Any Home Theater Enthusiasts Out There?

njskaguy33

Just curious if there were any home theater gurus out there that would like to talk gear, setup, etc. I currently have an Onkyo HTiB that I'm looking to upgrade soon and was curious if there were any audio heads out there that could give me a recommendation or two.

I currently have the following:

Onkyo HT-SR800 7.1 package (basically everything you need for home theater, without DTS Master HD and Dolby True HD codecs)

LG-BD390 Blue Ray Player

Samsung 52in 1080P TV, with 120 Auto Motion (52LNA650 to be exact)

Wii

Cablevision HD Box

Looking to get:

Onkyo 876 receiver (solely for the lossess audio formats)

Aperion 5T-DB Hybrid HD system

Either an XBox 360 or a PS3 -- leaning towards PS3 as I hate the XBox controller and I can't keep playing NHL 2003 for Gamecube for the rest of my life...also, Red Rings of Death scare me)

On the recevier side, I'm also thinking about Denon and Pinoeer Elite, as they are in the same price range. If anyone has any thoughts or experience with this stuff, please share!

Im big into home theater,have 2 setups in my house.First in the family rm w/ panny 50" plasma 7.1 sound & 2 home theater seats.Second in great rm w/ 7.1 sound in wall speakers proj & 90" electric screen.Directv HD w/ center ice package/DVR on both.

I tend to favor Denon and pioneer products. I dont think u can beat the PS3....great gaming console as well as a GREAT blu ray player.Profile updates done effortlessly thru wireless internet.We should post some pics of our setups.....

I'm really conflicted between Denon and Onkyo in terms of receivers. From everything I've read, the Onkyo 876 will power the Aperions I'm looking at just fine. Do you have any thoughts on a Denon that would push the same amount of power? I do most of my searching on Amazon and they push Onkyo waaaay more then Denon, so I'm not familiar with model numbers.

As for Blue Ray players, I love my LG BD390! The SD upconversion is good enough but it's very quick to start up and load Blue Ray disks, plus it offers CinemaNow and Netflix streaming, all wirelessly, which is important to me. Thae firmware updates are also seamless.

If pressed for a new gaming system, I think I would go PS3, despite the fact that I don't need the player. I just like the PS3 controller much more than the XBox 360. That, and I belive the PS3 displays games in 1080p...correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

• 3 months later...

I am not a home theater enthusiast. I just need a good Blu-Ray player that also plays regular DVDs.

Even though I am not a gamer, everything I read points me in the direction of a PS3, which currently goes for about $299. Is that my best bet, or is there a cheaper Blu-Ray player worth buying?

I have a 46-inch Samsung HDTV, 1080p.

I am not a home theater enthusiast. I just need a good Blu-Ray player that also plays regular DVDs.

Even though I am not a gamer, everything I read points me in the direction of a PS3, which currently goes for about $299. Is that my best bet, or is there a cheaper Blu-Ray player worth buying?

I have a 46-inch Samsung HDTV, 1080p.

For the price, the PS3 is still the best Blue Ray player out there but I'm a touch anal when it comes to HT in that I like having seperate components for everything. That way, if my PS3 dies, I don't lose my DVD player, Blue Ray player and my gaming machine in one fell swoop. The PS3 also does Netflix streaming now and connects via Wi-Fi, which is another added bonus.

That being said, if you're looking for a stand-alone player, I would give either of these 3 a shot:

LG BD390 - This is the player I own and I absolutely love it. Streams Netflix, Vudu and You Tube, has Wi-Fi connectivity built in and does a nice job with DVD upconversion. It also loads DVD's as fast as a regular player and is the only standalone under $500 that loads Blue Rays disks at least as fast as the PS3. The price is a little more than a PS3, however, last time I checked.

Samsung 3600 - As of right now, this player is a steal at $229 on Amazon and would work just fine. Streams Netflix and Pandora, last I checked but it may do more now with firmware updates. Also connects to the Internet wirelessly with an included wireless dongle. From what I've read, there have been some quality issues with these players, but if you have a problem, just return it and get a PS3. For this price, it's a great deal.

Panasonic BD-60 - This player is at 109.55 on Amazon which is a serious steal, considering how good the player is. I consider the Panny to be the most "bare bones" of the 3 in that it doesn't have Wi-Fi, requires a seperate 1 gig SD card for BD Live and only streams Viera Cast and Amazon On Demand. It may also do You Tube but I'm not sure. That being said, it's a rock solid player that loads disks quickly, has great picture quality and has very few "issues". This may be an excellent option if the PS3 is too expensive for your taste and you simply need a solid player for Blue Rays and DVD's

Also, if you have any questions abuot the technology like BD Live, 1080p, etc, don't hesitate to ask!

I Probably will be picking up next year. A "Onkyo HT-S9100THX" and LED LCD TV, I don't know yet wich band, but I'm Leaning towards Samsung.

Hooking everything up with my PS3.

Ths Samsung LED's are excellent TV's, although I don't know much about the other company's offerings. As for the HTiB you're looking into, (Home Theater In A Box), the Onkyo is very highly rated but, depending on your room size, the speaker themselves aren't the best in the world. Still, for ease of installation, you could do much worse than the 9100. Just a few recommendations.

- Don't use the included speaker wire. It's thin, cheap and not durable at all. My recommendation would be to get yourself some good 16 gauge or even 14 gauge wire, depending on how long the cable runs will be.

- Terminate the wire with banana plugs for the reciever and pins for the speakers, if sapce allows. Just makes a stronger connection and will make connecting the thicker wire to the binding posts that much easier.

- Run the Audssey room correction, if this HTiB has it. Makes a world of difference in the sound quality.

Good luck!

For the price, the PS3 is still the best Blue Ray player out there but I'm a touch anal when it comes to HT in that I like having seperate components for everything. That way, if my PS3 dies, I don't lose my DVD player, Blue Ray player and my gaming machine in one fell swoop. The PS3 also does Netflix streaming now and connects via Wi-Fi, which is another added bonus.

That being said, if you're looking for a stand-alone player, I would give either of these 3 a shot:

LG BD390 - This is the player I own and I absolutely love it. Streams Netflix, Vudu and You Tube, has Wi-Fi connectivity built in and does a nice job with DVD upconversion. It also loads DVD's as fast as a regular player and is the only standalone under $500 that loads Blue Rays disks at least as fast as the PS3. The price is a little more than a PS3, however, last time I checked.

Samsung 3600 - As of right now, this player is a steal at $229 on Amazon and would work just fine. Streams Netflix and Pandora, last I checked but it may do more now with firmware updates. Also connects to the Internet wirelessly with an included wireless dongle. From what I've read, there have been some quality issues with these players, but if you have a problem, just return it and get a PS3. For this price, it's a great deal.

Panasonic BD-60 - This player is at 109.55 on Amazon which is a serious steal, considering how good the player is. I consider the Panny to be the most "bare bones" of the 3 in that it doesn't have Wi-Fi, requires a seperate 1 gig SD card for BD Live and only streams Viera Cast and Amazon On Demand. It may also do You Tube but I'm not sure. That being said, it's a rock solid player that loads disks quickly, has great picture quality and has very few "issues". This may be an excellent option if the PS3 is too expensive for your taste and you simply need a solid player for Blue Rays and DVD's

Also, if you have any questions abuot the technology like BD Live, 1080p, etc, don't hesitate to ask!

The LG BD390 is priced pretty steep on Amazon right now. And the Samsung players are getting some lukewarm customer reviews. It seems that a lot of people are complaining that their players stopped working correctly after a couple of months and either require too many firmware updates or they have trouble getting their players to work the same way after the updates.

Same thing with some of the Panasonics.

Myself, I'm not very tech savvy and no nada about firmware updates.

Right now my head is dizzy from reading too many Amazon customer reviews!

Edited by 95Crash

The LG BD390 is priced pretty steep on Amazon right now. And the Samsung players are getting some lukewarm customer reviews. It seems that a lot of people are complaining that their players stopped working correctly after a couple of months and either require too many firmware updates or they have trouble getting their players to work the same way after the updates.

Same thing with some of the Panasonics.

Myself, I'm not very tech savvy and no nada about firmware updates.

Right now my head is dizzy from reading too many Amazon customer reviews!

It's tough to trust user reviews as most people are likely to complain about anything and everything in a review yet the vast majority who don't have a problem aren't going to speak up. That being said, the Samsung is the most "problematic" with the Panasonic and LG being much less so. I didn't notice the price of the LG but that's suprising. I didn't pay anywhere near that for mine, but the fact it's being sold by a third party tells me Amazon is just out of them or stopped carrying them. You should be able to find one in the $300 range.

As for firmware updates, all you need is to have your player connected to the Internet (either wirelessly or by Ethernet connection) and choose the option "update firmware". My player actually automatically does it but I can't speak for the Panny and the Sammy. Even the PS3 requires firmware updates now and again, so you're not going to avoid it with any of the options in Blueray players.

I sold my 2005 Audiovox (23" LCD 720p) and upgraded to a 2008 Vizio (37" LCD 1080p)

For a college kid, it's not bad.. Definitely an upgrade over the Audiovox..

My only worry is that Vizio seems to have long term durability issues

Edited by Colin226