Get Rid of 'You Suck'

pattyelias

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

First of all, am I reading this correctly? Some of you are for changing the goal song?!?! How quickly we forget how pissed off everyone was whey they took RR Pt 2 away... I worked for the team at the time and had to listen to hundreds of fans call and complain about Ole. I can't tell you how many times I heard lines like "I just can't enjoy Devils hockey without RR pt 2".... You all made my life miserable for months with those phone calls (maybe not YOU all, but fans in general)...Now the team gives you the song back and you're complaining because people are adding to it?!?! Get over yourself and just be happy they scored an effin goal! :argh:

I do, however, agree with general consensus on the Rangers suck chant... that is juvenile and really needs to go unless we're playing the Rags. I love that there are people willing to cheer/chant, but perhaps we change it to <team we're playing> sucks? (and if you have a problem with "sucks" in general... grow up! Kids are going to hear it somewhere else anyway. It's a hockey game, not a playground).

-end rant-

well i'm going to counter-rant, although i am sorry that you had to listen to devils fans' complaints.

a goal is the galvanizing moment for the crowd - the time when fans can be happy and celebrate. but the devils' fans are not celebrating - they are pointing out the other team's failure. and do you know who does that? losers. losers do that. that's why loser franchises like nashville and the islanders do it, teams that haven't won a playoff round either ever or in 15 years. and if you got beat by nashville or the islanders on most nights, the fans were right, you do suck. but the devils aren't a loser franchise - a lot of their fans don't realize it, but they're not. there's no need to act like that. it comes from the same place as the rangers suck chant when the devils are down 4-1 against edmonton.

i don't like rooting for a loser franchise.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-Begin Rant -

Seriously people?!?!?

First of all, ...

I prefer in order:

1. Unaltered RR part 2

2. Another Song

3. Altered RR part 2 with "You suck"

I realize you are frustrated from your position in the company, but I don't think my position is that hard to understand, and I don't think I need to "get over myself." I think its classless for one, but what really annoys me is what Triumph states. Insulting someone is the trademark of the insecure. I don't enjoy rooting for a team that feels the need to insult the other team when celebrating (and especially the Rangers for no reason whatsoever). I think it's lame and frequently pathetic.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

I reserve the right to tell people they suck, especially when they do. I agree with everyone who said don't break out the you suck when we're getting blown out of the water, but heckling is a part of sports, and lots of fans, secure or not, heckle. The people whining about Devils fans image or insecurity are the ones who are insecure, the rest of us are enjoying a time honored fan tradition. I'm not saying we shouldn't censor ourselves a little, or that everyone should chant you suck, but there's nothing wrong with yelling it.

Also, my favorite cheer is (insert name here) you suck. AND I HOPE YOU DIE!

I LOVE "YOU SUCK" AFTER GOALS! IT MUST NEVER CHANGE!

Seriously though, it's become part of the game experience for me. At least our fans are passionate enough to cheer stuff like this, the "Rangers suck!" chant, etc. unlike other places where the fans just sit there until a goal and then have a generic goal celebration.

well i'm going to counter-rant, although i am sorry that you had to listen to devils fans' complaints.

a goal is the galvanizing moment for the crowd - the time when fans can be happy and celebrate. but the devils' fans are not celebrating - they are pointing out the other team's failure. and do you know who does that? losers. losers do that. that's why loser franchises like nashville and the islanders do it, teams that haven't won a playoff round either ever or in 15 years. and if you got beat by nashville or the islanders on most nights, the fans were right, you do suck. but the devils aren't a loser franchise - a lot of their fans don't realize it, but they're not. there's no need to act like that. it comes from the same place as the rangers suck chant when the devils are down 4-1 against edmonton.

i don't like rooting for a loser franchise.

lol at your logic. does that mean duke basketball is a loser franchise(college)?

Seriously though, it's become part of the game experience for me. At least our fans are passionate enough to cheer stuff like this, the "Rangers suck!" chant, etc. unlike other places where the fans just sit there until a goal and then have a generic goal celebration.

by other places do you mean the rock? Cause the only chants we seem to do is the "You suck" after goals. Even the "rangers suck" chant seems to be dying down.

I prefer in order:

1. Unaltered RR part 2

2. Another Song

3. Altered RR part 2 with "You suck"

I realize you are frustrated from your position in the company, but I don't think my position is that hard to understand, and I don't think I need to "get over myself." I think its classless for one, but what really annoys me is what Triumph states. Insulting someone is the trademark of the insecure. I don't enjoy rooting for a team that feels the need to insult the other team when celebrating (and especially the Rangers for no reason whatsoever). I think it's lame and frequently pathetic.

I personally don't use the "You Suck" when celebrating, but I'm certainly not going to let other people saying it ruin my enjoyment of the goal. Just like I hate smokers, but I'm not going to let the fact that someone smokes near me ruin my day. People are always going to do things that you don't agree with. In my opinion, letting it get to you is neither smart nor healthy. There's enough stress in life... how the guy next to you celebrates a goal should be at the bottom of the list of worries in today's world.

The team itself does not feel the need to insult the other team while celebrating. It's actually quite the opposite, for the most part the players have a very high respect for their opponent (with obvious exceptions when it comes to Brodeur/Avery). I don't understand why your seat neighbor saying "You Suck" after a goal should have any effect on your ability or willingness to root for the team.

Edited by langenmuffin

by other places do you mean the rock? Cause the only chants we seem to do is the "You suck" after goals. Even the "rangers suck" chant seems to be dying down.

My bad, I should have worded that better. I was referring to fans of some other teams that just sit there and clap, if they do anything. And, I don't think "rangers suck" is dying down, but that could just be me.

Edited by nyrsuck26

a goal is the galvanizing moment for the crowd - the time when fans can be happy and celebrate. but the devils' fans are not celebrating - they are pointing out the other team's failure.

I'm not quite sure the majority of the drunk fans yelling "you suck" are really maliciously hoping that the other team hears it and gets discouraged. Nor are they really thinking about what they're implying. For most fans, I feel they just say it because it's funny to them, it fits, and it's just an aggressive chant.

Do I do it? Hell yeah. And I'll continue to, because, quite frankly, there aren't many other chants that go on at the games anymore. It's kinda sad, when the entire arena rarely gets into a 'let's go devils' chant when the team needs it. Fully support the 'rangers suck' chant as well, in most cases. It's just part of the rivalry; I love hating the rangers (even though that might not be...healthy)

(not directed towards tri)

-Instead of ranting about two stupid words that, in all honestly, mean nothing to most fans, how about we start a thread about the lack of fan support at the games. THAT is the major problem imo. Sure, there are the diehard sections that provide all the energy they can, but it's frustrating to hear how quiet the arena gets. The chants are never timely either; sure it's great to chant and support the team after they score...but how about when the team's down a goal or two midway through the third period? THAT's when the team needs the energy, and more often than not it seems that most fans have already checked out by that point. It's especially frustrating when a "let's go rangers" chant drowns out the devils fans, but I suppose there's not much you can do when new yorkers buy the tickets.

So in summary, in my humble opinion:

lack of fan support >>>>> the "you suck" chants.

First of all, am I reading this correctly? Some of you are for changing the goal song?!?! How quickly we forget how pissed off everyone was whey they took RR Pt 2 away... I worked for the team at the time and had to listen to hundreds of fans call and complain about Ole.

I still think those people are insane...Ole was awesome. It was something different and it was performed by a NEW JERSEY BAND!!!!!

But sure, why not listen to the same old boring ass RR part 2, which, need I remind everyone, was performed by a pedofile.

Edited by britoon

You don't think "You suck" isn't generic? IT's lame, and I'd rather have our fans yell HEY!..seems normal to me.

And two, you don't think the Devils fans in general sit there ALL GAME LONG and do nothing. No Marty, Mar-tin, insert player name here chant...or even taunting the other goalie. Jeez, we aren't exactly a vocal base.

I personally don't mid the You Suck chants. Yes, it's classless, but quite honestly, I hear worse in the Bleachers at Yankee Stadium. I also love that they bought back RnR part II over that deadful techno song they were using a couple years back. No one got excited over that song. I was in favor of using Blur's Song 2 as a goal song, but I was in the minority over that one.

My only issue is the Whistle followed by Rangers Suck then a anti-gay remark toward the player in question (usually Jagar, who hasn't even played in the NHL in 2 seasons)when, like the previous post mentioned, they are playing Calgary. There was even a dude wearing a Rangers t shirt at the game with his little girl and this fan (a college kid) started shouting obsenities at him. See, this is why we get a bad rap as bad fans. I know the guy was asking for it by wearing a Rags shirt to a Devils/Ducks game, but come on. The guy was with his child. The little girl started to cry and I felt bad. The dude and his buddies were just really tearing into him and the poor guy had to leave with his girl sobbing. That was just wrong. That was classless. Do we as fans hate the Rangers that much that we have to insult a little girl just cause her dad's stupid enough to wear a rags shirt to a game? Direct the hate toward the sweaters and know when it's appropriate to chant.

I personally don't mid the You Suck chants. Yes, it's classless, but quite honestly, I hear worse in the Bleachers at Yankee Stadium. I also love that they bought back RnR part II over that deadful techno song they were using a couple years back. No one got excited over that song. I was in favor of using Blur's Song 2 as a goal song, but I was in the minority over that one.

My only issue is the Whistle followed by Rangers Suck then a anti-gay remark toward the player in question (usually Jagar, who hasn't even played in the NHL in 2 seasons)when, like the previous post mentioned, they are playing Calgary. There was even a dude wearing a Rangers t shirt at the game with his little girl and this fan (a college kid) started shouting obsenities at him. See, this is why we get a bad rap as bad fans. I know the guy was asking for it by wearing a Rags shirt to a Devils/Ducks game, but come on. The guy was with his child. The little girl started to cry and I felt bad. The dude and his buddies were just really tearing into him and the poor guy had to leave with his girl sobbing. That was just wrong. That was classless. Do we as fans hate the Rangers that much that we have to insult a little girl just cause her dad's stupid enough to wear a rags shirt to a game? Direct the hate toward the sweaters and know when it's appropriate to chant.

+ 1 to all this

It could be worse, like Tri and some others pointed out, the Predators fans have been doing this for quite some time.

But the worst part is the rest of the chant Preds fans do after the "You suck" part:

Hey! You Suck!

Hey! You Suck!

Hey! You Suck!

We're gonna beat the hell out of you...you...you...you-you-you!

And an amended version at the end of the game when they win:

We just beat the hell out of you...you...you...you-you-you!

Oy vey.

I personally don't use the "You Suck" when celebrating, but I'm certainly not going to let other people saying it ruin my enjoyment of the goal. Just like I hate smokers, but I'm not going to let the fact that someone smokes near me ruin my day. People are always going to do things that you don't agree with. In my opinion, letting it get to you is neither smart nor healthy. There's enough stress in life... how the guy next to you celebrates a goal should be at the bottom of the list of worries in today's world.

The team itself does not feel the need to insult the other team while celebrating. It's actually quite the opposite, for the most part the players have a very high respect for their opponent (with obvious exceptions when it comes to Brodeur/Avery). I don't understand why your seat neighbor saying "You Suck" after a goal should have any effect on your ability or willingness to root for the team.

Because being a fan of a team is part of a collective experience. And when I look around and see fans saying "you suck" I think "I don't want to be part of the same fanbase as these guys" and I find it embarassing. It reflects badly on the label of "Devil Fan" that I have chosen to wear.

i like both. sorry but there's nothing "classless" about it, PLUS who said you have to have "class" at a sporting event? I'm also sick of people having to walk on eggshells because the people in front of them brought their kids. if you bring your kids, you're going to have to plan on hearing some vulgarity. I can see if someone is going out of their way to be a total s**thead at a game, like a rangers fan during the national anthem, or just totally harassing other people in their section but this falls under the "who cares, it's part of the game" category. It's like next people will push harder to give suspensions for players who start fights cause it's violent and kids in the stands will get a message that it's ok to start fights in youth games. with all the crap we get for being one of the least involved fans in the league we should dish out all the smack we get from everyone else and then some. nice guys finish last

i like both. sorry but there's nothing "classless" about it, PLUS who said you have to have "class" at a sporting event? I'm also sick of people having to walk on eggshells because the people in front of them brought their kids. if you bring your kids, you're going to have to plan on hearing some vulgarity. I can see if someone is going out of their way to be a total s**thead at a game, like a rangers fan during the national anthem, or just totally harassing other people in their section but this falls under the "who cares, it's part of the game" category. It's like next people will push harder to give suspensions for players who start fights cause it's violent and kids in the stands will get a message that it's ok to start fights in youth games. with all the crap we get for being one of the least involved fans in the league we should dish out all the smack we get from everyone else and then some. nice guys finish last

you probably think the a-hole chant is classy too

there is something classless about it, and some of the stuff shouted at a game is just beyond indecent (or witty). does it ruin my experience of going to a game? absolutely not, but it's not exactly a positive either.

Edited by Triumph

It could be worse, like Tri and some others pointed out, the Predators fans have been doing this for quite some time.

But the worst part is the rest of the chant Preds fans do after the "You suck" part:

Hey! You Suck!

Hey! You Suck!

Hey! You Suck!

We're gonna beat the hell out of you...you...you...you-you-you!

And an amended version at the end of the game when they win:

We just beat the hell out of you...you...you...you-you-you!

Oy vey.

Sounds like a college crowd, actually.

Hollowing "Rangers Suck" when it is a different team in the barn than the Rangers is stupid. It just confirms how bad Devils at game fans are. It is an embarrassment to the Devils organization and the NHL. This is not a winning strategy for the Devils. Freedom of Speech, yes; what you want to say shows how smart you are.

you probably think the a-hole chant is classy too

there is something classless about it, and some of the stuff shouted at a game is just beyond indecent (or witty). does it ruin my experience of going to a game? absolutely not, but it's not exactly a positive either.

never said anything was classy or not. also didn't say you needed to be classy at a sporting event. and yes, when some jerk gets thrown out by security for starting a fight, he deserves the a-hole cheer.