The Official Rangers Suck Thread

Triumph

on the rangers, he doesn't. it's either do that or play the corpse of chris drury or the corpse-like ales kotalik. can you imagine being the coach of the rangers? expansion team coaches have an easier time - at least those guys are fighting to keep a job.

26 minutes is insane, that's Bure minutes. at least bag skate the other losers so they know what it's like. although I got a feeling something more bizarre than that is on the way.

it could be worse for the Rangers, I guess. at least they can say they lost to Roloson. I was kinda hoping Biron played when I saw the score.

Zherdev? Gomez? Naslund? Mara? Betts? Dawes? Kalinin? Korpikorski? Prucha? Morris? Orr? Antropov? Sjostrom? Rismiller? Reitz?

I think those are the major ones.

Damn. That's a bigger list than I thought.

They really miss a guy like Zherdev, who can produce on the second line. The way they're playing Gaborik is downright scary. I can't even imagine what the team would be like if they had Ovechkin. If they keep this up and he's not injured by the Olympics I want to know what they did with the Gaborik that played in Minnesota.

Their defense is just fun to watch at this point.

Damn. That's a bigger list than I thought.

They really miss a guy like Zherdev, who can produce on the second line. The way they're playing Gaborik is downright scary. I can't even imagine what the team would be like if they had Ovechkin. If they keep this up and he's not injured by the Olympics I want to know what they did with the Gaborik that played in Minnesota.

Their defense is just fun to watch at this point.

Don't make a big deal out of Zherdev. He pretty much disappeared as the season went on, and was invisible in a lot of games. What does it tell you when no one took a chance on a 24-year-old (drafted 4th overall in 2003) who, despite his shortcomings, has shown occasional flashes?

I'm starting to wonder if Torts' act is starting to wear thin in that locker room. He comes across as a real blowhard in his postgame conferences...almost like a bad actor, playing the role of the foul-mouthed coach who doesn't take no guff from no one.

Anyway, they're now 7-16-3 in their last 26 games. The Hurricanes are 6-15-5. 17 points each. Outstanding.

I'm not putting much stock in this, but Boomer and Craig on the WFAN just reported that a source told them that Sather will lose his job if the Rangers lose tonight. I hope it doesn't happen...I'd love to see the Dolans continue to put misguided faith in a complete fvck-up like Sather.

Don't make a big deal out of Zherdev. He pretty much disappeared as the season went on, and was invisible in a lot of games. What does it tell you when no one took a chance on a 24-year-old (drafted 4th overall in 2003) who, despite his shortcomings, has shown occasional flashes?

I'm starting to wonder if Torts' act is starting to wear thin in that locker room. He comes across as a real blowhard in his postgame conferences...almost like a bad actor, playing the role of the foul-mouthed coach who doesn't take no guff from no one.

Anyway, they're now 7-16-3 in their last 26 games. The Hurricanes are 6-15-5. 17 points each. Outstanding.

I'm not putting much stock in this, but Boomer and Craig on the WFAN just reported that a source told them that Sather will lose his job if the Rangers lose tonight. I hope it doesn't happen...I'd love to see the Dolans continue to put misguided faith in a complete fvck-up like Sather.

At this point I think Torts is going to be on the hot seat as well. I know it's not really Tortorella's fault, but the loosing streak that caused Tom Renney to loose his job last year wasn't his fault either. In the end it's really nobodies fault. The team as a whole, other than maybe Hank and Maryann, are not playing the way they should. I can assure you though, if the rangers loose tonight again against the Islanders, "something" is going to happen. Whether that something is someone getting fired or not is something we will have to wait and see. All I know is I'll be watching tonight and cheering on the Iles!

Its funny I go back and forth about which team I hate more, Rags or Flyers.. I work in Trenton now, so there are alot of Philly fans there so my Flyer hatred is growing again, after having worked w/ rags fans for the last 3 years...

good day, devils win, or flyers lose or rags lose...

Great day all of the above...

BTW did I hear the stat right last night, Rags have scored 2 or fewer goals in 8 of last 10???

At this point I think Torts is going to be on the hot seat as well. I know it's not really Tortorella's fault, but the loosing streak that caused Tom Renney to loose his job last year wasn't his fault either. In the end it's really nobodies fault. The team as a whole, other than maybe Hank and Maryann, are not playing the way they should. I can assure you though, if the rangers loose tonight again against the Islanders, "something" is going to happen. Whether that something is someone getting fired or not is something we will have to wait and see. All I know is I'll be watching tonight and cheering on the Iles!

loose = not tight

lose = not winning

Sorry, but when I see people substituting "loose" for "lose" that makes me crazy.

As for who's at fault...Sather definitely deserves a lot of it, for assembling flawed roster after flawed roster, and for showing zilch in creativity department (oh, that guy is a big name...SIGN HIM UP!)...though he did somehow manage to dump Gomez's contract. Regarding the current roster, it's probably not as bad as this 7-16-3 stretch would lead you to believe, but looking at this group I guess it can't expected to be much better than a few games over .500 for the season. They've got some dreadful contracts (Drury, Redden, Rozsival), guys who've been erratic over the course of their careers (Prospal: career -60, Kotalik: career -37), and young guys who aren't there yet...we may have already seen a guy like Dubinsky's best.

I gotta think that if Sather is shown the door any time soon, Torts probably follows him. If anything, Torts hasn't shown me any ability to make adjustments or squeeze points out of his teams. Like Tri said, he doesn't exactly have the easiest job either...his roster is loaded with fat cats who are getting big paychecks no matter how little they produce.

BTW did I hear the stat right last night, Rags have scored 2 or fewer goals in 8 of last 10???

Here's an even more telling breakdown:

First 12 GP (8-3-1): 46 GF (3.83 GPG)

Last 21 GP (6-13-2): 43 GF (2.05 GPG)...eliminate 2 phantom goals for two SO wins, and they've actually averged LESS than two goals per game over their last 21 GP (1.95). That's pretty hard to do.

BTW Lunqvist has to be losing his mind...he's given up 11 goals in his last 6 GP and has put up a save% of .938, and he's 1-3-2 in those games. How much better can he be expected to play?

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Rangers.... how can an entire organization ... for HOW MANY YEARS? As long as I've been watching... and I was watching at 4!! they ARE an assclown.

The organization is an ass. I mean it BOGGLES THE MIND. Just HOW???? HOW HOW HWOW help me out here... HEY... oh RATS... I forgot about that book signing ... I was just thinking maybe Stan could say...

Scott Stevens -- go get me a copy of that book - signed and then you sign it - to my biggest most adorable and weirdly helpful psycho fan who has driven me to a psycho episode & actually send her this book... PM me Scotty and I'll tell you my work address. Do you even visit here any more :saddevil: ... hmmph... <_< ...

anyhow -- RANGERS ...well -- they just go beyond sucking... it's like they're FAKE - not even a real team... :noclue: it's WEIRD! It's really starting to bug me this year it's so INEXPLICABLE. I hate that -- I hate when something is ... just weird - makes ZERO sense and is SOOOOO CONSISTANTLY WEIRD no matter who's at the helm -who's on the ice... it's just weird you all. Stan MUST have thoughts on this....

oh yeah -- and to Stevens.. please? :giggle: Geoff - Mike -- get your brother on that (in case my psychic messages are crossed and it's you guys reading).

Why do ENJOY being weird? :argh: I despair of me.

Edited by Pepperkorn

Check out this smattering of individual numbers over the Rangers' last 9 GP (they're 1-6-2 over that stretch)...this is expansion team-type stuff. As a team the Rangers have managed 15 GF over the 9 GP:

Gaborik: 4 G, 5 A, -2

Prospal: 0 G, 3 A, -5

Kotalik: 0 G, 2 A, -4

Del Zotto: 0 G, 4 A, -10

Anisimov: 0 G, 2 A, -2

Drury: 0 G, 2 A, -6

Avery: 0 G, 2 A, +1

Rozsival: 1 G, 1 A, -3

Callahan: 4 G, 1 A, -6

Staal: 1 G, 3 A, -2

Higgins: 2 G, 1 A, -6

Girardi: 0 G, 1 A, -7

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

there's no way they'll fire sather, if they didn't fire him before the lockout - what happened this year is nothing compared to that

Now I hear there are "Fire Sather" chants at the Garden, although I don't know for how long. That appeared to be the final straw for Isiah, so maybe it'll be the same for Sather. And if you think about it, the similarities between Isiah and Sather are kind of eery. Both the Knicks and the Rangers were underachieiving teams with huge cap problems caused by wildly overpriced contracts for marginal players. The Knicks cleared house and now there appears to be light at the end of that tunnel of darkness. Maybe Dolan thinks the same thing will work for the Rangers.

In any event, I could see this as some kind of intentionally planted false rumor to light a fire under the likes of Redden, Rosival and Drury. A new GM with orders to clean house will either send some or all of them down to Hartford for the remainder of their days (to the extent that it's possible) to clear up cap space or do everything humanly possible to trade them to a less desirable location.

In any event, I could see this as some kind of intentionally planted false rumor to light a fire under the likes of Redden, Rosival and Drury. A new GM with orders to clean house will either send some or all of them down to Hartford for the remainder of their days (to the extent that it's possible) to clear up cap space or do everything humanly possible to trade them to a less desirable location.

Drury has a no movement clause, so they can't even waive him down. I'm not sure about Redden and Roszival. Also, the rags might have tons of money, but even so, eating what amounts to be $30+ million is painful, especially when the rags will fill their arena no matter how much they suck. Dolan would probably rather keep that money in his pocket.

Edited by Amberite

Drury has a no movement clause, so they can't even waive him down. I'm not sure about Redden and Roszival. Also, the rags might have tons of money, but even so, eating what amounts to be over $10 million is painful, especially when the rags will fill their arena no matter how much they suck. Dolan would probably rather keep that money in his pocket.

For all of his faults, I see Dolan as a Steinbrenner-like figure (although with much less in the smarts category), willing to make less, or even lose money, if it means bringing in a winner. He was willing to spend as much as it took to win when there was no cap (albeit poorly), so I don't see him as too reluctant to eat a bad contract if his GM said it was in the best interests of the teams. Teams in other sports eat bad contracts all the time, I don't see the Rangers as being much different.

In any event, I could see this as some kind of intentionally planted false rumor to light a fire under the likes of Redden, Rosival and Drury.

Those guys probably don't care about the GM enough to save him. That's just a guess.

Drury is probably decimated by the concussions. He has almost nothing left. You could explode an M80 under his butt, and it wouldn't make much difference. If he really cared about Sather he would do what Markus Naslund did -- retire.

Now I hear there are "Fire Sather" chants at the Garden, although I don't know for how long. That appeared to be the final straw for Isiah, so maybe it'll be the same for Sather. And if you think about it, the similarities between Isiah and Sather are kind of eery. Both the Knicks and the Rangers were underachieiving teams with huge cap problems caused by wildly overpriced contracts for marginal players. The Knicks cleared house and now there appears to be light at the end of that tunnel of darkness. Maybe Dolan thinks the same thing will work for the Rangers.

"Fire Sather" chants are nothing new...Sather's been hearing that on and off for years. The Isiah-Sather comparison is a bit off, in that Sather had at least overseen a highly successful regime before joining the Rangers. Thomas merely added to an already laughably pathetic post-player career as a Knick GM and coach.

But it's safe to say that whatever currency that his Oiler dynasty days have bought him was spent a long time ago. He's been considered a buffoon in many circles now for several years, dating back to before the lockout, and although the team isn't as bad as it was pre-lockout, they still don't look like they're anywhere being a real SC contender, and may even be taking steps backward.

Check out this smattering of individual numbers over the Rangers' last 9 GP (they're 1-6-2 over that stretch)...this is expansion team-type stuff. As a team the Rangers have managed 15 GF over the 9 GP:

Gaborik: 4 G, 5 A, -2

Prospal: 0 G, 3 A, -5

Kotalik: 0 G, 2 A, -4

Del Zotto: 0 G, 4 A, -10

Anisimov: 0 G, 2 A, -2

Drury: 0 G, 2 A, -6

Avery: 0 G, 2 A, +1

Rozsival: 1 G, 1 A, -3

Callahan: 4 G, 1 A, -6

Staal: 1 G, 3 A, -2

Higgins: 2 G, 1 A, -6

Girardi: 0 G, 1 A, -7

That shows how much they have been relying on one player. Must be why they are LOSING.

Look at the goals for this team going back to the begining of the season:

Marian Gaborik 23

Ryan Callahan 7

Vinny Prospal 6

Ales Kotalik 6

After that there are 7 players with 4-5 goals, but having your number 1 player have more goals then number number 2, 3, and 4 combined is a recipe for disaster. Teams that rely on 1 player don't win cups. At this point I want the Islanders to win only to see what the rags do. Sather should have been fired a long time ago, maybe now is the time. The team is a joke, they've been "rebuilding" for about 100 years now, maybe it's time to just give up.

Rangers.... how can an entire organization ... for HOW MANY YEARS? As long as I've been watching... and I was watching at 4!! they ARE an assclown.

The organization is an ass. I mean it BOGGLES THE MIND. Just HOW???? HOW HOW HWOW help me out here... HEY... oh RATS... I forgot about that book signing ... I was just thinking maybe Stan could say...

Scott Stevens -- go get me a copy of that book - signed and then you sign it - to my biggest most adorable and weirdly helpful psycho fan who has driven me to a psycho episode & actually send her this book... PM me Scotty and I'll tell you my work address. Do you even visit here any more :saddevil: ... hmmph... <_< ...

anyhow -- RANGERS ...well -- they just go beyond sucking... it's like they're FAKE - not even a real team... :noclue: it's WEIRD! It's really starting to bug me this year it's so INEXPLICABLE. I hate that -- I hate when something is ... just weird - makes ZERO sense and is SOOOOO CONSISTANTLY WEIRD no matter who's at the helm -who's on the ice... it's just weird you all. Stan MUST have thoughts on this....

oh yeah -- and to Stevens.. please? :giggle: Geoff - Mike -- get your brother on that (in case my psychic messages are crossed and it's you guys reading).

Why do ENJOY being weird? :argh: I despair of me.

How, you ask? It's not really so hard to grasp. When you have an ownership that doesn't hold anyone accountable at any level, this is what happens. Re: that list of players I posted, not one of them has seen the bench or been scratched. Clearly some of them, like Gaborik, shouldn't be, but there are guys on that roster who deserve to be healthy scratches, if for no other reason than to show them that their place in the lineup isn't guaranteed.

Torts really seems like a guy who's trying to hold guys accountable, but he simply comes off more comical than threatening. He wouldn't scare me in the slightest if I was a Blowshirt fat cat.