Shanahan leaves Devils

iamtheprodigy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep down we all knew this was going to happen, no way Shanny could play this long...sadly.

Umm... no. Deep down, nobody knew this would happen. We signed him for one year and everybody expected him to play the season. And it's not that he can't play anymore, it's that the younger guys have surpassed him and we need to give them a chance now. Shanny could still play and be somewhat successful in the right environment(not playing too many games, getting opportunities with other scoring players), which we just don't have room for anymore with more younger guys coming up.

I don't know where people conger up these images of Shanahan as a teacher or a mentor. He's a player who wants to play. That other stuff is pure fantasy.

"It was nice to have him around, he gave me a lot of advice and tips on how to play."

-Niclas Bergfors on Shanny leaving (http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/10/devils-players-surprised-by-decision-to-let-shanahan-go.html)

This quote seems to suggest that Shanny's mentoring abilities did in fact exist. I'm not saying he would have been Bergfors's father, teaching his little son how to play the game. That's unrealistic, and kinda creepy. But older guys can provide tips from experiences, to call that "pure fantasy" is an exaggeration.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

WTF!? :blink:

Well it looks like the Devils youth movement is on for this season. It was going to happen sooner or later. Shanahan I think wanted to play on any of the top 3 lines and there was no room for him and don't think he wanted to play on the 4th line where there will not be a lot of minutes a game played there. Time to retire now Shanahan. Devils are a younger team this season for sure now. Maybe better off that way too.

This is going to be an exciting 3 years for the Devils. Bergfors and Halischuk this year, maybe Josefson and Zharkov next year, Cormier and Tedenby maybe the year after. I know a few may not make it but we finally have assets for a trade.

Also on defense there is Corrente, Eckford and Murphy. All should make this Devils team within the next 3 years.

Also on defense there is Corrente, Eckford and Murphy. All should make this Devils team within the next 3 years.

It looks like Murphy is starting opening night so I guess he's on the team.

I would think the future to look on defense is Eckford, Corrente, Burlon, Urbom and then maybe a guy like Gelinas possibly.

It looks like Murphy is starting opening night so I guess he's on the team.

I would think the future to look on defense is Eckford, Corrente, Burlon, Urbom and then maybe a guy like Gelinas possibly.

Yeah, realized Murphy made the team after I put that in there. Guessing he made the team over Greene. Anyway, there is some good young defenseman that will be up for the Devils in the near future.

Edited by SatansDevils

"It was nice to have him around, he gave me a lot of advice and tips on how to play."

-Niclas Bergfors on Shanny leaving (http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/10/devils-players-surprised-by-decision-to-let-shanahan-go.html)

This quote seems to suggest that Shanny's mentoring abilities did in fact exist. I'm not saying he would have been Bergfors's father, teaching his little son how to play the game. That's unrealistic, and kinda creepy. But older guys can provide tips from experiences, to call that "pure fantasy" is an exaggeration.

Agreed, the only fantasy is that Shanahan is irreplaceable as a player which is nonsense. He had 14 points in 34 games last year after a terrible second half with the Rangers two years ago, I think we can make up that production.

Granted I was kind of intrigued with a Shanny-Zubrus-Clarkson third line once Elias came back but honestly if it was anyone else's name on the back of the uniform we would have wanted him out the door last year and we did suspect he would have to take a reduced role at some point this year anyway, which wasn't something he wanted to do.

We're funny as a fanbase, last year we were kicking and screaming that the Devils didn't give the youth a chance, now they are doing that this year and people are tearing out their hair over letting the vets go.

Edited by Hasan4978

We're funny as a fanbase, last year we were kicking and screaming that the Devils didn't give the youth a chance, now they are doing that this year and people are tearing out their hair over letting the vets go.

Some are upset. For me, this move has been the most exciting thing to happen to the Devils since Marty broke the record, and that includes the rehiring of Lemaire. It's a sign that Bergfors and Halishuck can contribute. If Pandolfo can be a healthy scratch most nights, I may dance a jig.

I agree with a lot of posters here. Shanny gets the C in the first game, he gets the A in other games when Langs comes back. He scores goals in the preseason, just this past week against the Islanders with the assist by Bergfors... IT just doesnt add up... Something must have happened with Lemaire or something because why would he make Shanny wear the C the first pre-season game and now they wanna kick him to the curb? I dont get this move at all, especially when a lot of the younger guys like Clarkson, Parise and Zajac looked up to him. Get rid of that trash Pandolfo if you need to make room for younger players. I have a feeling that this Pikkarinien is gonna be a complete bust, Malakov style... What a let down and just as this got a few wears this year :(

shannynew.jpg

shannydo.jpg

LemaireLouNJD.jpg

Is this really what happend?

Lou to Shanny...

LouNothanks.jpg

Another one bites the dust. Its sad the way it sometimes ends for former big time players but time stops for no one. This is a young mans game and it simply boils down to the fact that the team feels the younger guys have more to offer at this point. I was totally against Shanahan coming aboard last year because I pretty much thought he was done from watching him with the Raggots 2 seasons ago. I guess he did as well as could be expected last year but overall he was pretty average. He brings a boatload of intangibles to the table for sure but his best years are way behind him.

I liked the idea of having Shanny back for another year, but I also like the idea of making room for the kids (how's that for playing it down the middle?).

Seriously, we gotta let these young guys play. That was a big gripe with some of the fans the past few years.

This is going to be an exciting 3 years for the Devils. Bergfors and Halischuk this year, maybe Josefson and Zharkov next year, Cormier and Tedenby maybe the year after. I know a few may not make it but we finally have assets for a trade.

This might be my favorite post so far in this thread.

Would it really have been that bad to let Shanny play until Elias came back? At least see where Shanny was at, at that time? Pandolfo should have been cut if you wanna make room for the "kids"

Lets see the kids do this and spark the team to make an incredible comeback and get out of a losing streak slump.

Shanny Penalty Shot

Edited by BlizzardCyclone

Tears of joy that they chose to slow their team down so much.

Shanny in a Torts system would be hilarious. like post-lockout Andreychuk. I really don't see how anyone could have seen him play with Zach and Zajac and really be surprised by this. His name was going to get him by, except it didn't.

without his name he looked like cut fodder, and that's exactly what happened. if you're going to have a skating team, there's no covering him up, and let's be honest, him playing with Pelley and Peters is an indignity.

Would it really have been that bad to let Shanny play until Elias came back? At least see where Shanny was at, at that time? Pandolfo should have been cut if you wanna make room for the "kids"

Lets see the kids do this and spark the team to make an incredible comeback and get out of a losing streak slump.

Shanny Penalty Shot

if you're going to go down that road, Pando tied that game.

From what I understand, it's a lot more difficult and a lot more expensive to get rid of Pandolfo than Shanahan right now. Blame the CBA, I guess. Or blame Shanny, since it seems like this decision was equally on him, Lemaire and Lou. It sounds like Shanny wasn't playing up to the level he wanted, Lemaire agreed and Lou did the difficult, but necessary, task of making the cut.

Pikkachu > Shanahan???

why bother signing Neidermayer if you need to make room for the kids? Sestito would have been fine as a center for us. He is definitely better than Pelley... I wasn't even that impressed with Halischuk either, I would have preferred Zharkov over him.

no, Tim Sestito would not be fine at C for us, and he's not actually better than Pelley. he works hard, I'll give him that, but you do not open a season with Tim Sestito at 3rd line C unless you're on crack or you're trying to tank.

edit: just to add, Tim Sestito has 28 AHL points in 141 games. Pelley had 10 more last season. I'm going to put this bluntly, Tim Sestito is a poor man's Rod Pelley who will occasionally throw down the gloves.

Edited by maxpower