Best and worst fans - Devils rank 22

overtime98

22 - New Jersey Devils - 12.6

Pct. of Capacity in 2008-09: 89.5% (15,790, 23rd in the NHL) Online Presence: 4.6

Last Year's rank: 30th

Justification: Last year, I ranked Devils fans dead last in the league and it created a bit of an uproar to put it mildly. They challeged my assessment of their online presence and claimed that I understated it considerably, let when I did my search for Devils related message boards and blogs I found it to be average at best. It still does not excuse a fanbase who has had one of the most dominant teams over the last 10 years to still not able to sellout most nights. The Devils fans provide a bunch of excuses but 23rd in the league in attendance for the team that finished amongst the top 5 in the league throughout the regular season is still rather puzzling. New arena, high quality team, huge population base and still in the bottom 1/3rd of the league in attendance both proportionately (in relation to the capasity of the arena) but as a fanbase they may not show up to the games as much as they should but they certainly love to complain!

http://mvn.com/thestateofhockeynews/2009/08/2009-10-nhl-fan-rankings-part-i-30th-to-21st.html

He may consider it complaining. I consider it defending ourselves. Aren't us Devils fans always under attack by moron fans of other teams or ignorant sports writers?

This douche-nozzle can blow me. He's probably never even been to New Jersey- let alone lived here- so he obviously has no knowledge or perspective on the challenges the Devils face at the gate.

Who was it that said we have one of the largest % of fans wearing jerseys at games?

That should count for something. Maybe if we had 5-8000 corporate/business related tickets sold each game, we'd never have a problem filling the rest. I'm sure most major cities have that at a minimum.

Still surprised we're below 29th from this guy.

He measures fan online activity by the number of message boards out there. So if we all create a free Devils message board that nobody used the Devils online activity would go through the roof. :lol:

Also, I think it was Bill Clement that said the Devils have one of the highest percentage of jerseys in the stands in the league but I'm nowhere near confident in that, it's just what my gut said.

If someone actually had wanted to argue the guy it's that while Devils attendance by person is low, the Devils attendance by dollars spent is high.

Devils fans have always filled up the fleet center in Boston. I remember last year I was at the bar and a friend of mine said he felt like he was at anaway game with all the Devils fans that were in the bar. I am sure this year will be different in Boston with all the Bruins "fans" on the bandwagon.

Wtf? Where do I start with this one...i mean you cant just look at rank of attendance within the league! We have one of the smaller rinks first of all. Secondly, our 90% of capacity is a strong number. And how the hell do you even rank online presence? That could mean anything. My head is spinning already at this crap

Meh, that tool bag can say whatever he wants.

Most teams don't have to deal with so many other nearby hockey teams that were established long before them, not to mention the Giants, Jets, Knicks, and Nets all within a train ride. That leaves a lot of choices for people around here to make.

Also, just because they've won consistently for 15 years doesn't mean the arena will sell out every night. Hockey fans are loyal. Ranger and Islander fans aren't just gonna buy Devils jerseys and switch allegences. Their kids may, which is why you are seeing such a young presence at games now. Those people who were kids in 1995 are coming out of college now and starting to come up with the money to be season ticket holders. Attendance has gone up the last 3 years, and thats even with the rough economics we've had to deal with.

As for if the fans are passionate, whatever. Anyone who was at the home opener last year, the SJ and Boston games, the Marty return game, the 552 game, the Tampa game towards the end (when Weekes went down), and any of the playoff games knows what that building can sound like.

Plus, we all watch games on TV. There are noticeable amounts of Devils fans in cities like Tampa, Miami, Atlanta, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Los Angeles, Anaheim, etc. Not to mention the easily accessible cities for us like New York, Boston and Philly.

This guy did the same he did last year. Went in with preconceived notions and made a list that made his team look good. How would the Devils jump 8 spots if he thinks nothing changed. Plus, Rangers at 7? REALLY? Watch a Ranger game (if you can). Plenty of empty seats that still count as 'sold' because corporations own them and fans that turn their back on their team in a heartbeat.

Who cares what these boneheads think? This is our f'n team, not theirs.

22 - New Jersey Devils - 12.6

Pct. of Capacity in 2008-09: 89.5% (15,790, 23rd in the NHL) Online Presence: 4.6

Last Year's rank: 30th

Justification: Last year, I ranked Devils fans dead last in the league and it created a bit of an uproar to put it mildly. They challeged my assessment of their online presence and claimed that I understated it considerably, let when I did my search for Devils related message boards and blogs I found it to be average at best. It still does not excuse a fanbase who has had one of the most dominant teams over the last 10 years to still not able to sellout most nights. The Devils fans provide a bunch of excuses but 23rd in the league in attendance for the team that finished amongst the top 5 in the league throughout the regular season is still rather puzzling. New arena, high quality team, huge population base and still in the bottom 1/3rd of the league in attendance both proportionately (in relation to the capasity of the arena) but as a fanbase they may not show up to the games as much as they should but they certainly love to complain!

He

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Devils are 23rd in the league in attendance. 19th in percentage (up from 26 last year). and lol at the islanders.

What's kind of funny about that is, we physically can't average what the top 14 teams average - our arena holds less people than the top 14 teams in the league average per game.

I'm a little surprised we only ranked at 89.4% capacity for the year - I could have sworn we had more sellouts than the year before and many more games that we 1,000 or less people from selling out. Guess I'm selectively forgetting about some of the lower attendance figures.

Defending why he is wrong makes no sense to me. It is a known fact that the New Jersey Devils have done the worse job in the NHL MARKETING the NJ Devils and it's players since their arrival in NJ. Marketing includes pricing of tickets, parking, beer, hot dogs, soda and clothing.

I also wish that the NJ light rail which brings me to Devils games didn't have a big Rangers logo all over it....

Who was it that said we have one of the largest % of fans wearing jerseys at games?

That should count for something. Maybe if we had 5-8000 corporate/business related tickets sold each game, we'd never have a problem filling the rest. I'm sure most major cities have that at a minimum.

Still surprised we're below 29th from this guy.

I absolutely don't believe this, and there are already too many people in suits and on their blackberries the entire game.