both him and Martin UFA's next year....wow. He'll make $4-5M on the open market. (overpaid but he will)

Interesting to note that RAGS Callahan and Zhedrez are doing the same....

Edited by DevilinLA

I think that means that they will have until a date to negociate and then a third party (neutral party) will decide

the player salary

And I think typically the player and team come to an agreement before it actually goes to arbitration. Now, if it goes to arbitration and the Devs do not like the deal, they can walk away and Travis would be a UFA.

Didnt Gomez go to arbitation twice?

Well, I may be mistaken but in the process of going to arbitration, no one may offer the player a contract. So Zajac is most likely safe for this season at least and I am sure Lou will do his best to get Zajac under a contract for several years.

According to the article: Until the arbitration process takes place, other NHL clubs can submit an offer sheet in an effort to sign Zajac.

I'm sure he'll be re-signed, the question is how much $

You're right, my mistake.

But it would be another larger salary to budget for in the near future.

no, not really. i really don't think arbitration and a long-term contract will differ on zajac's value much. if lou is saying 'look you won't get more than parise', travis is right to at least have the threat of arbitration. my guess is this gets settled before it goes there.

According to the article: Until the arbitration process takes place, other NHL clubs can submit an offer sheet in an effort to sign Zajac.

I'm sure he'll be re-signed, the question is how much $

Well TG wrote since the player is the one who elected to go to arbitration he can't sign an offer sheet. So at least we don't have that to worry about...if he's right, I guess either he or Chere is mistaken.

Edited by Hasan4978