The Andrew Peters Experiment Needs to End

GOLDJR41

Forgive me for my insomnia but I just moved back to the east coast from Colorado so I'm still adjusting to the time difference. The time change, along with Andrew Peters's continued warming of the Devils' bench, has forced me to start this topic.

When has a player who was 100% healthy ever contributed to a team when getting 1:32 of ice time in an NHL game? Why even dress a player if you are only going to give him 1:32 seconds of ice time. That is the same amount of time as a Bantam hockey penalty. Andrew Peters served a Bantam hockey penalty on an NHL sheet of ice tonight in a game that was lost.

This all being said: Andrew Peters is a waste of space, both on the bench and on the cap. Having PL3 already on your team and playing in NHL games last season, along with having fighters in Clarkson, Fraser, Salvador etc. on the ice already...what's the point of Andrew Peters? He brings no offense, which is fine considering his "enforcer" title, but where's the enforcing? You can't enforce a game if you only get a Bantam penalty of ice time. Granted enforcers usually only get 3-6 minutes a game, but 1:32 isn't even justifiable.

Now I love fighting, and I love players that fight and can bring a spark to the team. Call me a Janssen lover, but what Cam did wearing #25 in a Devils jersey and what Andrew Peters is doing wearing that same sweater isn't even fair. Cam brought energy in hits and pestering, along with dropping the mitts and even netting that oh so glorious goal in our 4-1 lose to the Capitals. Peters brings none of this. He's not young, he's got zero energy, and he can barely stand on skates. Give me PL3, give me Pelley, give me CORRENTE. Corrente got over 9 minutes of ice time tonight as a rookie DEFENSEMAN in his FIRST EVER NHL GAME....playing wing.

Pelley is angry for being scratched tonight, and watched the game from the press box high above the A/A. When the buzzer sounded to end the game and he turned to PL3 in that booth, how can you not blame them to be pondering whether or not Lemaire has taken his dementia medication.

I agree with your assessment of peters. But that doesn't necessarily mena pl3 would play more minutes. Apparently he doesn't have very much confidence in eckford as well (all though eckford assisted on a goal). Right now pl3 should go to lowell for conditioning.

pl3 actually has more speed & skills. if it's a one goal game, there won't be any scraps. it's only when your team is down 2-3 goals that you need a boost.

think about it how many teams have dropped the goon on 4th lines?? quite a few. 1:32 is a waste of roster spot.

I wish we could have gotten Sal and kept Cam at the same time.

That trade was unbelievable for us, so we can't ever knock the lose of Cam. Salvy straight up for Janssen is unprecedented. If we could get the best Bantam player in the country right now for Peters I would pull the trigger NQA.

I have no idea why Lou signed Peters. I only see the need for one enforcer on the team and I think Leblond fills that role fine - hell at least Leblond can skate, Peters is atrocious to watch trying to move around out there. I don't even think Asham frustrated me as much as Peters is.

lol i forgot we had Asham

I have no idea why Lou signed Peters. I only see the need for one enforcer on the team and I think Leblond fills that role fine - hell at least Leblond can skate, Peters is atrocious to watch trying to move around out there. I don't even think Asham frustrated me as much as Peters is.

asham atleast scored once in awhile.

Just got back from my alma mater's high school hockey game; saw about 16-18 players I would take over Peters.

no, you didn't, but that's okay.

peters is obviously a net loss on the ice, that's basically a given. it does amuse me that this comes out A: after the devils are on a three game losing streak and B: that leblond's decided lack of fighting majors gets nary a mention.

peters is a good locker room guy who knows his role on the team - which role will cost the devils probably 4 or 5 goals over the season. frankly it's leblond that appears to be the one that doesn't belong at this juncture.

It was sarcasm on his part. Lighten up.

peters is obviously a net loss on the ice, that's basically a given. it does amuse me that this comes out A: after the devils are on a three game losing streak and B: that leblond's decided lack of fighting majors gets nary a mention.

People here have been calling Peters useless since the day he first stepped foot on the ice as a Devil. The losing streak has nothing to do with it.

Did you ever think that for Leblond to fight, he needs a willing partner and to pick his spots when to fight? Or would you like him to grab the first opposing player who skates by him?

peters is a good locker room guy who knows his role on the team - which role will cost the devils probably 4 or 5 goals over the season. frankly it's leblond that appears to be the one that doesn't belong at this juncture.

If you're using Peters belonging on this team because he's a good locker room guy, you're going to find yourself in the very, very select few who think that's enough to keep him here.

Edited by SJP20

Thanks Tri, I mean of course I obviously didn't see a high school hockey player from the Metro area who I would want on an NHL team, it's just meant to add to the severity of the problem I believe the Devils are facing (or not choosing to face) with Peters.

Three game losing streak or not, this has nothing to do with how well the Devils are playing. 1:32 of ice time is the FOCAL point here. You can't deny how disgustingly low that time is, and how a rookie defenseman played about 6 times as much in his first ever NHL game out of position.

Locker room guy? Sure, great, grand, wonderful! Langs, White, Brodeur, Elias, Rolston, Nieds, Mottau, Salvador...how many locker room guys do you need? Give me an ON THE ICE guy, because the locker room is very well spoken for I do believe. If this were Atlanta then yeah, "locker room guy" it up, but it's New Jersey, our tradition and veteran prescene speaks for itself.

PL3 > Peters. Why is PL3 not playing? I can't answer that, but I can present game tape after game tape (or bench tape after bench tape) that shows you why Peters shouldn't be. I'll be there Wednesday night and with the amount of time I spend cheering up out of my seat, I'll get a better workout then Peters does if he dresses.

pl3 is barely better than andrew peters, and andrew peters is barely worse than cam janssen. you are comparing three players whose value is insanely minimal. neither player should or can or will take a regular shift in their NHL careers. peters stopped taking shifts because the devils went down early and at that point playing andrew peters is useless. by the time the devils got back into the game, it was the 3rd period and peters had been sitting on the bench the whole time. comparing peters to corrente is silliness, they were fulfilling different roles.

i'm not saying i think peters belongs or doesn't belong here, but i'm trying to understand the thought process for having him here. there is obviously a reason why he's here, and why he's continually dressed. the devils offered a contract to wade brookbank this off-season as well.

career ice time/game for these three players:

leblond: 5:03

janssen: 4:52

peters: 3:49

and just for fun, sog/g:

peters: .38

leblond: .33

janssen: .32

Edited by Triumph

peters is terrible. he makes the 4th line even more pointless than it is.

his comparison to leblond and janssen doesn't really go to the OP's point that he isn't filling a role.

the devils are in tough shape for offense beyond parise/zajac and a surprisingly decent PP. the 4th line is such a negative I honestly can't stand it.

i understand that the injuries have a lot to do with this and hopefully the 4th line ends up pandolfo-neidermayer-mccamond so it doesn't matter but i can't even understand it - i don't know what lou was thinking with giving this guy 2 years but whatever.

I'm trying to find out who Steve Bartlett's clients are on the Devils, past or present. I don't know if Lou owed him a favour or is helping out one of Bartlett's clients in return for something in the future. It did seem a little weird when Peters got here. All the quotes he had pointed to him knowing that if he just showed and played the part, he would be signed. We didn't even see Peters in camp very often. Granted you know what you're getting with an enforcer.

And I could be way off base here. Just throwing something out there.

peters is terrible. he makes the 4th line even more pointless than it is.

his comparison to leblond and janssen doesn't really go to the OP's point that he isn't filling a role.

the devils are in tough shape for offense beyond parise/zajac and a surprisingly decent PP. the 4th line is such a negative I honestly can't stand it.

i understand that the injuries have a lot to do with this and hopefully the 4th line ends up pandolfo-neidermayer-mccamond so it doesn't matter but i can't even understand it - i don't know what lou was thinking with giving this guy 2 years but whatever.

I agree with you here Sundstrom. I would also like to see the 4th line be Pandolfo - Niedermayer - McAmmond when healthy That line may actually produce on the score sheet unlike the 4th line that is out there now.

pl3 is barely better than andrew peters, and andrew peters is barely worse than cam janssen. you are comparing three players whose value is insanely minimal. neither player should or can or will take a regular shift in their NHL careers. peters stopped taking shifts because the devils went down early and at that point playing andrew peters is useless. by the time the devils got back into the game, it was the 3rd period and peters had been sitting on the bench the whole time. comparing peters to corrente is silliness, they were fulfilling different roles.

i'm not saying i think peters belongs or doesn't belong here, but i'm trying to understand the thought process for having him here. there is obviously a reason why he's here, and why he's continually dressed. the devils offered a contract to wade brookbank this off-season as well.

career ice time/game for these three players:

leblond: 5:03

janssen: 4:52

peters: 3:49

and just for fun, sog/g:

peters: .38

leblond: .33

janssen: .32

The numbers are nice and all, but people are judging Peters by what they see on the ice. Peters is slow and seems uninterested in physical contact. I'm sure he's a great locker room guy and from interviews he seems like a real cool guy overall, but atleast Leblond and Janssen had a little bit of speed and enthusiasm. I mean, Cam would hit anything that moved when he was on the ice for his 3 minutes a game, and he would fight anyone. I was hoping we'd get to see a little more out of Leblond this year, especially once Rupp left. My only guess was that Peters was added to give Jersey a true heavyweight fighter to deal with the Rangers signing Brashear, plus the Pens having Rupp and Goddard and Philly's parade of goons.

I'm a big fan of the old school fighters, so I'm definitely going to continue to give Peters a chance to win me over. It just doesn't make sense right now.

Just to throw my two cents in here, I'd much rather see Andrew Peters waste 4 minutes on the ice, than a younger player (Corrente, PL3, etc) waste 6 minutes when they could be getting 12 to 15 in Lowell. Sure Peters is a waste of space, but he's such an insignificant part of the team, does it really matter? Whether it's Peters or some other shlub, you need to insert somebody in there. At least he can make and receive the occasional pass and give the better players a breather, which is all the 4th line, until players get healthy, can really be asked to do at this point.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I think the Rolston problem, last game aside, is much more pressing than Andrew Peter's three minutes of ice time.

The numbers are nice and all, but people are judging Peters by what they see on the ice. Peters is slow and seems uninterested in physical contact. I'm sure he's a great locker room guy and from interviews he seems like a real cool guy overall, but atleast Leblond and Janssen had a little bit of speed and enthusiasm. I mean, Cam would hit anything that moved when he was on the ice for his 3 minutes a game, and he would fight anyone. I was hoping we'd get to see a little more out of Leblond this year, especially once Rupp left. My only guess was that Peters was added to give Jersey a true heavyweight fighter to deal with the Rangers signing Brashear, plus the Pens having Rupp and Goddard and Philly's parade of goons.

I'm a big fan of the old school fighters, so I'm definitely going to continue to give Peters a chance to win me over. It just doesn't make sense right now.

and Cam would get himself out of position all the time as well. I've seen Peters throw plenty of hits. Had Peters come up in the Devils' system, I imagine there'd be way more sympathy for him.

sundstrom: yeah, there is no offense there. still, a fighter is going to play on this team in the regular season.