THE SWEDE WATCH

Chimaira_Devil_#9

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its tough for me to extrapolate stats from these overseas leagues.

tedenby seems like a hell of a talent, but b/c he's young and likely coming to the NHL, he gets buried on that HV team.

i assume they'll both be in lowell next year getting the hang of the North American game so that's fine.

The SEL isn't a league with a ton of scoring, so if you're PPG you're definitely one of the elite players in the league. Right now there're about 10 guys in the SEL with PPG or better, around 25-30 in the NHL with the same stat (roughly).

is this because of the way his team's roster is or have his skills proved he's more suited for wing. i thought his 2-way play and strong passing skills as a center were on the Plus side of his scouting report.

I'm not overly familiar with Djurg

Thought I'd give an update on Urbom if no one else has. He's playing for the Brandon Wheat Kings:

2009-10 Brandon Wheat Kings GP:32 G:6 A:13 PTS:19 PIM:40

Yeah we have thrown a couple in now and then , but the thread was intended for the OS prospects, but since the end of Purgatory (:evilcry:) it might be an idea.

Thought I'd give an update on Urbom if no one else has. He's playing for the Brandon Wheat Kings:

2009-10 Brandon Wheat Kings GP:32 G:6 A:13 PTS:19 PIM:40

To elaborate on Urbom's numbers, he's 5th on his team with a +18 rating (the Wheat Kings are in first in the East) and his 19 points is 2nd on his team among defensemen. He's also apparently getting a lot of PP time and 4 of his 6 goals have come with a man advantage.

Yeah we should include Urbom here. He's a young Swede as well haha. I'm hoping to see him here sooner than later.

A few pages back there is an great interview he did for the Wheaties as well.

The desert island question is excellent.

• 4 weeks later...

So the guys have returned to Sweden from the WJC where they captured bronze.

The tournaments statistics for the two for the tournament are as follows:

WJC u20 Championships 2010
GP G A P PIM +/- GWG PPG SHG SOG SOG%
9 TEDENBY Mattias F 5 3 3 6 4 +3 1 0 0 15 20.00
10 JOSEFSON Jacob F 6 3 3 6 4 +3 0 0 0 17 17.65

Not bad statistics for either player both with the PPG ratio.

Both of them are back with their club teams, JJ played in the game on Saturday on a line with his WJC team mates Daniel Brodin and Markus Kruger, who both also had decent showings at the WJC (although Kruger failed to score getting all of his 6 points from assists).

Matti has yet to play since coming back.

Neither club team showed much signs of missing either player going undefeated in all the games while the prospects were away.

Also to keep up to date with our North American based swede Alex Urbom continues to put up decent numbers:

GP G  A  P PIM
2009-10 Brandon Wheat Kings WHL 40 7 17 24 48

3 points already in January and posting a nice +/- rating of +26.

• 2 weeks later...

Since thier return for the WJC Josefson has had one goal and 3 assists. Two assists coming in a 4-3 win over Frolunda.

Tedenby hasn't managed to add to his total but he has been playing well and impressing with his performances.

I think Tedenby is the type of player who'll play better in the NHL than he's done in the SEL. His style just seems more adapted to that type of hockey. While his ice-time is a bit disappointing, he was clutch in the post-season last year and he's getting damn good at forechecking.

Now, if only he can keep his head up when going through the neutral zone...

• 3 weeks later...

With Bergfors gone, what's the chance these guys come over and play for the Devils next year?

I don't know if any of us North Americans see them enough to have great guesses on that. Based on what I've seen and read I would think Tedenby definitely comes over but probably spends the whole year in the AHL, learning some defense and adjusting to a smaller rink. I don't know Josefson's contract status but if it allows him to come to NA next season I think he'll get a look over in camp, since he has a more well rounded game, to be a 3rd line type guy, but that's a long way away so who knows what the roster looks like or how they keep growing.