Lou Lamoriello Appreciation Thread

devilsrule33

This is a thread to honour the career of one of the great hockey minds of all-time and to celebrate his induction into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Discuss anything positive (greatest trades? Greatest signings? One move that stands out for you) you want about his career that includes 22 seasons as the GM of the Devils.

Lamoriello01.jpg

3320099.jpeg

t1_lamoriello1_all.jpg

A very good interview with Lou Lamoriello from HNIC Radio that I recommend (I am hoping everyone in the USA can listen):

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/Sports/Hockey_Night_in_Canada_Radio_on_Sirius/ID=1321745424

Lamoriello attended Providence College and captained both the hockey and baseball teams while there. He discovered his calling when, upon graduation, he stayed on at the college as an assistant coach of the men's hockey and baseball teams. Four years later, he was named head coach of the hockey team at his alma mater, and served in that role until 1987. Beginning in 1982, he also served as the school's athletic director.

A born organizer, Lou served as a member of the Big East Conference Television Committee and NCAA Professional Sports Committee and was one of the founders of the Hockey East Association, serving as Commissioner from 1983 to 1987. In fact, Lou did such a wonderful job that beginning in 1989, teams winning Hockey East's championship are awarded the Lamoriello Cup.

http://www.hhof.com/LegendsOfHockey/html/ind09Lamoriello.htm

Lamoriello was mostly unknown outside American college hockey circles when Devils owner John McMullen appointed him president in April 1987. When Lamoriello named himself GM barely five months later, the appointment seemed even more questionable. But he got the Devils into the playoffs for the first time in nine seasons, even winning a round.
Once asked to sum up his approach to putting together his hockey teams, Lou Lamoriello said: "I fill when empty, empty when filled and scratch when it itches."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/2009/11/07/11668251-sun.html

Lamoriello has been with the Devils for more than 20 years. In fact, no current GM in hockey has been with his team longer. And, during his tenure with the Devils -- which began when the late Dr. John McMullen hired Lamoriello in the spring of 1987 -- New Jersey has developed into a model NHL franchise.

In his first season as GM, the Devils notched their first winning season in franchise history, a history that went back to the franchise's early years as the Kansas City Scouts and then the Colorado Rockies before moving to New Jersey in 1982.

New Jersey has made the Stanley Cup Playoffs in all but two of Lamoriello's 21 full seasons as GM and has appeared in the Stanley Cup Final on four occasions, winning titles in 1995, 2000 and 2003.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=504568

"Nothing surpasses the three Stanley Cups. Nothing. If you had to look for one highlight beyond the Cups, I would say John MacLean's shot in 1987 [in overtime on the last day of regular season for New Jersey's first playoff berth]. That was the turning point, getting to the playoffs and setting the stage for everything else to come.
"You have to have a philosophy that you believe in yourself and practice on a daily basis. Competence, loyalty and work ethic are vital. Find the people who believe in what you believe and have those characteristics. Get strong people. Don't let the media and fans distract you from the information you have. You just hope that you don't make more mistakes than things you get right. Stay the course.

"That's why there is the logo on the front and the name on the back."

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/06/lou-lamoriellos-creed-competence-loyalty-and-work-ethic/

The secret to his success? He has been driven since he was a high school math teacher and focused since the day he realized coaching (hockey and baseball) was the right path rather than pursuing a career as a catcher in the San Francisco Giants organization.

“All of this is simply a compliment to people I’ve had the fortune to be associated with,” Lamoriello said. “Look at how fortunate I am. I spent over 20 years with one university and over 20 years with one franchise.”

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/11/post_7.html

Edited by devilsrule33

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lou's made so many good moves its hard to pick one that stands out. My favorite thing about him is his attitude and how he consistently fields a team capable of the playoffs and often much more. I'm very glad the Devils have had him all these years and I hope he doesn't step down for quite some time.

hell even look at the Captials... or look around the league... or even other sports too... how many teams lose star and key players and go right in the sh!tter (even mighty Detroit this year).... not this team... we take a beating and keep on ticking.... (at least until April.....)

we need to clone lou NOW!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Lou is the one man you can credit the success, the moves, and the Cups of this organization more than anyone else. Although his recent decisions have been more questionable, we can do nothing but thank this man for all he's done for the franchise and the state of Jersey. Lou, I salute you.

i don't know that anyone else would have the audacity to....

- trade kirk muller, pat verbeek, and sean burke

- ask for scott stevens as compensation for brendan shanahan

- fire robbie ftorek in march of 2000

some great trades:

* acquiring peter stastny for craig wolanin

* trading tom kurvers for the leafs #1 pick in 1991 (scott niedermayer)

* trading sylvain turgeon to montreal for claude lemieux

* acquiring randy mckay as compensation for detroit signing troy crowder

* acquiring bobby holik (and a 2nd) for sean burke and eric weinrich

95 had some doozies - neal broten for corey millen, and alex semak and ben hankinson for danton cole and shawn chambers. i could go on and on like this - lou just doesn't often get taken in a trade.

draft picks: brodeur, niedermayer, guerin, rolston, parise, zajac, shanahan, and so on

undrafted free agents: clarkson, oduya, madden, rafalski, etc.

if i ever got into business, i'd hope to take elements of lou's style.

Edited by Triumph

i don't know that anyone else would have the audacity to....

- trade kirk muller, pat verbeek, and sean burke

- ask for scott stevens as compensation for brendan shanahan

- fire robbie ftorek in march of 2000

some great trades:

* acquiring peter stastny for craig wolanin

* trading tom kurvers for the leafs #1 pick in 1991 (scott niedermayer)

* trading sylvain turgeon to montreal for claude lemieux

* acquiring randy mckay as compensation for detroit signing troy crowder

* acquiring bobby holik (and a 2nd) for sean burke and eric weinrich

95 had some doozies - neal broten for corey millen, and alex semak and ben hankinson for danton cole and shawn chambers. i could go on and on like this - lou just doesn't often get taken in a trade.

draft picks: brodeur, niedermayer, guerin, rolston, parise, zajac, shanahan, and so on

undrafted free agents: clarkson, oduya, madden, rafalski, etc.

if i ever got into business, i'd hope to take elements of lou's style.

There are some gems in this post but like you said you could go on if you wanted to. I'll mention 95 because his work that season was incredible. He basically put this team over the top with the trades he made that year.

I'll never understand how anyone can criticize the man. He said in one of his recent interviews that you hope you're right more then you're wrong so even he understands that he has not been perfect. Sure he has made some mistakes but when you look at his whole body of work he has done a remarkable job. Before he arrived here this franchise was a complete laughing stock (think the last 15 years of the Islanders franchise less the history and blips of moderate success) We cheer for one of the most well run teams in all of professional sports and we have him to thank for it. 3 Stanley Cup Championships earns the man a pass for life as far as I'm concerned. Its because of him that the Devils logo now stands for something.

Edited by SickMan