Sign in to follow this  
MB3

College...

It's true that public schools in general benefit academically from a recession because smarter kids with less money will choose the more affordable schools.. TCNJ isn't better for housing, only 2 years are guaranteed, but they are working on it.. They just built 2 new upperclassman dorms.. Although I live off-campus and love it

A good way to get housing at Rutgers is by joining a fraternity, at least that's what I hear

If you're trying to get off-campus housing you don't need to join a frat, plenty of students rent houses in that area. I would be in one of those if I could have gotten people to go in with me. It woulda been much better because even though the hotel in Somerset is technically on campus, the off campus houses in New Brunswick are basically on campus since it's right there instead of 5 miles up Easton Ave.

There is no way RU is 1/4 Livingston College. There are no Livingston College freshmen, sophomores, and I don't think there are any Livingston College juniors either. When we still had Rutgers College, Douglass College, and Livingston College, Livingston College still wasn't 1/4 of Rutgers, so not even 1/4 of the seniors are Livingston College students, which means Livingston College is now less than 1/16, or roughly 6% of Rutgers, and even that is with a high estimate. I am a fifth-year senior Livingston College student, and every time I have to fill out a paper that asks me to circle which college I am in, I have to write in Livingston College because there are so few of us left that they don't even bother putting it on their forms anymore.

Also, where did you find that average SAT score of 1000 statistic? I had a 1220 and I don't think I was that much better than my classmates here. It was still part of the same university, there's no way the Livingston College standards are that much lower than the rest of the university. Regardless of what college you were affiliated with, you were in the same classes as Cook College, Rutgers College, and Douglass College students, so their standards couldn't have been that different.

Oh yeah and Rockoff is one of the most prestigious places on campus. It is the newest resident building at Rutgers. Probably the only place that has more people trying to live there is the Easton Ave apartments. Nobody "ends up" in Rockoff, the people living there are the lucky ones haha. I lived in Rockoff this summer and it is so much nicer than any dorm building. Plus you get the 7-11, Coldstone, gym, and pizzeria right there on your ground floor. The downside is that the parking deck behind the building is owned by New Brunswick instead of Rutgers, so the permit to park there is $135 a month instead of $170 for the whole year. Also it is in the worst part of campus, a few students got robbed in that area while I was living there. Just don't go walking around there by yourself late at night.

I think they changed the housing sign-up process last year so if you try and fail to get into a nice apartment or suite, you can still sign up for a regular dorm so they don't have that problem anymore. I could be wrong though but that was my understanding of one of their changes last year.

By the way, sorry if it seems like I am ripping you here, not intentional. B )

it's ok, I didn't think you were :cheers: But the Livingston thing I was just going off of freshmen year statistics which was two years ago but they have likely changed since then, so my bad for fudging the stats. My friend saw some stats that his father (a prof a RU) saw for the admissions and I worked for the office of undergrad admissions and they were a little higher as the years went on, but he's just going off of past years. On the housing sign up, thing I was referring mostly to kids who would have had good enough suite numbers in the past or passed up guaranteed honors housing to try for something better and ending up in the hotel.

And I know for a fact that more people are trying to get into Easton, as the lotto number was about 500 lower for that than Rockoff. Rockoff was the lowest numbered of the apartments. Nobody that I knew wants to go there because of the crime and the slums. My roommate's gf won't even walk anywhere near the place. Actually being in Rockoff is nice, and the ground floor is awesome as is the nice part of George St, but for kids who have to go to Busch/Livingston it sucks. They either have to walk to college ave or douglass and take a bus.

Sorry again about the stuff about Livingston, I was just going off my friend's stats. I'll tell him he's a liar for you :P

it's ok, I didn't think you were :cheers: But the Livingston thing I was just going off of freshmen year statistics which was two years ago but they have likely changed since then, so my bad for fudging the stats. My friend saw some stats that his father (a prof a RU) saw for the admissions and I worked for the office of undergrad admissions and they were a little higher as the years went on, but he's just going off of past years. On the housing sign up, thing I was referring mostly to kids who would have had good enough suite numbers in the past or passed up guaranteed honors housing to try for something better and ending up in the hotel.

And I know for a fact that more people are trying to get into Easton, as the lotto number was about 500 lower for that than Rockoff. Rockoff was the lowest numbered of the apartments. Nobody that I knew wants to go there because of the crime and the slums. My roommate's gf won't even walk anywhere near the place. Actually being in Rockoff is nice, and the ground floor is awesome as is the nice part of George St, but for kids who have to go to Busch/Livingston it sucks. They either have to walk to college ave or douglass and take a bus.

Sorry again about the stuff about Livingston, I was just going off my friend's stats. I'll tell him he's a liar for you :P

Ha well I don't know I was just going off personal experience, but it sounds like you have actual sources so who knows. Rockoff isn't as convenient or safe as Easton but it's still really nice as long as you're careful.

Ha well I don't know I was just going off personal experience, but it sounds like you have actual sources so who knows. Rockoff isn't as convenient or safe as Easton but it's still really nice as long as you're careful.

yeah but my "source" has been known to lie/pretend he knows things he doesn't but with the apartment stuff, I went through it last semester and am currently in Rockoff. yeah towards college ave is really nice from rockoff with all the fancy restaurants and stores but the other way is just bad news. It's the ghetto, so you take a bus to douglass and walk to college ave. But for me, someone who has all his classes on college ave, easton would be so much better

yeah but my "source" has been known to lie/pretend he knows things he doesn't but with the apartment stuff, I went through it last semester and am currently in Rockoff. yeah towards college ave is really nice from rockoff with all the fancy restaurants and stores but the other way is just bad news. It's the ghetto, so you take a bus to douglass and walk to college ave. But for me, someone who has all his classes on college ave, easton would be so much better

Yea I know what you mean, I worked almost every night in the summer and got out usually between 10pm and midnight, and I couldn't afford the ridiculous price for the parking permit, so I parked in the Douglass parking deck and walked back up George Street every night. It wasn't the most comfortable of strolls.

I grew up in Toms River - graduated from Toms River South in 2002. I didn't go the NJ route, nor did I go public... But I can comment in generalities about college.

College was fun times. I didn't really worry about getting into college -good grades, 1380 SAT (in '01 there was only 2 parts, 800 each) and was a decent wrestler. I decided I was going to school in Philly, and applied to Drexel because I liked their co-op program (three, six-month paid internships) and there was a good opening for wrestling for me. I had no fall backs, but that's how I am. Obviously I got in. Private route gets expensive, and the education isn't that much better. However, it makes a huge difference in the facilities, atmosphere, etc. But bang for buck, Id say public is a good way to go.

If you are going to go to college, you NEED to participate in campus life somehow. I did Division 1 wrestling for 2 years, and participated in community service (Circle K - was an officer for 3 years), among other groups. You forget about the parties pretty quickly in your memories. But the comradeship and the social skills you learn by participating carry on with you well past your college days.

College work, in general, is easy if you put your time in. There will be hard courses of course, but if you do your readings, and work on it beyond what they tell you to - you'll be fine. Those practice quizzes/questions and suggested additional readings do wonders (at the end of chapters/sidebars normally). A lot, and I mean ALOT, of freshman will struggle with the freedom of college. My wife teaches at Rutgers and at Penn State Abbington and just reiterates this almost every term.

No longer is education the responsibility of the teacher, its on you. Your professor guides you though your coursework, but its on you to make sure you know your material adequately. Its up to you to manage your time effectively and that's a skillset you improve on when you're in college. IE: You were sick all week, and have a frat function tonight that will run into the late hours, but you have an 8AM mid-term tomorrow. You have responsibilities to both. So you must find a way to juggle both effectively and both to the best of your ability.

Just keep in mind when you're there it feels like forever, and when your out...no matter how recent it was, it feels like forever ago and you will miss it. It's a great time, and to me, was much better than anything experienced in high school (which I thought were great times when I was there). Be ready for the time of your life, and be responsible enough to manage it.

I can answer any direct questions in PM or on here. But like I said, didn't go to the NJ public colleges, etc...

I was a finance major who took an internship my sophomore year in securities lending and was hired immediately full time while still an undergrad. I wound up working days and doing school at night (which is why I left wrestling). It was crazy, and I'd recommend doing the 4 years rather than split. However, great opportunities don't present themselves every day... so you gotta do what you gotta do ;)

Edited by aylbert

Welcome to the first annual NJDevs debate. Today's topic: the value of RU as compared to TCNJ.

Ready... begin!

:P

(EDIT: typo-forgot the "u" in annual. Looked a little... erm... off)

Oh god, just what I need is another thing on this forum to overly debate about.. The TCNJ vs. RU debate has been going on since my mom went to Rutgers Douglas back when it was an all womans college.. It will forever continue because it's like comparing grapes to grapefruits..

Besides, we at TCNJ know we're better :P

I gotta admit I have never heard of TCNJ as being better than Rutgers. Rutgers for some reason has a bad reputation in New Jersey, seems like it's everyone's backup school, but out of the state it is thought of pretty highly.

I gotta admit I have never heard of TCNJ as being better than Rutgers. Rutgers for some reason has a bad reputation in New Jersey, seems like it's everyone's backup school, but out of the state it is thought of pretty highly.

UVA is the same way in Virginia. Its much easier to get into in-state than out-of-state, so I think the in-staters just assume that because its so easy to get into, it can't be that good academically.

Yeah I know people who went to schools like Boston U and Delaware and even though were ranked just as highly, if not higher, these kids all thought they did better. Nobody wants to go to Rutgers, but everyone from my high school who went is still here while most people who went to other schools have transferred back to Montclair or Monmouth or something

Marty, how interested are you in a school that has a more 'art' dimension of architecture compared to the straightforward creation of buildings?

Some art schools that are not too far away, such as Pratt in NYC offer a really solid program (the school is also one of the highest ranked art colleges) but you will be taking classes such as history of art and etc. when you are there compared to a more 'normal' college which will have you focusing on science and other factors. It is a different approach, you will need a portfolio but I'm giving you the option.

Yeah TCNJ and Rutgers seem to be the top choices for NJ public schools.. It's a big fight about which one is better but it comes down to what you want.. TCNJ is a better school academically there's no doubt about that but it's smaller too so you miss out on things that Rutgers has like more sports/clubs, more classes offered, and no graduate program for undergrads looking to take grad classes.. Classes at TCNJ are small which some people like..

I really encourage anyone to apply to TCNJ they are going nuts with scholarships lately and in all honesty it's a really great school

Currently, Rutgers is not ranked by Forbes as a top public college in New Jersey. Montclair is ranked at the top with TCNJ in second without a third place finisher.

Rutgers is a solid school but I wouldn't be able to stand how disorganized it is over there. I wouldn't be able to stand getting my rear handed to me by the Bearcats neither. :P TCNJ is a campus I liked a bit more but I was not too interested in going to although all of my friends who go there do enjoy it.

To add on, in how aylbert explained his experience:

I had the grades to go anywhere that I really wanted to. I scored about 720 in both reading and math. They don't count writing for the most part but I topped 700 in that, I forgot what I scored exactly.

College work, in general is very easy, or that is at least what I found. It is time consuming but it is not difficult, I end up spending 4 to 6 hours on my work a day. Do your readings, it basically covers the entire class for you. I never had a grade lower than an A- in college and I feel as if I gave little effort to achieve that.

College is more a battle of dedication and the ability to work when you do not feel like it.

College is more a battle of dedication and the ability to work when you do not feel like it.

As is true in life. Your work ethic will define your path in life.

Currently, Rutgers is not ranked by Forbes as a top public college in New Jersey. Montclair is ranked at the top with TCNJ in second without a third place finisher.

Rutgers is a solid school but I wouldn't be able to stand how disorganized it is over there. I wouldn't be able to stand getting my rear handed to me by the Bearcats neither. :P TCNJ is a campus I liked a bit more but I was not too interested in going to although all of my friends who go there do enjoy it.

Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY thinks that Montclair was/is/ever will be as good as RU or TCNJ or even in the same stratosphere. That's where kids in high school go who aren't good enough for the other 2 and don't want to go to community college. Not to offend anyone, but that was my experience in high school. some kids who went there were smart, but all the honors kids that stayed in state went to TCNJ/RU depending on whether they wanted the big school or not. But that Forbes list was a complete and utter joke. Again, that list was laughed at by RU people

Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY thinks that Montclair was/is/ever will be as good as RU or TCNJ or even in the same stratosphere. That's where kids in high school go who aren't good enough for the other 2 and don't want to go to community college. Not to offend anyone, but that was my experience in high school. some kids who went there were smart, but all the honors kids that stayed in state went to TCNJ/RU depending on whether they wanted the big school or not. But that Forbes list was a complete and utter joke. Again, that list was laughed at by RU people

For me, it's all about what you go for and what you make out of your time at that school. My brother recently graduated from Montcalir State with a BFA in Film...as far as I know, its's a very new program...he originally got accepted into the School of Business).

Now, I know Montclair gets alot of heat for being the "well, it's beter than community" school in NJ, but my brother did a ton with his time there. Not only did he finish the program, he ended up writing, directing and editing a feature length film for his senior project. I'm talking a serious 90 minute movie that looks fantastic on his resume and in his portfolio. Not only that, he learned professional editing software (Avid to be exact) that people have paid thousands of dollars to learn.

My feeling is, while your undergrad school is important, what's really important is what you do while you're there. If you don't put the time and the work in, you're going to get what you get, regardless of the name on the diploma. Besides, what really matters these days is where you go for your Masters and Phd...you can get away with a Montclair State for your undergrad, so long as you have an NYU or a Columbia for your Masters.

For me, it's all about what you go for and what you make out of your time at that school. My brother recently graduated from Montcalir State with a BFA in Film...as far as I know, its's a very new program...he originally got accepted into the School of Business).

Now, I know Montclair gets alot of heat for being the "well, it's beter than community" school in NJ, but my brother did a ton with his time there. Not only did he finish the program, he ended up writing, directing and editing a feature length film for his senior project. I'm talking a serious 90 minute movie that looks fantastic on his resume and in his portfolio. Not only that, he learned professional editing software (Avid to be exact) that people have paid thousands of dollars to learn.

My feeling is, while your undergrad school is important, what's really important is what you do while you're there. If you don't put the time and the work in, you're going to get what you get, regardless of the name on the diploma. Besides, what really matters these days is where you go for your Masters and Phd...you can get away with a Montclair State for your undergrad, so long as you have an NYU or a Columbia for your Masters.

for some things it's definitely better, like for film, RU sucks tremendously from what I've heard. Montclair definitely has its pros too.

You can get a good education almost anywhere if you are willing to work at it. Look at J Vanderbeek. He went to Centenary College, didn't he?

It's absolutely true.. I'm sure there are smarter people than me who go to Montclair.. Most people who go to Harvard never become millionaires or famous, yet some people with no/partial college education have become billionaires..

But it does open the door.. You can be a great lawyer from a no-name law school, but if you don't graduate top 5% in your class at a top 5 law school you literally have no chance at making it to the Supreme Court because to get there you have to be hired by top lawyers for clerkships and such, and they will only hire you if you have those accolades..

Where you went to school is mainly just to open the door.. At some point your employer judges you solely on performance

Edited by Colin226

Damnnn all these SAT scores are making my 2-part 1330 look pitiful!!

Well, don't feel bad because I got a 1170, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Man, I'm really stressing out. Like MB, I'm a senior in high school and realize that applying to colleges is right around the corner. Similarly, I've heard it's a lot of work to apply from my guidance counselor and others.

Marist College, Saint Joseph's University, Loyola University, Univeristy of Miami, Ramapo College are just some of the schools I'm going to apply to. I've already applied to Fordham University online, and they waived the application fee.

These are some pretty prestigious schools IMO, and I just am hoping they're not too out of my reach. Yes, my SAT scores suck. I'm not a good standardized test taker--I never have been, and never will. To counter that, I feel I'm a good student with a 3.9 GPA, and well balanced with a ton of extracurricular activities.

It's really stressing me out knowing that this fall I'm going to have to maintain my GPA, apply for colleges, play varsity football, and stay involved in extracurricular activities.

Any advice/stories/etc. would be much appreciated!

Man, I'm really stressing out. Like MB, I'm a senior in high school and realize that applying to colleges is right around the corner. Similarly, I've heard it's a lot of work to apply from my guidance counselor and others.

Loyola University

It's really stressing me out knowing that this fall I'm going to have to maintain my GPA, apply for colleges, play varsity football, and stay involved in extracurricular activities.

Any advice/stories/etc. would be much appreciated!

Loyola University in MD? You should also look at Quinnipiac!(Though I am a bit biased since it's my alma mater)

Try not to stress out too much! From what I remember (and I have to think back ... I graduated high school in 2003) I made it much more stressful then it needed to be. I think it's important to have your deadlines clearly written out and set a deadline for yourself as to when you want to have your applications all completed by. It's a good idea to start thinking about what teachers you're going to ask to write your recs too.

Good luck!

Loyola University in MD? You should also look at Quinnipiac!(Though I am a bit biased since it's my alma mater)

Try not to stress out too much! From what I remember (and I have to think back ... I graduated high school in 2003) I made it much more stressful then it needed to be. I think it's important to have your deadlines clearly written out and set a deadline for yourself as to when you want to have your applications all completed by. It's a good idea to start thinking about what teachers you're going to ask to write your recs too.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, Loyola in MD. It's funny you mention Quinnipiac, because I am applying there as well.

I'm asking for teacher recommendations this week, and like you said, have my deadlines all picked out. I'm feeling pretty organized after talking to a bunch of my friends about colleges.

I'm asking for teacher recommendations this week, and like you said, have my deadlines all picked out. I'm feeling pretty organized after talking to a bunch of my friends about colleges.

Like me, who is still clueless.

I'll just stop procrastinating..

I'll stop procrastinating tomorrow...