Gdt: Ps Game 1 Rangers @ Devils 9/16/09

overtime98

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back from the game and some drinks...

Okay first, our vets:

Parise- all over the place. The kid never stops skating. I saw a few instances where he could have passed but took the shot. Wouldn't say he was being selfish... just hard working. That was one of the prettiest moves I've seen in a long time in the shootout.

Zajac- He is going to get better and better every year. Much more confident, much more physical. That shot he had in the shootout was ridiculous.

b

Zubrus- played very solid. I really like him as a center and he was good on the penalty kill. He and Lemaire should get along nicely.

Rolston- Is he going to be the new Gionta and shoot from the circle every chance he gets? I liked his PK pairing with Zubrus but I doubt he'll be used with Elias and Langs are playing. I can see the PK being Elias-Clarkson, Zubrus-Parise, Zajac-Langenbrunner. Rolston didn't really impress me tonight.

Clarkson- Like Zajac, he's getting better and better. His first goal was a result of hard work. The second was a terrific shot. He was used on the PK and PP tonight too which was good. Less falling down and no wraparound attempts also. Great game for him.

Shanahan- One of the worst Devils of the night. Took a penalty and just looked a step behind. Maybe putting him with the kids is Lemaire's way of saying "get in shape fast old man." He'll be fine on the third or fourth line.

Oduya- Did NOT have a good game. Made a few mistakes and did nothing offensively.

Salvador- Was Salvador, nothing bad, nothing spectacular.

Mottau- Made a few good defensive plays and isn't afraid to take a shot. He is very underrated and a good skater.

-------------------

Guys that are trying to take spots on the roster...

Pelley- Never liked him. He doesn't do anything for me

Pikkarainen- Did nothing spectacular either. He can hit and he's not a terrible skater but I just don't see room for him

Cormier- Didn't do anything crazy but I can see with some work he'll be a solid player. He's very young and at first it looked like he and Urbom were trying way too hard. Good skater

Urbom- Same, looked to be trying too hard. In warmups he was doing some interesting things, but seemed to lose that confidence going into the game. Give him a few more games and see where he's at.

Zharkov- Impressed with this kid! Fast, strong on the puck, smart... hope to see him more.

Bergfors- It seems this may be the year he finally cracks the lineup. He's turning into a good two-way forward. Had an assist tonight by getting the puck to the net on Clarkson's first goal.

Murphy- Looked pretty good. We were calling him Murphy Brown for funsies. He's a small guy and could take Andy Greene's spot.

Fraser- Looked good in the fight but nowhere else.

Leblond- Didn't do anything special

Danis- Very solid. Very impressed with him tonight.

--------------------

Rangers-

Avery- God I hate that guy.

Gilroy- This kid is going to be AWESOME. He also led the Rangers in ice time tonight with 28 min

Kotalik and Prospal are going to be dead weight.

I loved laughing at the people sporting Zherdev, Dubinksy, and Gomez jerseys haha.

Also a shoutout to the douche bag Ranger fans in section 6 texting and shouting Devils suck and Let's go Rangers during the national anthem. You guys are some classy douche nozzles.

---------------------

And number 85 on the Rangers... WHO THE HELL IS MACCARONE!!!??? WHAT A RIDICULOUS MUSTACHE!! He's not even listed on the box score where the hell did this guy come from?!? Macaroni!!

That guy is a defenseman?! Holy crap, with the way he was playing I just assumed he was a forward.

Ya, he was up ahead of the forwards on a lot of plays. I know Tortella likes an active defense but he was the Ranger deepest in the zone at times, which I can't think works in the long term. I started pointing it out to my Dad in the 3rd period and we caught him 3 or 4 times circling behind the Devils net to get back on defense. Even on his goal, he was the second man up the ice, a forward should be there, not a defenseman, unless the Rangers figure since most of their forwards can't score they must be good enough to play defenseman.

Now he has some nice tools, good stickwork and nice skating, but if you're going to be a disaster on defense then you probably need to put up 50 points or something to be a benefit to the team.

"And number 85 on the Rangers... WHO THE HELL IS MACCARONE!!!??? WHAT A RIDICULOUS MUSTACHE!! He's not even listed on the box score where the hell did this guy come from?!? Macaroni!!" --- njdevil26

haha I though the same but I was pronouncing his name like the cookie ... a macca-rune. lol to each their own.

Also I would agree with the majority here that think Urbom is gonna be something special, but not just yet. Maybe a year each of juniors and AHL play then graduate the guy up. no need to hurry someone like this when we have a glut of decent defence to use until he's good and ready. In the same regard I would wait on Cormier for maybe another year or so, though if having him on the team kicks Pelly out of his Lou given birthright position on the team then he couldn't take it fast enough ... I really don't like Pelly. He is what everyone who was a Madden hater made him out to be (a useless lump whos only purpose was to try to prevent someone from scoring for a shift without the slightest chance of scoring). Madden could score, and coincidently was a master of the defensive side of the game. people forget that he set and still has our AHL affiliate record for points in a season at 98points, and Pelly couldn't even match Madden's output from the NHL while he - Pelly - played in the AHL.

Edited by brickwall30

Didn't see anything but the third period, OT and the shootout, but just so glad to see Zach up to his crazy shootout antics after a summer of void...and glad to see Clarkson perform with some previously unseen leadership causes. Good to see him excel among young guys. And this team makes me want Bergfors on my team.

No he's not! They had a whole conversation about him and why he is a UFA after this season including referring to a conversation with him about how he is a UFA after this season at a very young age because he was an undrafted player.

Well on nhl numbers they say that clarkson is RFA

after this season

Source: http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=NJD&season=0910

so all of this lemaire oh noooos! defensive bore hysteria was answered pretty well last night. devils were moving aggressively to the zone and keeping the puck there creating alot of good opportunities. obviously the lines didn't have great chemistry yet since alot of great passes didn't find the net but that's going to improve. I liked the offensive output, and defense seemed to toy with the rags, at no point i thought they were chasing the puck but more like just letting rags make a mistake to take over.

Thanks for the run down everyone. I was so tired I went to bed right after our back-to-school open house! My husband kept yelling to me finally during the shoot out he was all shocked -- "you're SLEEPING?"

One thought based on comments here: Maybe Zach was trying to provide leadership? Leadership by example? You've got to start pushing from somewhere. :noclue:

Thanks for the run down everyone. I was so tired I went to bed right after our back-to-school open house! My husband kept yelling to me finally during the shoot out he was all shocked -- "you're SLEEPING?"

One thought based on comments here: Maybe Zach was trying to provide leadership? Leadership by example? You've got to start pushing from somewhere. :noclue:

Ooohh, if you weren't watching, then maybe I shouldn't mention that they showed Stevens in one of the luxury boxes during last night's game. :whistling:

Watched the game on TV last night. Micheletti was in the booth with Doc and Chico. He was a lot more easygoing compared to last preseason when he jumped on Chico every chance he got. This time around, he mostly sat back and let Doc and Chico do their thing but threw in some lighthearted jabs at Doc about his Pittsburgh Pirates. Whatever tiff Joe had with Chico might be over, although I guess we'll have to wait till Chico visits the Rangers broadcast booth before we can make a final judgment.

Fraser played 2 games last night -- he looked great before the fight, terrible after it. He deserves another look. If he can establish some consistency, I want to see him on the team. He can do more than Leach and Mottau. I don't like pairing him with Salvador, and I think that contributed to his ineffectiveness late. Both of them are slow and physical. They need to play with guys who can skate.

Murphy got progressively better. I want to see him on the roster. I'd like to see him and Fraser split time (if Fraser improves a little).

I'm assuming Corrente not playing means he hasn't impressed. Too bad.

Pairings:

Martin White

Oduya Salvador

Fraser Greene

and

Martin Oduya

White Murphy

Salvador Greene

Mottau also on the roster. Sorry to Leach, but Fraser has more upside.

Parise and Shanny had some rough patches, but I'm not concerned. Shanny made a beautiful pass on the second goal. His legs may not be there yet, but he's smart, his stick work is still great, and he'll get in shape in the preseason.

We need a center. Cormier's whole line suffered because of him. Zharkov looked good with other guys, and we all know what Clarkie did. I'm not saying Cormier's a bust, but he needs another year of seasoning.

Zharkov looked better than Pikka. I have no problem giving him that spot.

Lines (when healthy)

ZZPop

Rolston Elias Bergfors

Zharkov/PL3 Zubbie Clarkson

Pando Pelley (sigh) Shanny

Sorry this was so long, I'm way too pumped for this season.

Tri, maybe it's just me...but do you feel like we've heard nothing about Pandolfo in this preseason.

He hasn't been mentioned on certain lines, asked about Lemaire, or what his role might be. I'm not saying he won't play PK this year, but I didn't think with Zubrus, Rolston, Zajac, Parise, and Jamie...where does Jay fit in.

Edited by HellOnICE

Tri, maybe it's just me...but do you feel like we've heard nothing about Pandolfo in this preseason.

He hasn't been mentioned on certain lines, asked about Lemaire, or what his role might be. I'm not saying he won't play PK this year, but I didn't think with Zubrus, Rolston, Zajac, Parise, and Jamie...where does Jay fit in.

wishful thinking. i don't see how jay's not on this team, if they waive him they really can't bring him back. and fwiw he was asked about lemaire on the first day of camp.

Edited by Triumph

I am still trying to piece together some kind of a lineup and I can't.

I don't want to see Pelley this year...

I hope Shanahan gets in shape because he looked old and slow last night.

I honestly don't want to see Pandolfo either.

I'd like Zharkov, Bergfors, and Cormier to get some time.