NJDevs Keeper Poll

NJDevs4978

NJDevs Keeper Poll  

13 members have voted

1. 1. What should the keeper value be for players picked up in FA/Waivers?

• Eighth-rounder (middle of the draft)
    • Fifteenth-rounder (end of the draft)
    • Go by Yahoo! rank (1-12 - 1st rd, 13-24 - 2nd rd, etc)
    • None, only drafted/traded players should be eligible
  2. 2. Should we be allowed to trade players on IR?

3. 3. What should the cost of keeping a player be?

• 1 Round (ie 12th rounder, will cost 11th rounder next season)
    • 2 Rounds (ie 12th rounder will cost 10th rounder next season)
    • 3 Rounds (ie 12th rounder will cost 9th rounder next year)
    • Half the distance to 1st (ie 12th rounder will cost a 6th rounder, 5/6th would cost a 3rd, a 3rd would cost a 2nd, etc)
    • No cost (a 15th would cost a 15th next year)

If the trades have value (pardon the pun)... and make sense for BOTH teams... like a 2-9 team trading their top guy for a guy they plan to keep next year, be he on IR or not... I can't say I'd heavily object to that... it depends on the concept of the trade, and this is why when a trade is published and you object to it... SPEAK UP and let everyone state their case on it

I don't really want to be the one making these kinda decisions... I'd rather be more like the GM or Monday Night Raw where I stand out there and cut the promos but all the real decisions are done backstage before the show :P

Again, I think in worst-case scenario mode:

So planning my draft I've come into many scenarios where I may have 2 or more desired keepers...

Are we going to permit future trades of say:

Emerging talent (keeper), Next years 15th round

for

Depth player, Next years 8th rounder, etc

I go back and fourth if this would be ok. Most of these trades would be a player you drafted in rounds like 10-15... who are now like 4th rounders...

I would deem that an acceptable trade if both parties agreed to it. Then again, I voted as keeper FA's costing the 8th round, which is about where the prospecting begins for talent IMO. So the guy getting a depth player is getting a slight edge in the trade considering they're trading a Def/K pick for what is probably a depth RB/WR. That's usually an issue with the negotiation. But without evidence of collusion, I can't see this being a malicious trade. Maybe you're seeing something I don't?

I would deem that an acceptable trade if both parties agreed to it. Then again, I voted as keeper FA's costing the 8th round, which is about where the prospecting begins for talent IMO. So the guy getting a depth player is getting a slight edge in the trade considering they're trading a Def/K pick for what is probably a depth RB/WR. That's usually an issue with the negotiation. But without evidence of collusion, I can't see this being a malicious trade. Maybe you're seeing something I don't?

I see no upfront issue. Im asking are we going to allow trading keepers for next years picks :)

and when does our roster re-enter the draft? Can I make a trade of my old roster after the season ends, but before the new draft starts (for keeper purposes)?

I see no upfront issue. Im asking are we going to allow trading keepers for next years picks :)

and when does our roster re-enter the draft? Can I make a trade of my old roster after the season ends, but before the new draft starts (for keeper purposes)?

I don't think there should be any off-season trading, from whenever the in-season trading deadline is until the draft order gets posted next offseason (how could you have a deal benefit both teams anyway at that point?). We should name keepers just before the draft order gets posted, I don't really see why we have to do it before then if there are no offseason transactions.

I'm also not too high on trading next year's picks during the season, THAT could be a true dumping situation more than trading keepers would.

Edited by Hasan4978

me either.... to me the only thing that should carry over from one season to the next is the lone keeper and nothing else

I definitely agree.

Again, I think worse case. And I could easily see someone trading a player after the season that they aren't keeping, to collect a pick from someone that would want to keep that player. (ie: I plan on keeping my 10th rounder... yet someone really wants my 1st or 2nd rounder and will give me a 3rd rounder for him)

A blanket rule of no trading next years pick would solve that.

it depends on the concept of the trade

I don't really want to be the one making these kinda decisions... I'd rather be more like the GM or Monday Night Raw where I stand out there and cut the promos but all the real decisions are done backstage before the show :P

Booooo, fake commish! As the league gets more complicated, more decisions need to be made. The simplest being online draft, no trading picks. Offline drafts give us the ability to trade picks and things... then picking our spot in the draft.... then keeping a player... it's going to get complicated.

Im only bringing up issues that I think will cause issues later. Obviously, if we veto a trade... one or both parties will be upset. So I prefer to make solid guidelines now while no one has bias to get a trade done or blocked. The Keeper options adds a lot of gray area to our system... fun, yes... but it complicates things.

We could make it a solid pick your keepers by season's end and then no movement until draft. It adds value to the keeper spot as people aren't going to try to keep someone who they aren't really going to need because if something in the offseason with that player then they'll have no value at all...

that potentially might keep some people from keeping someone they think might hold value to someone else....just a thought...

We could make it a solid pick your keepers by season's end and then no movement until draft. It adds value to the keeper spot as people aren't going to try to keep someone who they aren't really going to need because if something in the offseason with that player then they'll have no value at all...

that potentially might keep some people from keeping someone they think might hold value to someone else....just a thought...

I think if we make it you cant next years pick... and you have to declare your keeper the week before we pick draft spots.

Theres a big risk of injury... (you could lose your 1st rounder before the draft); but theres no way I want to push the draft start even later than what we do now.

Perhaps we could award a compensatory pick if that happens? (Losing your keeper after the keeper, but before or during the draft)... then again, maybe thats just your luck?

On the timing of the thing, I think that's the simple part...rosters lock after the championship week, and you declare your keeper at the same time as you declare your draft pick. Example: I know someone whose team includes both Tom Brady (cost-last round), Adrien Peterson (cost-1st round), and Chris Johnson (cost-12th round). If they end up with a higher pick, they're most likely going to keep Brady and pick best RB available. Conversely, if he gets shafted in the draft pick process, he might pick Johnson for a value RB or Peterson to block the #1 draft pick at the cost of his own. I think declaring your keeper significantly before you declare your draft pick could become a marked disadvantage.

There's no way I'd want to decide keepers right after the season ends, lots of things change in the offseason - guys go elsewhere as FA's, roles change, some freak offseason injury could also impact it.

I don't know why anyone would use their one keeper spot on someone just because it might benefit someone else. Wouldn't it just be easier to work out a trade the prior season if that were the case and actually keep someone who benefits you?

...rosters lock after the championship week, and you declare your keeper at the same time as you declare your draft pick.

Very possibly the smartest thing ever to come from value ... ever!

agree with Value but my thought was based on 3 keepers...I thought we could have up to three....was there ever a time that was the case because for some reason that stuck in my head...

Never... I think mb3 was talking about it... but never for this league.

So what exactly do we read into a 5-2-2-1 vote for FA/waiver keeper value? Clearly there's no consensus on regular keeper value either.

I would say 5-2-2-1 is a pretty strong majority on people, but we're still missing votes, which could screw it all up