Louis Lamoriello State of Address

Louis Lamoriello

Good morning all. Please settle down and I would be happy to answer all of your various questions. I hope you have all had a great and festus weekend. I just returned from Panera Bread with a fresh Spinach and Artichoke Baked Egg Souffles. Just wonderful.

In other news, I would like to go over a few things in regards to what is going on with our great organization. Unfortuately we lost a few great players who have had a long history here with us. Im talking about Brian Gionta, John Madden, Scott Clemmensen and Michael Rupp. This is not a sad day, but we have lost a group of individuals with great character and skill. I will tirelessly be working to fill in the holes and gaps to make our team a #1 contender in the league. I wish them all the best in their future endeavors and with their new organizations. In regards to signing Scott Clemmensen as our backup, there's no question he's an outstanding talent and he's going to do very well. Whether it was just not getting the opportunity or it just didn't work out, we gave up a top prospect.

Right now, I don't think we're looking at anything other than signing the right individuals and letting the end results take care of themselves and chip away at generating team chemistry. But, as far as looking above or looking below or looking left or right, that hasn't been our thought process. Our thought process is just getting ready for the upcoming season and staying focused and playing as well as we can. If we can get better, we will.

I have been in constant talks with Travis Zajac on negotiating a new contract, but Travis and his agent have opted to go into arbitration. As a general manager, you try to avoid a situation like this but sometimes it is unavoidable. I have made an offer to Saku Koivu of the Montreal Canadiens, as well as a few more "mystery" players from Europe. I look forward to updating you in the next few days on our progress. I am feverishly working on finding an adequate replacement for Brent Sutter and also hope to announce a new coach in the upcoming weeks.

As far as the rest of our talent on the team, it's like everything else. If you can get better, you do. But certainly you look at it with a little more emphasis this time of year. I am also in talks with Brendan Shanahan's agent, as both the New Jersey Devils and Brendan are interested in looking for a contract extension and keeping Brendan here in New Jersey. My number one concern however was signing our UFA defensemen, in regards to Johnny Oduya and especially Andrew Greene. Andrew will be a pivotol key in our defensive system this year and we look forward to pairing him with Colin White this year.

I think you have to look at the people that you have in your lineup and try to support where you think there are some needs. Certainly, what happened to our defense, we had needs there and I just think it's going to help all the players to find a #1 or #2 defenseman. I don't like total disruption. It's trying to keep the puzzle whole. Attention to detail and focus have been a signature of our team for many, many years, the way we match lines and play. We started to get back to that and playing a patient game. I look forward to our continued success this year and rounding out the team as a whole, keeping our "core" of players. Thank you for your time and continued support.

-L

Edited by Louis Lamoriello

anyone see that episode of Spongebob where he rips his pants...that's a lot like this...a little funny, but slightly less than before...but hey its a long offseason and it beats complaining...for now :)

and besides, i thought Lou was short for Lou-cifer not Louis....maybe Lou-dward, Lou-seph, Lou-topher?

Edited by UnderDogX

Hey Lou, long time listener, first time caller.

Two questions:

1) When you say "make the team better", have you in fact looked into acquiring the services of Dany Heatley this offseason? Because when it comes to the Devils and their team-building activities, they do need someone who can navigate the team bus through the tough streets of Newark with ease.

2) What's your opinion of the whole mess with the contracts in Chicago?

1) When you say "make the team better", have you in fact looked into acquiring the services of Dany Heatley this offseason? Because when it comes to the Devils and their team-building activities, they do need someone who can navigate the team bus through the tough streets of Newark with ease.

I would assume any team minus Mike Rupp is in a superior position for success :P

anyone see that episode of Spongebob where he rips his pants...that's a lot like this...a little funny, but slightly less than before.

Yes! Good comparison!

When big Larry came around to put him down

Spongebob turned into a clown

And no girl ever wants to dance

With a fool who went and ripped his pants.

Hey Lou, long time listener, first time caller.

Two questions:

2) What's your opinion of the whole mess with the contracts in Chicago?

Thank you for your questions Hi, I'm VALUE!. In regards to Daniel Heatley, I felt that he would not make a good fit with the current "core" group of players we have here and also his current contract and asking price was much higher than what we were prepared to offer for his talent and services.

As far as the situation in Chicago goes, it seems like a pretty amateur move for their general manger to not take all the factors into consideration when signing new or current talent. I wish them all the best in figuring out a solution to their problem.

Imposer, what is a 'State Of Address' What are you addressing? Of? The State? What?

State of the Team Address maybe?

Lou

Thank you for your comment CMONLOU. Albeit positive and negative comments are always welcome, as I know how to take constructive criticism well, and have learned that in order to succeed, sometimes we have to take a step back and observe before we may lead again. As far as being called an imposer, maybe you meant to use the word imposter? But that is ok, this coming from a young man who has signed up in February of 2008 and with less than 60 posts, has been in so many words "absent" to the fans questions and concerns, when I have signed up less than a month ago and have almost a quarter of that number. I am here to inform our great fans, of this great organization, and possibly add some comic relief to the message board this off season.

As far as the Spongebob references go, Im not sure if we have a group of individuals here on this board that just like cartoons, dedicated parents or are in fact adolescents? For the parents, I remember watching great shows like Sesame Street and Howdy Doody with my children.

Thank you for your questions.

-L

Personally, I'm not worried about this team. So long as we have Brodeur in net, and a bulk of remaining players who have played together, we're a playoff team.

The lack of UFA signings now doesn't mean we'll do nothing at the trade deadline. In fact, it might be a sign that we will go for a rental, which may be ultimately better than signing some 4-5 year contract right now.

Losing Rupp/Clem... insignificant. The Clem season was a one-time thing, and Brody will play 70 games this year.

Losing Madden/Gionta... significant, but maybe not as much as people are assuming. Madden had a fairly weak season, so his "offense" won't be missed (nor his failing to score on 2 on 1's repeatedly). Do I think Rod Pelley can be as good as Madden right away? No. Zubrus? No. But could they learn the craft? Yes.

This model of team building is why the Devils are the Devils. Promote from within. Create a team of homegrowns. That is our strength. Just as Madden (and for a time, Pederson) inherited the Carpenter duties, now the torch is passed again, and while I am a fan of Malhotra, Lou probably realizes he'd rather pay a guy Pelley money to check, rather than present Pando or Zubrus money, so most likely Madden is not replaced by a UFA.

For Gionta, yeah, 55 pts on the right side is something to consider. Is it worth 5 million dollars? No. Again, a promotion from within is likely. Either Zubrus gets his act together (not likely), or we see a guy like Bergfors showcase his stuff. Will a Bergfors score 55 pts? No. Might a Bergfors score 35-40 pts? Could be. At any rate, as the mantra has always been, everyone picks up the slack.

I'm actually excited to see guys like Zajac, Clarkson take on bigger roles, and don't forgot, Rolston was a useless spare part and will look to redeem himself this year, so those extra points could easily come from him.

Onward and upward. No big deal if we don't sign anyone else right now.

Dear Lou,

What should we do about posers on this board who impersonate other people and start useless threads?

Sincerely,

SC Devs Fan

Not sure on that one SC Devs Fan. Possibly send them to South Carolina with the rest of the people who dont share a sense of humor? Im just saying..

-L

Not sure on that one SC Devs Fan. Possibly send them to South Carolina with the rest of the people who dont share a sense of humor? Im just saying..

-L

So Lou you're saying people in South Carolina don't have a sense of humor?

Or are you saying people from South Carolina don't understand your pointless drivel?

Oh this is getting entertaining like a guilty pleasure, like wrestling.

I could tell it isn't the real lou though do to the fact that hes treating the fans like they essential to the organization, and is answering questions with things I understand, not his usual Yoda type pearls of wisdom.

-L

HA! That was a good one :giggle:

If you don't like the thread then ignore it ;)

HA! That was a good one :giggle:

If you don't like the thread then ignore it ;)

Not Funny at all.

Tough to ignore given the title, and all of us are on the edge of our seats waiting for any news on any UFA's or Zajac.

Please stop this nonsense its not clever or funny.

Tough to ignore given the title, and all of us are on the edge of our seats waiting for any news on any UFA's or Zajac.

I'm just as eager, but I would think that after reading the thread once you wouldn't see the title again and be suckered back in..

Seems the mods don't mind and the great thing about NJDevs is that it's a very loosely moderated forum.. Are you saying they aren't doing their jobs by letting this go on? I personally don't care for the thread but I'm always quick to defend a member's right to post so long as it doesn't violate what few rules we have