2010 YANKEES HOT-STOVE THREAD

MB3

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a small rumor but I figured I'd pass it along here...Yankees interested in Johnson as fallback option?

I keep hearing the same thing.

<_< Not really sure it'd equate to either JD or HM, but it's becoming more and more possible the Yanks lose them both... so I guess we'll see.

Really don't want to see Hideki go. Beyond just the MVP postseason he had, his regular season numbers were very good aswell. Nearly 30 HR, and 90 RBI's? This was the best season he's had since '05. Shame if he walks.

The Chicago Tribune's Dave van Dyke is reporting the Tigers are closing in on a deal that would send Edwin Jackson and outfielder Curtis Granderson to the New York Yankees.

http://blog.mlive.com/cutoffman/2009/12/report_tigers_close_to_dealing.html

Jackson is coming off of a great half year (he was terrible in the 2nd half) and Granderson is a joke vs LHP. I would be pretty cautious of giving up too much if I were the Yanks...

Edited by nmigliore

These winter meetings are a joke.. take any rumor like it's Ecklund.

Playing along, though, Buster Olney said it would take Phil Hughes and A-Jax for Edwin Jackson and Curtis Granderson. If Cashman didn't bust a gut laughing, I don't know what he did..

In the latest form of this trade, the Yankees, who balked late Monday night, would surrender slightly less. Now they'd be sending top outfield prospect Austin Jackson and reliever Phil Coke to Detroit, plus pitching prospect Ian Kennedy to Arizona, in order to land Granderson from Detroit. The Diamondbacks would wind up with the two pitchers, Edwin Jackson and Kennedy, while the Tigers would get Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Austin Jackson and Coke.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_heyman/12/07/winter.buzz/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0Z7jbAdRg

Supposedly that deal is really close according to Joel Sherman of the NY Post... that would be a good return for the Tigers considering they are trying to dump salary. As for the Yankees, I'd be a little cautious with Granderson -- hideous lefty/right splits and his wOBA has been on the decline the past 3 seasons. The Yankees should use him as a CF'er where his value is best.

Even with the 'bad stuff' with Granderson it still looks like a really good deal for the Yankees, I think. But I don't know how much you guys value Austin Jackson. Also this deal looks stupid from a DBacks perspective -- Scherzer is better than Edwin Jackson.

edit: deal is supposedly official now -- http://twitter.com/nyp_joelsherman/status/6471885018

The more I think of it, the more I think its a really nice deal for the Yankees. I think he'll bounce back next year playing in that Yankee bandbox, despite the atrocious splits.

Edited by nmigliore

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jon_heyman/12/07/winter.buzz/index.html?eref=writers#ixzz0Z7jbAdRg

Even with the 'bad stuff' with Granderson it still looks like a really good deal for the Yankees, I think. But I don't know how much you guys value Austin Jackson. Also this deal looks stupid from a DBacks perspective -- Scherzer is better than Edwin Jackson.

Jackson, if he reached his ceiling would have been Granderson, so only giving up him, a bum reliever and a pitcher who didn't have a place on the team is a good deal

I don't like it, I just don't. If you wanted to add some talent, do it via Free Agency. Don't sell the farm to get a guy who's hitting below the Mendoza line against LHP.

The Yankees didn't give up much. Is Ian Kennedy even a top prospect for them still? Don't think that even matters anyway since Joba and Hughes are probably ahead of him on the starter depth chart.

And as long as they have Granderson (who is under their control through 2013) whats the need for Austin Jackson, especially for a team that can win right now?

I guess an alternative could have been signing Mike Cameron for 1 year who would be just as effective as Granderson and bridge the gap to Jackson in 2011, but I don't see anything wrong with what they did. Even the Tigers came out of it with a nice package. Its the DBacks that got a pretty weak return...

Edited by nmigliore

I don't like it, I just don't. If you wanted to add some talent, do it via Free Agency. Don't sell the farm to get a guy who's hitting below the Mendoza line against LHP.

This.

I thought the were committed to Jackson. I think they could have done better than Granderson for what they gave up.

This.

I thought the were committed to Jackson. I think they could have done better than Granderson for what they gave up.

Do you think Granderson is a bum or something? With the way he pulls the ball, he could be a 30 HR centerfielder who has hit .300 in the past. Coke is worthless and Kennedy was never going to get into the rotation, so just a good minor leaguer for an in his prime major leaguer is a good deal. The only good CF on the market is Mike Cameron who isn't as good as Granderson, except for last year and who is about 10 years older. AJax showed no power in the minors and we got a potential 30 HR CF. Those just don't exist that often and Jackson wasn't going to be that. Jackson wasn't some kind of uber prospect who they could have a gotten a star straight up for. He was a good prospect for sure, but a sure fire all star? No way

Edited by DH26

Do you think Granderson is a bum or something? With the way he pulls the ball, he could be a 30 HR centerfielder who has hit .300 in the past. Coke is worthless and Kennedy was never going to get into the rotation, so just a good minor leaguer for an in his prime major leaguer is a good deal. The only good CF on the market is Mike Cameron who isn't as good as Granderson, except for last year and who is about 10 years older. AJax showed no power in the minors and we got a potential 30 HR CF. Those just don't exist that often and Jackson wasn't going to be that. Jackson wasn't some kind of uber prospect who they could have a gotten a star straight up for. He was a good prospect for sure, but a sure fire all star? No way

That's not what I said. Granderson is a very good player, a former All-star. I just don't support trading (who they've made out to be) your best prospect for someone who is not an excellent player, and after last year I'm not sure Granderson is that. That given, this is a great opportunity to buy low, and if this trade happened after last season (or if Granderson was two years younger), I would be ecstatic. And I speak the truth when I say I will be the happiest person I know if I am proved wrong. My leaning towards disapproval on this trade is not based on it not working this season (It definitely improves the team), but long-term I would have rolled the dice on Jackson. But, I guess there is a reason Cashman is the GM and I am not.

I think this is a very solid trade for the Yankees. Kennedy was expandable with Hughes and Joba in NY to stay and with CC and AJ signed long term. Plus McAllister may very well end up having a better career than Kennedy. I don't mind trading Coke since relievers can be replaced easily and it's not like he is anything special. Losing Jackson hurts since he was a top prospect for them but it still remains to be seen if he can strike out less and fulfill his potential in the power department. He's going to be a major leaguer but what type is still out there to be answered. I wish all three players the best of luck in their careers.

Granderson is an interesting player, solid defensively (though it's been dropping off the past two years, perhaps playing though injuries may have lowered it), still 4.9 UZR/150 for his career and he is entering his prime, nails right handed pitching but struggles heavily against lefties, and is a solid base stealer.

I'm not worried about the righty/lefty thing...as Chad Jennings pointed out "the Yankees only faced lefties in about 30 percent of plate appearances." Who knows maybe working with a new hitting coach will help him improve a bit in that department. Also his overall BABIP was .273 last year which is below his career .323 which seems to indicate he should have a bounce back season. If he can return to improving his batting average and on-base percentage the Yankees are in for a treat. As NoMaas pointed out "he led all MLB CFs in OPS and OPS+ from 2007-2008 with a whopping .887 and 129, respectively." His value has also been solid the past few years with a WAR of 18.5 since 2006 and he is still in his prime.

This also works financially too since he is turning 29 this year and is only owed $5.5MM in 2010, $8.25MM in '11, and $10MM in '12, with a $13MM club option/$2MM buyout for '13. Overall the Yankees should get solid value out of this deal, great job by Cashman. Plus this also gives them leverage on Damon and I wouldn't be opposed to having Cameron come in and moving Melky out in some sort of trade. I think the Yankees are probably not going after Holliday and are not serious contenders in the Halladay sweepstakes.

If Halladay ends up a Yankee, it will go down the way Tex did. He'll get stolen from someone else.

I don't see Matsui or Damon back. I can definitely see them still go after Bay or Holliday.

Id also expect more trades. Swisher, that pick they got in the Bruney deal (#1 in tomorrows draft), are all rumored to be on the blocks. Wouldnt be surprised to see Melky dealt either. I really doubt they go into the season with Gardner, Melky, and Granderson.

Andy's back

...very pleased about this. Most likely Andy's last year.

also very pleased. But now it will be interesting who gets kicked out of the rotation between Joba and Hughes.

Rotation:

Sabathia

Burnett

Pettitte

Wang (hopefully)

Hughes/Joba

Rumors out of Seattle this morning that Jason Bay is signing with them any day, as he's a Vancouver guy and wants to be closer to home. Great :) If that happens, I want the Yankees to get Holliday, just to screw over Boston :lol:

And the Phillies are supposedly really big into Halladay and may even offer Hamels! That would be pretty deadly on their part. Id rather not face Doc and Lee in a World Series, but Id much rather see the SOB in the NL if not in pinstripes.