Andrew Peters: Worst Player In The NHL

RowdyFan42

77 members have voted

1. 1. Is Peters really the worst regular in the NHL?

• Yes
    • No

Saw this on Puck Daddy:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/psh/comments/new_worst_regular_this_season/

A blogger on Kukla's Korner has stipulated that Andrew Peters is the worst player taking a regular shift in the NHL. Given this board's penchant for flying into a fury whenever anyone dares criticize anything related to the red and black, I figured this would be good for some flaming... and given the hatred for Peters in some circles, I figured there'd also be some agreement. Everyone else, pull up a chair, grab some :e-drama: , and have fun!

And I quote "Andrew Peters skates worse then my seven old, but he has an excuse he only started taking lessons 4 months ago"

I'd say Colton Orr is as useless off the top of my head too though

I know these things can be a crapshoot, but what's even more amazing is that Peters was selected 34th overall in the 1998 draft. Mike Rupp was selected ninth. Gomez was taken 30th.

Brian Gionta was selected 82nd, Trent Hunter was taken 150th and Pavel Datsyuk was selected 171st in that same draft.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I know these things can be a crapshoot, but what's even more amazing is that Peters was selected 34th overall in the 1998 draft. Mike Rupp was selected ninth. Gomez was taken 30th.

Brian Gionta was selected 82nd, Trent Hunter was taken 150th and Pavel Datsyuk was selected 171st in that same draft.

great post...thanks

Come on, laugh a little.

Overall I think people are too harsh on Rollie. He has been a disappointment overall since we signed him, but come on, he is not as bad as this board makes him out to be. How many 4 point games have there been by Devils in the past couple of years? Not too many...the guy is in the twilight of his career trying to bring some offensive production/veteran leadership to a team looking to make another Cup run....plus, he is a 95' guy...have some respect.... :evilcry:

I just came to a realization and I thought I'd share it with you guys. This season I've had some time to go back and look through all the old drafts, just for fun. One thing that always confused me is that Mike Rupp appeared twice - once where you mentioned, 9th in the 1998 draft, and then again, in 2000, this time in the third round, 76th overall. I thought perhaps there was another guy Mike Rupp who didn't make the NHL or something. I just found out that he actually was drafted twice, the first time he just wasn't signed, so he did the draft again. I didn't even know this was possible.

If this is all really old news to everyone, forgive me. I just figured all of this out right now and it was one of those "Oh... now that makes sense" moments. :doh1:

There is absolutely no reason to have Peters in the lineup most nights or on this team in the first place. The only reason I can think of is that Lou owes a nice favour to Peters' agent, Steve Bartlett.

or that many teams play a player of dubious skill level who can, when called upon, fight? arguing whether peters is the worst - yeah, he might be, but to the tune of 1 or 2 goals a season.

kyle chipchura might be in the running for worst player so far as well

Edited by Triumph

or that many teams play a player of dubious skill level who can, when called upon, fight? arguing whether peters is the worst - yeah, he might be, but to the tune of 1 or 2 goals a season.

Exactly. Peters may not be very "skilled"... but he serves his purpose. I wouldn't consider him the "worst in the NHL" because of that. He does what's asked of him reasonably well - go out, throw a couple hits, fight if necessary. He could be better defensively but the -5 also is not entirely pitted on him - its his line. I would think that the "worst NHLer" would be somebody who is failing at doing the job asked of them - like a scorer with no points or something like that. There are a bunch of skill-less fighters in the NHL, who's to say Peters is worse than any of the other goons? They're out there to fight, not score.

EDIT: Oh and good call on Chipchura - 19 games, 0 points, -10? Definitely worse than Peters.

Edited by iamtheprodigy

My reason for Peters being on the team is the favour. It never made sense that Lou brought in Peters, especially after he talked about letting the kids play and giving a sh!t to PL3. And don't tell me the 4-5 minutes Peters gets is an upgrade over whatever PL3 would do.

The reason why he plays most nights...I don't know. Some teams do play with a "goon" but most teams use more skilled guys who can drop the gloves. We didn't need Peters for Tanner Glass last night. We didn't need him because of Tim Jackman. We didn't need him for Shawn Thorton or Matt Carkner or Krys Barch or Jordin Tootoo.

I just came to a realization and I thought I'd share it with you guys. This season I've had some time to go back and look through all the old drafts, just for fun. One thing that always confused me is that Mike Rupp appeared twice - once where you mentioned, 9th in the 1998 draft, and then again, in 2000, this time in the third round, 76th overall. I thought perhaps there was another guy Mike Rupp who didn't make the NHL or something. I just found out that he actually was drafted twice, the first time he just wasn't signed, so he did the draft again. I didn't even know this was possible.

If this is all really old news to everyone, forgive me. I just figured all of this out right now and it was one of those "Oh... now that makes sense" moments. :doh1:

If a player doesn't sign within two years of being drafted, the team that drafted him loses his rights, and he can re-enter.

This happened with Pierre Dagenais as well...he was drafted by the Devils in both the 1996 NHL Entry Draft (round 2, #47 overall) and the 1998 NHL Entry Draft (round 4, #105 overall). I'm sure this has happened with other players...I just don't know many.

My reason for Peters being on the team is the favour. It never made sense that Lou brought in Peters, especially after he talked about letting the kids play and giving a sh!t to PL3. And don't tell me the 4-5 minutes Peters gets is an upgrade over whatever PL3 would do.

and why is lemaire playing him - a furthering of that favor? it doesn't add up. lemaire likes to have a fighter, the devils have always had one when he was the coach, from peluso to simpson to oliwa to daniels. the devils were going to sign wade brookbank, it was revealed by sheldon brookbank when anaheim played new jersey.

The reason why he plays most nights...I don't know. Some teams do play with a "goon" but most teams use more skilled guys who can drop the gloves. We didn't need Peters for Tanner Glass last night. We didn't need him because of Tim Jackman. We didn't need him for Shawn Thorton or Matt Carkner or Krys Barch or Jordin Tootoo.

most teams do not use someone significantly more skilled, and krys barch and shawn thornton aren't significantly more skilled. if i were going to dress peters against other fighters, i'd dress him against carkner, barch, and thornton for sure.

I dunno...I think Pelley is a close second to Peters. But once DiPietro returns, i think he will take over the title of worst player in the league haha :lol:

Like I stated before, Peters and Pikkarainen both suck, I would take Pelley over both of them.