2009-2010 New York Jets Thread

RockingTheRed81

"Losing season after losing season."?? From 2000-now, they have only had losing seasons in 2003, 2005, & 2007. 6 winning seasons, and 3 losing seasons so far this decade.

You could even go back further than 2K. Since the nightmare that was 1996... the Jets subsequently, have had only 3 losing seasons since. During that time, the Jets have made the playoffs five times.. won the Division on two occasions.. played in a Championship game.. and tied a franchise best, seasonal overall record at *12-4 in 1998.

Well that post last night was out of just anger and me being frustrated. It might have come out kinda stupid, but I really doubt i will attend another game for a while. I kinda overexagerated with the "long suffering" sh!t.

I understand the frustration in where you're coming from. You've just got to realize.. the high competitive level in the Conference we play for, is far more intense than that of the NFC. It has been very difficult for teams to contend within the AFC over the past 12 years. Take this season for example; -only 4 of the 16 teams than play in the AFC, have losing records! (Browns, Bills, Oak & KC) Now scratch the surface further, and dissect the Division we've played in over the years. (at least since I've been a fan) For the past 3 decades, there has been one dominate team within the AFC East, that manages to bully the Division.. into submission. The class of the AFC East in the 80's was Miami. The Marino led Dolphins were a machine, who went to multiple Superbowls, and dominated the Conference. Then the 90's came roaring, and the Bills along with them. 4 consecutive Superbowls, and as many Division titles to boot. Do I really need to go into who the team was of the 00's?

*In fact, let's examine the past few Superbowls. From 1991 - 2009 (18 years) there have been 9 Superbowls.. where the team representing the AFC.. is from the AFC EAST! This means (on average) every OTHER season, the team from the AFC that goes to the Superbowl, comes from our Division.

~Bottomline. - The Jets have had success in recent years, it just hasn't translated into a Superbowl Championship. :mellow:

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the frustration in where you're coming from. You've just got to realize.. the high competitive level in the Conference we play for, is far more intense than that of the NFC. It has been very difficult for teams to contend within the AFC over the past 12 years. Take this season for example; -only 4 of the 16 teams than play in the AFC, have losing records! (Browns, Bills, Oak & KC) Now scratch the surface further, and dissect the Division we've played in over the years. (at least since I've been a fan) For the past 3 decades, there has been one dominate team within the AFC East, that manages to bully the Division.. into submission. The class of the AFC East in the 80's was Miami. The Marino led Dolphins were a machine, who went to multiple Superbowls, and dominated the Conference. Then the 90's came roaring, and the Bills along with them. 4 consecutive Superbowls, and as many Division titles to boot. Do I really need to go into who the team was of the 00's?

*In fact, let's examine the past few Superbowls. From 1991 - 2009 (18 years) there have been 9 Superbowls.. where the team representing the AFC.. is from the AFC EAST! This means (on average) every OTHER season, the team from the AFC that goes to the Superbowl, comes from our Division.

~Bottomline. - The Jets have had success in recent years, it just hasn't translated into a Superbowl Championship. :mellow:

Yea, i know, I just let my emotions get the best of my head, and when i get like that I dont think and sh!t I say somethimes comes out stupid.

The playoff scenarios are surprisingly not so far fetched

for week 16, root for Philly vs. Denver. Eagles gunning for the division, will probably win

root for Patriots :puke: vs. Jaguars. Again, Pats trying for the division title and at home. Can't see them losing.

root for Houston against the Fish. We need Miami to lose this week or next.

depending on if Indy decides to take the week off...the Jets have a not so outlandish shot of going into week 17 with controlling their own destiny against a Cincy team that might be resting regulars themselves

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&15=50000401&16=55105405 :pray:

The playoff scenarios are surprisingly not so far fetched

for week 16, root for Philly vs. Denver. Eagles gunning for the division, will probably win

root for Patriots :puke: vs. Jaguars. Again, Pats trying for the division title and at home. Can't see them losing.

root for Houston against the Fish. We need Miami to lose this week or next.

depending on if Indy decides to take the week off...the Jets have a not so outlandish shot of going into week 17 with controlling their own destiny against a Cincy team that might be resting regulars themselves

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&15=50000401&16=55105405 :pray:

Honestly, I don't see us beating Indy, nor do i see Houston beating the fvcking Fish. I just can't see us making the playoffs. Had we won Sunday, i wouldn't be so so negative, but now, i give up on this season, and look to next.

"What you have here with Favre and Childress isn't a short term issue, it's a long term issue. I'm being told, if push comes to shove, the Vikings organization will stand by Childress. The way things look as of right now, it's very possible Favre choses not to return to Minnesota next season." -Adam Schefter.

Power struggles, arguments, yelling expletive(s), a locker room divided... what happened here in Minnesota? The Vikings (who began the season 10-1) have lost 2 of their last 3 games, and have been showcased as a soup opera regarding the Favre\Childress antics over the past 4 days. So much so, that it's gotten to the point of a press conference this afternoon with the media.. to address the in-house fighting. *DISCLAIMER: What you will hear from Chilly & Brett today, will be the biggest dish of lip-service Minnesota has served all season. There will be hugging, there will be kissing, and the sporting world will walk away satisfied.. totally convinced the love'fest has returned to the Purple People Eaters. Here's the problem with that: the Vikings have already made it known.. they don't want Favre to play every game. HUGE no-no for that organization, because when it comes to Favre (just ask Green Bay) there is no other quarterback that plays for his team. Favre takes every single solitary snap for whichever team he plays for.. and even the notion of that team playing someone else, will send Favre packing to the next team, quicker than you can say Broadway Brett.

So let's look ahead to 2010, to see if we can't predict who the 5th team will be that gets Brother Brett. Where else could Favre go? He's burned his bridge essentially everywhere he's played. (all except one team that is ;) ) Minnesota won't let Favre control the Vikings. (just as Green Bay didn't allow him to control the Packers) But there is one organization that let Favre do, whatever Favre wanted to do. Folks, like it or not, that organization is the New York Jets.

Favre11.jpg

Go ahead and scoff, laugh, and roll your eye's... but just remember, (if and when it occurs) you heard it here first. Above all else (above even owning the team) Mr. T & Woody love Favre. Favre left with both their blessings, and continues to be on "incredibly good terms" (-Franccesa's words) with both Tannenbaum AND Johnson. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Tannenbaum is calling Favre throughout this whole fiasco already, laying the foundation for an exit strategy come next season. If the rumors of sitting Sanchez next year to "learn" and finding a mentor to teach him for a season are all true.., I can't think of anyone else that would make more headlines & sell more PSL's (which let's face it, is the only thing the Jets upper management cares about) than Brett "the Jet" Favre. Especially with Shaun Ellis, Thomas Jones, Kerry Rhodes, and essentially everyone who had beef with Favre, rumored to be shipped out next season for Gang Green. Furthermore.. you don't think Prima Dona misses the New York spotlights, as much as Woody misses him?

The bottomline to all this is such: *If Minnesota goes to the Superbowl, or at least deep into the playoffs, Favre comes back next year for the Vike's. However, if the Vikings choke continues throughout the duration of the season.. or if the drama heightens even further, Minnesota & Green Bay fans will have more in common than ever. Either way, when it comes Favre.. never say never.

Edited by Beezer34

........*W.W.W.

*Wearing the *White, *Works! You want to talk about karma, luck, & superstition? Well here's some good ju`ju for Rex Ryan to chew on... -The Jets are 5-1 this season when sporting the white-pants\white-jersey combo. Let's take a page out of the Cowboys book... DON THE WHITEOUT UNI's 24\7! Not the green-pants\white-jersey combo.. Not the white-pants\green-jersey combo.. and Not the green-pants\green-jersey combo. All White! Clean & Mean that's the motto. Make the opposing team think an avalanche is coming for them. It almost looks like the Colts when they do the whiteout. (being that Indy & the Jets helmets are both white also) Instill fear, make it the teams' M.O. They've lost only 1 time this season when wearing them, and 1 time (Chargers) last season when wearing them. Rock the White! You have to wear the away white's anyway when you're the road team, and when you're the home team.. you can wear whatever hell you want. Dallas has been doing the same thing for a hundred years.

....Gang Green White!

bump.

Three cheers for the Indianapolis Colts! Jet fans' All-TIme 2nd Favorite team!!

Since seeing Johnny Unitas walk off disgusted, having to watch the Jets celebrate Superbowl III, at the hands of his beloved team.. any memory Jet fans have of the Colts, has to put a smile on their face. (I know I smile anyway)

*1997: Jets\Colts. Jets win 16-12, after being the only team (THAT season) to hold Indianapolis to zero touchdowns throughout 60 minute's.

*1998: Jets\Colts. Black & Blue. The Jets steamroll over Indy 44-6, injuring an unprecedented five Colts players in the process. (by halftime)

*2000: Jets\Colts. "Aint over 'till it's over." Jets claw back to win 27-17, after scoring 24 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter of the game.

*2001: Jets\Colts. *The 1-Point Miracle. Day before Christmas Eve, Testaverde's Jets, win 29-28 on a 40 yrd pass, with :58 left in the game!!

*2003: Jets\Colts. Playoff Game. Jets eliminate Indianapolis with a 41-0 beating, as Pennington outshines Peyton.. going 20\25, with 3 TD's.

*2009: ...tack on ANOTHER moment.

1-3.jpg

The undefeated Colts, winning an NFL record 23 consecutive victories! The dominate team of our generation, with their 100-28 overall record since 2002.. cough up the Perfect Season in mindboggling fashion. They bench the greatest quarterback in the league.. throw a 3rd string stooge to the lions.. and giftwrap a playoff-lifesaving victory to Gang Green. (which by doing so, fvcks the Dolphins in the process)

...yeah, Christmas came 2 days late for Jet fans. smiley-cool06.gif

Edited by Beezer34

Three cheers for the Indianapolis Colts! Jet fans' All-TIme 2nd Favorite team!!

Since seeing Johnny Unitas walk off disgusted, having to watch the Jets celebrate Superbowl III, at the hands of his beloved team.. any memory Jet fans have of the Colts, has to put a smile on their face. (I know I smile anyway)

*1997: Jets\Colts. Jets win 16-12, after being the only team (THAT season) to hold Indianapolis to zero touchdowns throughout 60 minute's.

*1998: Jets\Colts. Black & Blue. The Jets steamroll over Indy 44-6, injuring an unprecedented five Colts players in the process. (by halftime)

*2000: Jets\Colts. "Aint over 'till it's over." Jets claw back to win 27-17, after scoring 24 unanswered points in the 3rd quarter of the game.

*2001: Jets\Colts. *The 1-Point Miracle. Day before Christmas Eve, Testaverde's Jets, win 29-28 on a 40 yrd pass, with :58 left in the game!!

*2003: Jets\Colts. Playoff Game. Jets eliminate Indianapolis with a 41-0 beating, as Pennington outshines Peyton.. going 20\25, with 3 TD's.

*2009: ...tack on ANOTHER moment.

The undefeated Colts, winning an NFL record 23 consecutive victories! The dominate team of our generation, with their 100-28 overall record since 2002.. cough up the Perfect Season in mindboggling fashion. They bench the greatest quarterback in the league.. throw a 3rd string stooge to the lions.. and giftwrap a playoff-lifesaving victory to Gang Green. (which by doing so, fvcks the Dolphins in the process)

...yeah, Christmas came 2 days late for Jet fans. smiley-cool06.gif

The headlines in today's papers should have said "PAINTER PUTS JETS ON PRECIPICE OF PLAYOFFS!" or "PAINTER PAINTS JETS IN PLAYOFF PICTURE?"

110209_mike_westhoff_320.jpg

Be it Jerricho Cotchery.. Justin Miller.. Leon Washington.. Brad Smith, it really doesn't matter. We're DAMN dangerous when it comes to Special Teams. Since 2004; *We've earned a total of 10 punt\kick return's, that have gone all the way for touchdowns. That's an average of 2 KR-TD's per season.

He may be 100 years old (and fighting bone cancer) but Mike Westhoff better live forever... because the Jets Special Teams has never looked as good.

Rollercoaster season. The year (essentially) came down to one gigantic losing streak, sandwiched in between 2 winning streaks .. We start the season 3-0.. then go on a span of 7 games, where we manage to win just 1 throughout the stretch.. only to finish up the season winning 4 of our last 5 game, going into tonight's game.

I think all Jet fans would've figured (prior to the start of the season) this team, with a rookie quarterback.. and a rookie head coach; will end up anywhere between 8-8 to 9-7, come the end of the year. The thing is, nobody could've guessed that THAT would be enough to get into the playoffs for the Jets. (in the AFC no less) In a Conference where the cream rises (just ask the 11-5 Pats last year) you can be a quality 9-7, 10-6 type team.. and still miss the postseason. That didn't happen this year for the Jets. They had some horrible luck throughout the season (5 loses by 4 points or less, decided within the closing seconds of the game) but this was evened-out by some incredibly fortunate luck by seasons' end.

Either way, for me.. anything that happens from here on is gravy. Even if Cincy blows us out next Saturday, at least the kid got some playoff experience under his belt. At least he can say, hey, I help lead my team into the playoffs, and got some snaps in the postseason going forward.

This question has already been asked to me from my friends: *Do you think the Jets can make it all the way to the Superbowl? :mellow:

I really have no clue. If they can beat Cincy in the rematch, is it likely that (at that point) they can find a way to manufacture 2 more victories? -No. But again, that's why we play the games... because you never know.

PS: 30 all-around TD's over the past 2 seasons from Thomas Jones!

Edited by Beezer34

Since the nightmare that was 1996... the Jets subsequently, have had only 3 losing seasons since. During that time, the Jets have made the playoffs 6 TIMES.. won the Division on two occasions.. played in a Championship game.. and tied a franchise best, seasonal overall record at *12-4 in 1998.

fixed. B )

If the Jets can dominate the line of Scrimmage next week, they will be in the next round without a problem.

As powerful as Jones is (and the novelty's of Braylon, Smith, & J'Co) this defense is the best Jets defense that I've seen in a LONG time. This isn't a defense built on just Revis, or any one player for that matter. (and they proved that when Jenkins went down) Unlike the Polamalu-Steelers, the Jets are NOT just some "One'Trick-Pony" type defense. This is a collective group, who operate under one philosophy: No one player, is more important than the other. *7 different Jets have picked off interceptions this season. *11 different Jets have forced fumbles this season. *10 different Jets have recorded sacks this season.

I believe in the Jets defense. It is ranked #1 for a reason. They can put points on the board, and shutdown teams.

On a side note, (and this is directed to someone who knows who they are) the bleeding hearts for Manning's Colts (led by Fat Man Francesa) choose to look the other way when it comes to cold-hard facts. And the cold-hard fact remains - Peyton for 3 Quarters DID NOTHING! He was pressured on every snap, and held to under 200 yards and ZERO touchdowns. He was told; "Go out there, and put as many points on the board as you can." -and managed to muster up a 15-10 lead. If the haters wish to look into a crystal ball, and say; "Oh yeah, but if he played the 4th.. Indy would've won" then please tell me, WHAT IS THE POINT IN EVEN PLAYING THE GAMES TO BEGIN WITH?!?

Don't be fooled by the games in which the Hotdog was asked to do too much for Gang Green this season... because that recipe's dead. The Jets are undefeated with an 8-0 record, when winning the turnover battle in games this season. The games where Schottenheimer finally got it, and realized: "Hey, I gotta put the ball in Jones' hands. Not a 22 year old kids." That's when the Jets season finally turned the corner. Go study those games! Go look at the games against Houston, New England, Indy, Atlanta, Cincinnati (all teams with winning records I might add) these teams where shutdown completely.

The Jets will go.. as far as their defense takes them. Period.

As powerful as Jones is (and the novelty's of Braylon, Smith, & J'Co) this defense is the best Jets defense that I've seen in a LONG time. This isn't a defense built on just Revis, or any one player for that matter. (and they proved that when Jenkins went down) Unlike the Polamalu-Steelers, the Jets are NOT just some "One'Trick-Pony" type defense. This is a collective group, who operate under one philosophy: No one player, is more important than the other. *7 different Jets have picked off interceptions this season. *11 different Jets have forced fumbles this season. *10 different Jets have recorded sacks this season.

I believe in the Jets defense. It is ranked #1 for a reason. They can put points on the board, and shutdown teams.

On a side note, (and this is directed to someone who knows who they are) the bleeding hearts for Manning's Colts (led by Fat Man Francesa) choose to look the other way when it comes to cold-hard facts. And the cold-hard fact remains - Peyton for 3 Quarters DID NOTHING! He was pressured on every snap, and held to under 200 yards and ZERO touchdowns. He was told; "Go out there, and put as many points on the board as you can." -and managed to muster up a 15-10 lead. If the haters wish to look into a crystal ball, and say; "Oh yeah, but if he played the 4th.. Indy would've won" then please tell me, WHAT IS THE POINT IN EVEN PLAYING THE GAMES TO BEGIN WITH?!?

Don't be fooled by the games in which the Hotdog was asked to do too much for Gang Green this season... because that recipe's dead. The Jets are undefeated with an 8-0 record, when winning the turnover battle in games this season. The games where Schottenheimer finally got it, and realized: "Hey, I gotta put the ball in Jones' hands. Not a 22 year old kids." That's when the Jets season finally turned the corner. Go study those games! Go look at the games against Houston, New England, Indy, Atlanta, Cincinnati (all teams with winning records I might add) these teams where shutdown completely.

The Jets will go.. as far as their defense takes them. Period.

No offense but if you take Revis out of the equation (much like Polamalu) the Jets D is much weaker. Believe me I am a big Rex Ryan fan and I know how he can make a good defense great, but Revis is just all-world and one of the ONLY shut-down players in the league.

I really respect Revis and what a special player he is.

I wonder how much of that game was Cincy mailing it in. The Jets O-line and defensive front seven just had their way the whole game. The Bengals sure got their tails kicked. I want to give the Jets more credit than criticize Cincy's effort, but maybe I shouldn't. Don't really know. The Bengals certainly can't do any worse.

But I think the Jets will win again next week.

Edited by Jerrydevil

Congrats to Revis, Faneca, Mangold,

...and, D`BRICK!

2008_Mangold_Nick_Headshot_large.jpg?12109617392008_Ferguson_D_Brickashaw_Headshot_large.jpg?12109465632008_Faneca_Alan_Headshot_large.jpg?1210944661

Gotta say, feels pretty good seeing 3 of the Jets o'line representing the AFC in the Probowl. ;)

*SIDENOTE: (say what you will about Gholston) The back-to-back drafts in 2006 & 2007 may go down, as 2 of the best drafts in Jets history. Mangold, Ferguson, Washington, Revis... all Probowlers. And B. Smith, Harris, & Stuckey are all quality starting players in the league likewise.

........*W.W.W.

*Wearing the *White, *Works! You want to talk about karma, luck, & superstition? Well here's some good ju`ju for Rex Ryan to chew on... -The Jets are 6-1 this season when sporting the white-pants\white-jersey combo. Let's take a page out of the Cowboys book... DON THE WHITEOUT UNI's 24\7! Not the green-pants\white-jersey combo.. Not the white-pants\green-jersey combo.. and Not the green-pants\green-jersey combo. All White! Clean & Mean that's the motto. Make the opposing team think an avalanche is coming for them. It almost looks like the Colts when they do the whiteout. (being that Indy & the Jets helmets are both white also) Instill fear, make it the teams' M.O. They've lost only 1 time this season when wearing them, and 1 time (Chargers) last season when wearing them. Rock the White! You have to wear the away white's anyway when you're the road team, and when you're the home team.. you can wear whatever hell you want. Dallas has been doing the same thing for a hundred years.

....Gang Green White!

bump.

Edited by Beezer34