NHL makes horrible no-goal call in Det-Dal game 11/18

Cowutopia

I'll be looking for a video of this asap.

Basically, Brad May on Detroit took a backhand shot that went directly into the net but it was tight to the inside. The near ref didn't see the puck inside the net from his angle, it was partially obscured by Auld's pad, but replay shows the puck is CLEARLY in the net.

A few seconds pass with the puck sitting in the net, and the ref blows the whistle and signals no goal, as he still hasn't seen the puck in the net, at which point Auld stands up and sticks the puck out of his net.

There is a big argument and a long delay as the Refs and Linesmen confer, and then begin to argue with the Detroit bench.

Toronto calls in and I don't know what was said, but in the end the refs call it a no-goal. I don't know the grounds on this one. Perhaps there was inconclusive evidence to overturn the ATROCIOUS call on the ice of no goal? You can't see the entire puck but you can see enough and the position to know that it's completely in. I mean, there is absolutely no doubt that this puck is in the net, but the Ref never saw it in and blew the play dead without ever signaling goal.

NHL's gonna be eating crow over this one for a long time. Almost as bad as the through-the-side-of-the-net-goal.

I'll still never get over Toronto deciding they "knew" where the puck was under Marty, I think against Philly, when they couldn't see it when everything before and after said that Toronto should never rule on where they "know" a puck is unless it can be definitively proven that the only possible locations for the puck are in the net, which in that case it obviously wasn't.

Reading about this on HF people are saying the ref said the play was dead before the puck went in. It is true that a play is dead before we hear the whistle blow, it's dead as soon as the ref decides the play is over, not when he actually blows the whistle. It may have been a bad whistle or decision for the play to be dead but it happens in a good and bad way to teams a few times every season.

So I guess, according to them the issue isn't if the puck was in or not, it's when the ref decided he thought the play was dead. I'll have to wait for video before having any sort of opinion of my own.

I did not hear a whistle before the puck went in. In fact, on the replay, you can hear the whistle blow several seconds after the puck goes in.

It may be a case of a ref blowing a whistle that NOBODY HEARD, early, but I just don't buy that at all.

The thing is though, the ref blew the play dead without calling a goal, and I guess Toronto couldn't overturn it? At the point the whistle was blown, the puck had been sitting in the net for several seconds. It clearly is a goal, as long as there are no other whistles I am unaware of.

Edit: There's the video, now you can all really talk about it with me.

Edited by Cowutopia

Zubrus scored a goal like this a couple of years ago against Boston, that next to no one in the rink realized was a goal. including Zubrus. I don't remember if there was even a review, but it was considered a no goal. same kind of thing, puck inside the apron just inside the goalline, you had to have a good angle to see it live (like this one, I couldn't see until the replay).

meh, i don't care if detroit gets screwed. clearly a poor call and it demonstrates an almost-necessary flaw with the system they have in place. the ref can't see the play again, and it's on his authority that it's ruled a goal or no goal based on him 'intending to whistle'. he didn't see the puck go in, he has no idea when the puck goes in, he has to rely on someone else telling him when the puck went in - i.e. his memory of the play is totally not what happened, and between the linesmen, the ref, and the war room it's going to end up like rashomon.

they're going to miss some like this, but on the whole i think it's better than the NFL's system.

Edited by Triumph

I did not hear a whistle before the puck went in. In fact, on the replay, you can hear the whistle blow several seconds after the puck goes in.

Ya, what I'm saying is it doesn't matter when the whistle is actually blown, it's when the ref decides to blow the whistle that the play ends, which is always before when the actual whistle blows.

I would say in this case it seems hard to believe that he thought to blow the whistle before the puck was in the net.

I'm still going to think most teams will have 2 or 3 both go their way and go against them over the course of the year.

That's a pathetic call. No way that puck was frozen before it went in the net.

well, right, you're 100% right, and i hate to turn this into an epistemological debate, but here we are:

say you witness something, and you give an account of it to someone who also witnesses something. say that other witness has been able to witness it again. all that witness can tell you is, 'you witnessed something incorrectly.' well, now what? what could i have seen that was wrong? my seeing of it was wrong - so how can i figure out what was wrong with that seeing - i.e. left with only the same wrong information i've already got, how can i determine what is correct?

detroit fans can handle it, there's been more than enough fiascos on their ice.

Detroit fans weren't upset when Madden had a goal waived off against them for kicking when he never moved his skate or boot. It happens.

I mean heck, the Devils have a playoff goal that was in the net not count, and that was barely a story after a few days to anyone who wasn't a Devils fan or as a joke.

Funny I was talking about this kinda stuff with a friend while I saved her laptop from oblivion....

Seems to be a common thing in all sports now... "the refs are getting worse and worse".... and the more I think about it... the more I disagree, not that it is the case here (this is an example of the time between the ref wanting to kill the play dead and getting the whistle to his mouth, though in this case why was there not a referee behind the net this time?

Here's why I think people THINK the officiating is worse:

1. HDTV, now we get to see EVERYTHING, with perfect quality and slow motion too......we can now count the steroid injections on Dave Batista because the TV quality is that good... it's not 1980 where you got a rabbit ears TV and are happy to see the players on your screen

2. Replays/Sportscenter... any idiot can "make the right call" in slow motion 12 hours after the play....doing it LIVE on the go with no help... not so easy....

3. Fans are smarter now and more into the rules and what is or isn't... also a feature of one and two

Just my $1.50 cause two cents ain't enough :P

Funny I was talking about this kinda stuff with a friend while I saved her laptop from oblivion....

Seems to be a common thing in all sports now... "the refs are getting worse and worse".... and the more I think about it... the more I disagree, not that it is the case here (this is an example of the time between the ref wanting to kill the play dead and getting the whistle to his mouth, though in this case why was there not a referee behind the net this time?

Here's why I think people THINK the officiating is worse:

1. HDTV, now we get to see EVERYTHING, with perfect quality and slow motion too......we can now count the steroid injections on Dave Batista because the TV quality is that good... it's not 1980 where you got a rabbit ears TV and are happy to see the players on your screen

2. Replays/Sportscenter... any idiot can "make the right call" in slow motion 12 hours after the play....doing it LIVE on the go with no help... not so easy....

3. Fans are smarter now and more into the rules and what is or isn't... also a feature of one and two

Just my $1.50 cause two cents ain't enough :P

A very VALID point!

and with the price of inflation over the years, you're right 2 cents isnt enough.

What I hate is that the NHL cant use common sense. Ok, the ref's missed it but we have instant replay and we have the sound to go along with it. "intent to blow the whistle" has to have a statue of limitations on it, maybe 1-2 seconds max so that if you look back at something like this you can clearly say "goal".

More over just look at the play. There is no reason to blow the play dead before the puck has clearly crossed the line, there was no infraction pending as that wasn't called after the play and the goalie obviously didn't have the puck. I think the replay officials need more flexibility to make the right call, they should be allowed to overturn "intent" when it's obvious there is none. There's always going to be a gray area and we can argue where that line should be, but this is not one of those situations.

Edited by squishyx

"intent to blow the whistle" is their easy out, and a mechanism to have the on ice officials have the final say and not the folks in Toronto. I think the ref screwed up and due to this mechanism Toronto was unable to overturn the ref's screwup.

Gotta say though, I see worse screw ups in Trenton every game; the players aren't the only thing that's minor league. I find I complain less about the NHL officiating now.