Shanny placed on waivers

marty_is_better30

http://njmg.typepad.com/devilsblog/2009/10/report-shanahan-placed-on-waivers.html

Report: Shanahan placed on waivers

TSN's Bob McKenzie is reporting that the Devils have placed left wing Brendan Shahanan on waivers.

I'm waiting to hear back from the Devils to confirm this.

When I spoke to Lamoriello this morning he said the team would make a decision, "soon" on whether to place Shanahan on waivers.

The Devils moved Shanahan Monday to the "non-roster list", so they could activate right wing Ilkka Pikkarainen off injured reserve.

http://tsn.ca/blogs/?id=293969

-The New Jersey Devils have put veteran forward Brendan Shanahan on waivers to get him off their roster. The 40-year old winger re-signed for one year with the Devils as an unrestricted free agent on August 5 with the intention of playing a 22nd NHL campaign, but reconsidered his plans at the beginning of this month. With 656 goals, Shanahan ranks 11th on the all-time goal-scoring list. A three-time Stanley Cup winner with the Detroit Red Wings, Shanahan signed with the Devils as a free agent midway through last season, and returned to the team where he started his NHL career in 1987. In 34 games for New Jersey last year, Shanahan counted six goals and eight assists
Edited by marty_is_better30

For heavens sake we don't need Shanny!He was a great hockey player but we don't need him! Our team is in a rebuilding stage. Maybe Pikky and other rookies aren't shining but next year when the know the game and we have Jofeson and/or Tendenby we will get to be a elite team. NO team can go more then 20 years without have at least a rebuilding year! Next year we will have a hell of a team! But for now we wait.

Also! We aren't a bad team we almost won last night, very close, and we had one blowout against Philly. Marty will brush of the rust and we will regain strength! :gd:

Why? Other than the 'intangible experience' argument. He brings little to nothing on the ice.

Considering he was one of the best players that played last year in the playoffs and his leadership, it has to be better than what is out on those lines right now the last two games. Right now the Devils are a one line scoring line needing a #2 center for a second line and playing two 4th line type lines in the last two games. Shut down the top line the Devils are in trouble and lucky to have 2 goals a game. At least Shanahan is a scoring threat and he knows how to work that PP that is horrendus right now. I belive Shanahan gives the Devils a better chance of winning games.

I like to believe that Lou and JL can tell when a player is done.

Also, how much "leadership" do we need (Langs, Elias, White, Pando, Martin, Rolston) before we become old.

If this team needs 6 guys instead of 5 guys to tell them "how its supposed to be" then they weren't going very far in the NHL to begin with.

Considering he was one of the best players that played last year in the playoffs and his leadership, it has to be better than what is out on those lines right now the last two games. Right now the Devils are a one line scoring line needing a #2 center for a second line and playing two 4th line type lines in the last two games. Shut down the top line the Devils are in trouble and lucky to have 2 goals a game. At least Shanahan is a scoring threat and he knows how to work that PP that is horrendus right now. I belive Shanahan gives the Devils a better chance of winning games.

The 'scoring threat' had 6 goals and 8 assists in 34 games last year, and 2 power play goals. How is that going to spark the second line OR powerplay? I'd much rather have Bergfors, Halishuk, and Pikkarainen.

Using the 'leadership' logic, we should have signed every 40 year old on the market. I liked Shanny alot, especially in the playoffs, but people need to learn when to just let go.

For heavens sake we don't need Shanny!He was a great hockey player but we don't need him! Our team is in a rebuilding stage. Maybe Pikky and other rookies aren't shining but next year when the know the game and we have Jofeson and/or Tendenby we will get to be a elite team. NO team can go more then 20 years without have at least a rebuilding year! Next year we will have a hell of a team! But for now we wait.

Also! We aren't a bad team we almost won last night, very close, and we had one blowout against Philly. Marty will brush of the rust and we will regain strength! :gd:

Wow Par99, very good post. I agree with you on this, we needed to work some younger guys into the lineup and we still are a good team. No reason for anyone to lose all the faith after 2 games.