Nicklas Bergfors is AWESOME

Revan

Really... didn't even realize he was SECOND among rookies in scoring until today! When was the last time a Devil could seriously be considered a Calder candidate? At least at this point of the season, that is. The guy has played in all 28 Devils games and he already has 19 points. Parise scored 32 points in his entire rookie season. Trav had about 40. Unless Bergfors' game suddenly wears down, he should be able to get more points than these guys did in their rookie years and they are considered our best young guns. How awesome is that?

Ok, I know it's nothing new guys, I just felt Nicklas kinda deserved more attention here. Can't see any threads about him right now!

I hade been waiting for him to get his shot, because i thought he would be an effective player for the Devils given the right line and enough ice time, when it came to light that Gio wasnt going to be resigned i was hoping Nic would get his chance.

What is also pretty promising is that Josefson and Tedenby are better players than Bergfors was at the same stage in their development so it looks good going forward.

I hade been waiting for him to get his shot, because i thought he would be an effective player for the Devils given the right line and enough ice time, when it came to light that Gio wasnt going to be resigned i was hoping Nic would get his chance.

What is also pretty promising is that Josefson and Tedenby are better players than Bergfors was at the same stage in their development so it looks good going forward.

That comment isn't fact, Bergfors at 17 was playing in the SEL during the lockout, to even make a team that year was simply amazing. On top of that he led his AHL team in points as an 18 year old and led Sweden in points at the WJC as an 18 year old.

You really didn't have to hope that much. With Gio's goal totals on the decline and Niclas coming off his best year in the AHL, it was pretty obvious that Bergfors was coming to camp with a job to lose. He would've had to have fallen flat on his face not to make the team this year. Overall he's done quite well for a rookie, and I think Lemaire has handled him perfectly.

Bergfors had been given a shot previously (two seasons ago, when he made the team out of preseason), though that was more due to injuries to other players more than anything else...it's unfortunate that he then got injured in the opening game. I don't even count last season, as his ice time was minimal.

That comment isn't fact, Bergfors at 17 was playing in the SEL during the lockout, to even make a team that year was simply amazing. On top of that he led his AHL team in points as an 18 year old and led Sweden in points at the WJC as an 18 year old.

No, it was an oppinion.

Josefson and Tedenby have been close to point per game players in the all the WJC's they have competed in, and having watched most of the WJC's that was my overall feeling. And at the same age both put up far better numbers than Bergfors in the swedish juniors (Josefson got his first start in the Junior u18's at 14).

Also i was mainly refering to the years that they were drafted by the Devils. An having watched all the players at that stage of their development i feel that Josefson is by far the most complete player out of the 3 when he was drafted.

Neither Bergfors or Tedenby when they were drafted particualy excelled in their own end, Bergfors probably had a slight edge because his work along the boards, but Tedenby's abillity in the other teams zone was far greater than Bergfors,which i think gives him the edge.

You really didn't have to hope that much. With Gio's goal totals on the decline and Niclas coming off his best year in the AHL, it was pretty obvious that Bergfors was coming to camp with a job to lose. He would've had to have fallen flat on his face not to make the team this year. Overall he's done quite well for a rookie, and I think Lemaire has handled him perfectly.

Bergfors had been given a shot previously (two seasons ago, when he made the team out of preseason), though that was more due to injuries to other players more than anything else...it's unfortunate that he then got injured in the opening game. I don't even count last season, as his ice time was minimal.

It was more concern that he physically wouldnt be able to stand up to the level of play in the NHL and that if he did pick up a knock he would get a second chance to play. I agree that Lemaire has been fantastic with Nic and has made sure he is mentaly in the right place.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

I think everyone can agree that the "kids" have been a pleasant surprise and certainly change the long term perspective of the devils. I don't know if it's the change in coaches or just the injuries but it seems like all the rooks are getting a fair shake and long term that helps Lou. Overall it really improves contract negotiations when you have chips in the farm system to work with.

The big difference between Bergfors and Zajac/Parise's rookie seasons is that Bergfors has gotten consistent minutes, has been able to play with excellent linemates and has gotten a ton of PP time. I am thrilled with his production but those factors have definitely helped him out.

I hate to be a naysayer but I thin he's been a little lucky so far.

His goal count is better than his play.

I'll take it, however.

Lucky how? I can actually think of a few opportunities he had in which he didn't score which were incredibly UNLUCKY. His shot percentage is 12.3%. I think that's pretty standard. We're not talking about a Michael Del Zotto here who started the season with something like a 25% shot percentage.

3 minutes a night and working more on the exercise bike then in NHL situations is hardly "being given a shot"

The kid is doing wonderful (and personally you make your own luck being in the right place at the right time sometimes) and a lot of that has to go with how the coaching staff is using him and making the most with what he brings to the table!

I hate to be a naysayer but I thin he's been a little lucky so far.

His goal count is better than his play.

I'll take it, however.

Negative Nancy - to the rescue! :doh1:

Seriously though, I disagree on the luck thing. He works hard and he's scored some really pretty goals. Sure, he's had the puck bounce to him in good places a few times, but he deserves credit for good positioning and for finishing. I really like how he reliably buries the best opportunities he gets, especially in front of the net. And he always seems to hit the net with his shots, few of which are right into the goalie's gut. A couple of his goals have come from fortunate bounces, but that doesn't mean they're lucky. He's deserved them.

Some of you guys are such sheep and baa at everything this organization says. Jacques has been hard on Bergfors because he has super potential and he is not reaching it, not because he has been playing poorly. He's just not used his full nutsack at all times. You see glimpses but the consistency isn't there yet. But, the kid hasn't played bad. There is a difference between playing bad and not playing up to your ability. You want pick on a player that is playing bad, look at Colin White. White plays with all he has but he's just not a very good player. I've seen this dude get burned more and more as the season has progressed. The Devils would be wise to pawn him off on someone if they get the opportunity.

Edited by capo

Bergfors has a nose for the net unlike I've seen in any Devils rookie I can remember in the recent years (the Marty era). Even moreso than Parise, who began as a sort of offensive Swiss-army knife, it seems like Bergfors is specifically cut out to score goals. I love his moves inside the slot and on the rush. Hopefully, he just keeps getting better.

Adding Tedenby and Josefson in the next few years is just an added bonus.

Negative Nancy - to the rescue! :doh1:

Seriously though, I disagree on the luck thing. He works hard and he's scored some really pretty goals. Sure, he's had the puck bounce to him in good places a few times, but he deserves credit for good positioning and for finishing. I really like how he reliably buries the best opportunities he gets, especially in front of the net. And he always seems to hit the net with his shots, few of which are right into the goalie's gut. A couple of his goals have come from fortunate bounces, but that doesn't mean they're lucky. He's deserved them.

His goal count has been better than his play. I stand by that.

Saying he has good puck luck is not negative.

I was responding to him being awesome, which he has not been.

I was responding to him being awesome, which he has not been.

I couldn't disagree with you more. Yea, he's playing with Parise and Zajac, but he has looked comfortable with the puck and he often makes veteran-like moves. There is not much else you could ask from a rookie, except maybe to play a little better defensively and to learn to get off the puck sometimes. Otherwise, for a first year player, he's playing extremely well.

Edited by Amberite

Hows Tedenby been? still langusihing on his reserve squad, or was it the senior squad's 4th line?

Hows Tedenby been? still langusihing on his reserve squad, or was it the senior squad's 4th line?

He was out for a short period with an injury, he is basically being wasted in HV. on the third or 4th line with about 9 minutes at most a game.

His numbers are still pretty decent but obviously I don't get to see him play.

26 GP 2 G 5 A 22 PIM 9:41 TOI +2

Those penalty minutes are pretty high assuming they're all minors. That would annoy me as a coach.

For a comparison Kris Beech is playing on HV71 as well and he's put up the same numbers with 86 more minutes in ice time(and I'm assuming better linemates because of more ice time per game)

Josefson is doing pretty well too.

23 GP 3 G 6 A 14 PIM 15:33 TOI +4

Both guys are on teams doing pretty well. HV71 leads the league with +30 goal differential and DIF is third with +10. There are only 4 teams out of 12 that have a positive goal differential.

he didn't lead his AHL team in points; alex suglobov did. don't forget his 2 years in purgatory after that. yeah, there's a certain type of player that won't play particularly hard in the minors, but eventually you've got to make your own way; luckily niclas found that out.

3 minutes a night and working more on the exercise bike then in NHL situations is hardly "being given a shot"

Re-read my post and you'll see that when I wrote he was "being given a shot" I was referring to his one-game stint when he made the team and was in the Opening Night lineup (2 seasons ago). As we know he got hurt in that one game and never got back up that season, so it's hard to say how much ice time he would have been given had he stayed up and shown any promise.

You'll also see that I said that Stint #2 (last season) didn't even really count because he wasn't given any real ice time. That's why I didn't make anything out of his numbers coming into this season...some fans had already decided he was a bust based on his (coming into this year) 9-game NHL total.