College...

MB3

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY thinks that Montclair was/is/ever will be as good as RU or TCNJ or even in the same stratosphere. That's where kids in high school go who aren't good enough for the other 2 and don't want to go to community college. Not to offend anyone, but that was my experience in high school. some kids who went there were smart, but all the honors kids that stayed in state went to TCNJ/RU depending on whether they wanted the big school or not. But that Forbes list was a complete and utter joke. Again, that list was laughed at by RU people

You can say that but the reality is Montclair is ranked above both schools. Rutgers isn't hard to get into, personally I consider TCNJ the best of the group but its laughable to consider Rutgers that much higher than Montclair. In all honestly, I don't see the big fuss about Rutgers, its an average school just like a handful of universities.

Basically, it depends on your major. All schools are dirt in some areas, some are regarded very highly.

You can say that but the reality is Montclair is ranked above both schools. Rutgers isn't hard to get into, personally I consider TCNJ the best of the group but its laughable to consider Rutgers that much higher than Montclair. In all honestly, I don't see the big fuss about Rutgers, its an average school just like a handful of universities.

Basically, it depends on your major. All schools are dirt in some areas, some are regarded very highly.

2008 Academic Ranking of World Universities- RU 54th worldwide, 38 in the U.S.. If Montclair is in the top 100 I'd give you one million dollars. TCNJ is considered by most the best and probably is academically but RU isn't average, it's above and Montclair is below. According to college board, Montclair's average SAT for the middle 50% is about 150 points lower per section which isn't chump change. Nothing against Montclair, but the kids I knew who went there were rejected from Rutgers. It's better than RU in some places, but the 2 schools aren't even comparable in most areas IMO

Edited by DH26

2008 Academic Ranking of World Universities- RU 54th worldwide, 38 in the U.S.. If Montclair is in the top 100 I'd give you one million dollars. TCNJ is considered by most the best and probably is academically but RU isn't average, it's above and Montclair is below. According to college board, Montclair's average SAT for the middle 50% is about 150 points lower per section which isn't chump change. Nothing against Montclair, but the kids I knew who went there were rejected from Rutgers. It's better than RU in some places, but the 2 schools aren't even comparable in most areas IMO

Welcome to your opinion, all college boards are ranked with bias. Some will consider RU better, some MSU. Most of it is believing what you want to believe, I'm not wowed by either school.

Yeah I find it impossible, absolutely impossible, to see MSU ahead of TCNJ.. I think RU and MSU can't be compared though.. RU's best student is way smarter than MSU's, but RU's worst student is way worse than MSU's.. RU has broader spectrum of students because it is larger.. MSU is very small so the variation between student abilities is less..

Another debate I find hilarious is between Ramapo and TCNJ.. Ramapo loves to boast how good their SAT scores are for how young a school it is.. They also like to show the growth of the school and how it is where TCNJ was 15 - 20 years ago.. But there is one thing that kills Ramapo and why I think the school is more of a joke than meets the eye and that's the graduation rate.. Last I checked, only 65% of student graduate after 4 years.. That isn't bad, it's fvcking horrible.. 65%? It can't be because the courseowrk is too challenging and students can't handle the workload..

----------

So let's do this.. Everyone list the NJ public schools in order from best to worst (in your own opinion of course) and then we can compare responses.. Use whatever factors you want but place the greatest emphasis on academics..

1. TCNJ

2. RU

3. Ramapo

4. Richard Stockton

5. Rowan

6. Montclair State

7. William Paterson

8. Kean

9. NJCU

10. Thomas Edison (it counts)

I think it's a pretty solid list.. I'd love to see what others think

1. TCNJ (best academics)

2. RU (very close but the academics aren't quite as high but has more overall variety)

3. Ramapo (seems like a poor man's TCNJ to me, not as good academically despite what they say)

4. Rowan

5. Kean (teaching must count for something)

6. Stockton

7. Montclair

8. Willy P

9. NJCU

10. Edison (I don't even know what this is so I'll put it last :giggle: )

Yeah I find it impossible, absolutely impossible, to see MSU ahead of TCNJ.. I think RU and MSU can't be compared though.. RU's best student is way smarter than MSU's, but RU's worst student is way worse than MSU's.. RU has broader spectrum of students because it is larger.. MSU is very small so the variation between student abilities is less..

Another debate I find hilarious is between Ramapo and TCNJ.. Ramapo loves to boast how good their SAT scores are for how young a school it is.. They also like to show the growth of the school and how it is where TCNJ was 15 - 20 years ago.. But there is one thing that kills Ramapo and why I think the school is more of a joke than meets the eye and that's the graduation rate.. Last I checked, only 65% of student graduate after 4 years.. That isn't bad, it's fvcking horrible.. 65%? It can't be because the courseowrk is too challenging and students can't handle the workload..

----------

So let's do this.. Everyone list the NJ public schools in order from best to worst (in your own opinion of course) and then we can compare responses.. Use whatever factors you want but place the greatest emphasis on academics..

1. TCNJ

2. RU

3. Ramapo

4. Richard Stockton

5. Rowan

6. Montclair State

7. William Paterson

8. Kean

9. NJCU

10. Thomas Edison (it counts)

I think it's a pretty solid list.. I'd love to see what others think

I hated TCNJ Education (I was in School of business) until i was into half way through junior year. The fresh - soph teachers were so absolutely terrible. And the art department can suck a fat one. TCNJ is over-rated spends too much time trying to be a public league princeton and digging holes all over the dammed campus.

sorry for the rant i just didnt like the school at all - academically - Socially well thats a different story.

• 7 months later...

After DP is doing his best to yell at me, I think this thread has relevance once again as the college decisions have all rolled in. So, everyone post how you did! How you made your decision, what you're studying, etc.

For me, I was lucky enough to go 7/7. I actually took some of the advice given in this thread and applied to Pratt and NJIT, as well as the other schools:

So, in no particular order, these were the schools I was admitted to.

Miami (deposit sent)

Syracuse

Virginia Tech

NJIT

Pratt

Drexel

PhillyU

Miami was always my clear-cut number one... in general, they only accepted 2,000 students out of 25,700, so a 92.3% rejection rate makes me feel good about myself :evil: I also know that Cracker5 was accepted to Miami, though he's not going because he liked what Drexel offered as far as his business major is concerned. Ultimately, I picked Miami because of an awesome scholarship package they sent me... which made my decision pretty easy.

So, my other high school grads (or old people who remember :) ), post your stories!

So, my other high school grads (or old people who remember :) ), post your stories!

Cram it. :P

Way back in the day, when life was simpler and gasoline cost less than a dollar a gallon...those mystical, care-free days known as the 1990s...I applied to four colleges, and was accepted to all four: College of New Jersey (which I planned to go to starting Fall 2000), Monmouth University, William Patterson University, and Ramapo University.

My parents realized during the summer of 2000 that they couldn't afford to send me to TCNJ, so I didn't go to college at all then. Applied to/went to Middlesex County College in the Fall of '01, hated it. Applied to/went to Kean in Fall of '03 and have been going off and on since, finally bothering to graduate in about a month. Grad school at Kean in Fall '10 seems likely now as well.

Well congrats, MB on getting deciding on Miami and congrats lastone on not being a college student at the same time as us :P (kidding, of course.

I applied to Wake Forest early decision, and I got in. I heard back January 10 or something, so I've known where I've been going for a while. The only other school that I heard back from before Wake was Marquette, which I got into. I withdrew all of my other applications as part of my early decision agreement, so I'll never know if I would have gotten in to my other schools.

I am graduating in 4 weeks from a small liberal arts college in New England (so cliche). Enjoy the next 4 years for those of you starting next fall, they will be a blast.

Well, I think I mentioned this when this thread when it was first started, but I applied to NJIT, Stevens, and TCNJ as my back up. Got on a waiting list for Stevens, got accepted to both TCNJ and NJIT and went with the later.

On new college news, I put in my application for my Masters at Columbia about a week and a half ago, and I'm still waiting for a response. They only accept 30 people a semester in the program I'm going fo, so it's a long shot, but I'm hopeful!

I'm going to Penn State as a physics major (call me crazy, but I love it). I got accepted in like November, but only made the decision last week (waiting for some of my other friends to make their decisions). Also got accepted to Rutgers, TCNJ, and UDel (only other schools I applied to).

I might transfer to Miami. The weather in Northern Indiana is brutal when it comes to walking to class and back

where do you go to school now?

i need to finish my bachelor's. i was going to william paterson but that was pretty much only because i had decent scholarships and a lot of family alumni there. i don't particularly like the school. since i have less than a year left, i might as well finish there though. when i was living in chicago i was just going to finish out at UIC but i never got around to applying. ohh well.

where do you go to school now?

I go to Notre Dame in South Bend. It's nice enough but winter was crippling, and even today it's a nippy 52 degrees. I grew up in Cleveland and I thought I would be prepared for this but I spend so much more time outside it's tough to deal with. Also being out in the sticks I sometimes feel encased in a bubble, not to mention the dorms in my building are pillboxes....

I'm too lazy to actually file a transfer application, but when I came back from spring break to a foot of snow it was pretty tempting. Sometimes I feel like college gave me an excuse to spend much of the next four years virtually anywhere in the country, including my beloved New York City, and I ended up in the Siberian booneys for stupid reasons.

haha but don't call the waahmbulance I don't think it's life threatening

I go to Notre Dame in South Bend. It's nice enough but winter was crippling, and even today it's a nippy 52 degrees. I grew up in Cleveland and I thought I would be prepared for this but I spend so much more time outside it's tough to deal with. Also being out in the sticks I sometimes feel encased in a bubble, not to mention the dorms in my building are pillboxes....

I'm too lazy to actually file a transfer application, but when I came back from spring break to a foot of snow it was pretty tempting. Sometimes I feel like college gave me an excuse to spend much of the next four years virtually anywhere in the country, including my beloved New York City, and I ended up in the Siberian booneys for stupid reasons.

Ah I was thinking about applying there, but decided against it for that reason: I can't take too much snow.

Yeah, it's freezing cold up there, but Notre Dame is a fantastic school. Maybe I'm older and past the whole college thing, but I would rather have an undergrad that gave me the chance at a great job and an even better Masters program than go to a "fun" school and not have the same oppurtunities. You have your whole life to travel, go to different places and experience things. I think younger people get too caught up in the fun of college to realize you're going to have fun your whole life. Campus life is very important and college is an experience like non other, but it shouldn't be your only determinant when choosing a school. Meh, just my two cents!

• 3 months later...

Did you chase a catholic girl?

And what's a good Cleveland boy doing not going to Michigan? My dad is from Cleveland Heights.