The Official Rangers Suck Thread

Triumph

They've certainly lucked out schedule wise this last half of the month and into Jan. playing opponents that might be as bad or worse then they are. Talk about a cure:

Flyers 2 times

Hurricanes 3 times

Islanders 3 times

I might be completely wrong here, but I think the rags, after this next stretch they have, will have one of the easiest schedules so far in the league. It just seems like they've played many bad teams this year. Again, I might be wrong.

Which makes their fans brag and think they will win it all but then comes january where the rags begin to fall down the standings.

I'd have to check to see if their schedule is really that weak at the beginning of the season, year after year, but what hasn't been uncommon is for the Rangers to play lot of games early...I've seen the Devils have as many as six games in hand on the Rangers early in seasons. What makes this funny is I've heard Ranger fans actually talk smack if, say, the Devils trail them in the standings by 2 or 3 points, even if the Rangers have played 4+ more games than the Devils.

I know this is supposed to be a bile-filled thread, and my hatred for the Rangers know no bounds, but Lundqvist has really put an early and impressive end to his mid-season funk...he's put up a .947 save% over his last nine games, and given up 2 goals or less in 8 of those. Rangers are only 4-3-2 over that span...the minute Lundqvist cools off, the Ranger losses are going to start to pile up again. Outside of that five-goal outburst against the Islanders, the Rangers haven't been scoring at all.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe playing that many games early was a disservice? Neither does playing so many road games late every season. Being that busy can wear on ya and there's little practice time. Something that can be an edge for a new coach of a team that's jelled. For all the talk of sched, you play who's on it which means going out there and winning. There are no less points handed out and no style points either.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe playing that many games early was a disservice?

Actually, IMO, it's benefical. Better to play early and gel then to not play and just keep practicing. There's only so much you can do in practice. I'm one that likes early road trips in a season. That helps build chemistry.

Neither does playing so many road games late every season. Being that busy can wear on ya and there's little practice time.

Ah, travel and the wear it takes is an overrated opinion these days. These guys have the luxuries of posh plane rides and hotels with comforts, it isn't he grind many think it is. I'll take that "grind"

Something that can be an edge for a new coach of a team that's jelled. For all the talk of sched, you play who's on it which means going out there and winning. There are no less points handed out and no style points either.

It's also a bonus to play 6-8 games pretty much all at one time within 3 weeks against teams that are absolutely terrible to mediocre this season. Now, it's not a scheduling bonus or conspiracy as who knows who is going to be terrible in any given season, it's just a lucky draw right now for the Rags, epsecially when they need wins and points.

Not completely accurate. Until the roster changed last year, they did keep players together which resulted in the only two playoff wins, including a close series with Buffalo. Unfortunately, the one instance Renney didn't put Betts out cost them any realistic chance of advancing. One I was reminded of last night from my best friend, referencing the great Drury. :P

I don't believe in "lucky draws." That's just silly. On any given night, you can lose in this league. Even if it's to a subpar opponent, who rises to the occasion or perhaps your team didn't show. What exactly constitutes 'real teams?' You mean like all the tough opponents they beat just to make it last year? Mentioning the schedule setup is pointless because it's probably the same people who dislike it because the Devils don't play much at the beginning every year. But when your sched is more spread out, it's not just beneficial for working on things at the rink but also allows players time to recover. Especially given all the injuries.

Not completely accurate. Until the roster changed last year, they did keep players together which resulted in the only two playoff wins, including a close series with Buffalo. Unfortunately, the one instance Renney didn't put Betts out cost them any realistic chance of advancing. One I was reminded of last night from my best friend, referencing the great Drury. :P

I don't believe in "lucky draws." That's just silly. On any given night, you can lose in this league. Even if it's to a subpar opponent, who rises to the occasion or perhaps your team didn't show. What exactly constitutes 'real teams?' You mean like all the tough opponents they beat just to make it last year? Mentioning the schedule setup is pointless because it's probably the same people who dislike it because the Devils don't play much at the beginning every year. But when your sched is more spread out, it's not just beneficial for working on things at the rink but also allows players time to recover. Especially given all the injuries.

You're missing the point of what the original poster (Triumph) is going for here. (To be fair, I did too at first...I thought he was being ironic, when he really did intend this thread to be a dumping ground for Ranger hatred.) It's not meant to be 100% accurate or reasonable (leave logic at the door)...hell, I've probably brought more reason to this thread than Triumph ever wanted to see. It's not really a thread for Ranger fans to come into to dispute our points...even the ones that might be off.

Back in 2001 I made the mistake of going onto a Ranger board to debate Ranger fans on the Devils' style of play...as you know the '01 Devils were an incredibly fun bunch to watch, but not only were these fans still calling them a boring trap team, they were saying things like "more teams should play like the Rangers". Of course they were 100% wrong, but it WAS a Ranger board and most of the fans there hated the Devils, so they were just spewing venom for the sake of spewing venom. Although what I've read here is far more on the money than what I read back in '01, that's really all this thread is about.

...hell, I've probably brought more reason to this thread than Triumph ever wanted to see. It's not really a thread for Ranger fans to come into to dispute our points...even the ones that might be off.

ding ding ding on both points. sorry derek, some other thread, i'd be glad to, but not this one.

We need to work the Canes into this thread.

carolina doesn't even deserve scorn at this point, just pity. here's hoping they get on a little winning streak and finish 5th from the bottom.

Just got back from the game. What a game it was. I was getting very nervous during overtime but man was I happy when Okposo launched it in. Very fun to get two points at the garden.

Now, on to the point of my post.

I'm 16 years old, and although I do have Islander fan friends, I usually go with my dad to games at the garden (he's a general NY fan, no team in particular). Although we didn't discuss if afterward, I can speak for him as well as myself that we had our night absolutely ruined by two pieces of trash that you would call Ranger fans.

We had the luxury of sitting in amazing seats (section 206, center ice) courtesy of ticket exchange. Through past experience of sitting that low in the garden, I had met a few die-hards and loudmouths before, but nobody who really gave me a problem. I had NO idea of what I'd face tonight.

We arrive extra early for warmups, and return to our seats to wait for the game to start. A few minutes before the game, two Ranger fans in their mid-twenties arrive in the row above us. Quite frankly I'm just guessing when they arrived, because when they did arrive they weren't any trouble. However, as soon as the intros started at around 7:00, my god.

From that point on, the two could not go 2 minutes (real time, not game time) without screaming an obscenity/profanity. Be it "I ****IN HATE THE ISLANDERS", "NIELSEN HAS A ******", or "THE COLISEUM SUCKS ****" (the blanks should be fairly easy to fill in), you could not sit there for two minutes without hearing it. One minute, "CLEAR THE ****IN ZONE"; next minute, "BRUNO'S A -derogatory word for homosexuals-". Stuff that wouldn't be tolerated in a sports bar at 3 AM. One of them topped it off by spilling his beer on me when the Rangers scored (and it wasn't like I asked for it, I didn't even clap unless there was a goal, big save, PK clear, or big hit... didn't chant, didn't instigate at all). He claimed it to be an accident and apologized but didn't seem very sincere about it. After all, he "****in hates the Islanders".

Never in my short 16 year old life have I ever sat near people like this. How fitting that they were two idiot Ranger fans, both drunk. However, I don't doubt that this happens in all arenas from all fan-bases (although I have to admit, I expected this more from Rags than anybody else). That's why in my humble opinion, alcohol should be banned from all sporting arenas in North America. Not by law, but by league policy for all sports. Selling alcohol does not benefit the fans in any way. Alcohol causes fights, gets people ejected from games, leads to stupid and obscene behavior, and very easily can cause drunk driving and deaths when so many cars are leaving the same place. There is no reason that a substance chemically identified as a harmful drug and not medically-issued should be sold to thousands upon thousands of angry hockey, football, basketball, or baseball fans. All it does is ruin event experiences, not enhance them. If you cannot enjoy a game sober, then enjoy the game from your own house. That's particularly pointed at the two that ruined my night, and extends to any other fan of any other team in any other sports that does similar things.

I'll be back there in February to see Devils Rangers on the 6th. I hope to god I don't have a similar experience.

Just got back from the game. What a game it was. I was getting very nervous during overtime but man was I happy when Okposo launched it in. Very fun to get two points at the garden.

Now, on to the point of my post.

I'm 16 years old, and although I do have Islander fan friends, I usually go with my dad to games at the garden (he's a general NY fan, no team in particular). Although we didn't discuss if afterward, I can speak for him as well as myself that we had our night absolutely ruined by two pieces of trash that you would call Ranger fans.

We had the luxury of sitting in amazing seats (section 206, center ice) courtesy of ticket exchange. Through past experience of sitting that low in the garden, I had met a few die-hards and loudmouths before, but nobody who really gave me a problem. I had NO idea of what I'd face tonight.

We arrive extra early for warmups, and return to our seats to wait for the game to start. A few minutes before the game, two Ranger fans in their mid-twenties arrive in the row above us. Quite frankly I'm just guessing when they arrived, because when they did arrive they weren't any trouble. However, as soon as the intros started at around 7:00, my god.

From that point on, the two could not go 2 minutes (real time, not game time) without screaming an obscenity/profanity. Be it "I ****IN HATE THE ISLANDERS", "NIELSEN HAS A ******", or "THE COLISEUM SUCKS ****" (the blanks should be fairly easy to fill in), you could not sit there for two minutes without hearing it. One minute, "CLEAR THE ****IN ZONE"; next minute, "BRUNO'S A -derogatory word for homosexuals-". Stuff that wouldn't be tolerated in a sports bar at 3 AM. One of them topped it off by spilling his beer on me when the Rangers scored (and it wasn't like I asked for it, I didn't even clap unless there was a goal, big save, PK clear, or big hit... didn't chant, didn't instigate at all). He claimed it to be an accident and apologized but didn't seem very sincere about it. After all, he "****in hates the Islanders".

Never in my short 16 year old life have I ever sat near people like this. How fitting that they were two idiot Ranger fans, both drunk. However, I don't doubt that this happens in all arenas from all fan-bases (although I have to admit, I expected this more from Rags than anybody else). That's why in my humble opinion, alcohol should be banned from all sporting arenas in North America. Not by law, but by league policy for all sports. Selling alcohol does not benefit the fans in any way. Alcohol causes fights, gets people ejected from games, leads to stupid and obscene behavior, and very easily can cause drunk driving and deaths when so many cars are leaving the same place. There is no reason that a substance chemically identified as a harmful drug and not medically-issued should be sold to thousands upon thousands of angry hockey, football, basketball, or baseball fans. All it does is ruin event experiences, not enhance them. If you cannot enjoy a game sober, then enjoy the game from your own house. That's particularly pointed at the two that ruined my night, and extends to any other fan of any other team in any other sports that does similar things.

I'll be back there in February to see Devils Rangers on the 6th. I hope to god I don't have a similar experience.

In a few years you'll understand.

Until there's a tragedy where dozens of people are killed solely because of in-game drinking, there will be liquor sold at games. And even then, every arena has some sort of watering hole (at least one) by it, where people will just get trashed before the game anyway. You can't stop it, just hope people enjoy their buzz rather than get violent with it.

I've never understood the actions of fans either during these games. At the end of the day, it's just a game. Not life or death. Yet you'd never know it by how a few act. I've been witness to silly stuff from both sides. Once, a drunken Islander fan mouthed off to two Ranger fans near the concession upstairs. Let's just say he took it too far. He was jumped by both right in front of me. My Dad helped break it up. Security came and did the rest. Unfortunately, alcohol can do this. There is no rationale. It's why I only drink occasionally. Plus I don't see the point. I'd rather be fit. I also was there in our usual 411 Row F seats and apparently, some Isle fan got a bloody nose and security came. I didn't see as I was having a much more fun discussion about our team with a knowledgeable, long-time fan. When stuff like that happens, I block it out. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe I'll see ya at that Devil game and we can talk puck. P.S. Cow is 100 percent on. It'll never change.

Edited by Derek21

I'll be there for that game too. I'm looking forward to it.

It sucks that your game experience was tainted, but all-in-all it really doesn't sound all that bad to me. Obscenities are annoying, but it doesn't sound like anything was personally directed at you. Did you complain to any of the Garden staffers about the language?

The worst parts of your story are the homophobic language and the "accidental" beer spill. That type of stuff sucks and shouldn't be tolerated. Was it a full beer? Or a partial spill, like it was in his hand when he jumped up to cheer and some came out the top?

Still though, I've heard and experienced worse. I've been punched in the stomach just for wearing a Devils cap in Philly and Andrew has a horror story of his own from that city. If some bad words and a little bit of beer are all you got, then it sucks but isn't enough to start banning the sales of alcohol in sporting venues across the continent, IMO.

It sucks that your game experience was tainted, but all-in-all it really doesn't sound all that bad to me. Obscenities are annoying, but it doesn't sound like anything was personally directed at you. Did you complain to any of the Garden staffers about the language?

The worst parts of your story are the homophobic language and the "accidental" beer spill. That type of stuff sucks and shouldn't be tolerated. Was it a full beer? Or a partial spill, like it was in his hand when he jumped up to cheer and some came out the top?

Still though, I've heard and experienced worse. I've been punched in the stomach just for wearing a Devils cap in Philly and Andrew has a horror story of his own from that city. If some bad words and a little bit of beer are all you got, then it sucks but isn't enough to start banning the sales of alcohol in sporting venues across the continent, IMO.

It was a partial spill, and I actually do doubt that he did it on purpose, more of that he just didn't care who he hit with it.

As much as I can't stand a lot of Ranger fans, as far as actual violence goes, the Flyer fans are far worse. Ranger fans just have annoying voices, lame jokes, and a warped sense of their franchise's history and importance. Flyer fans will punch you when you're not looking. The worst fan brawls I've witnessed always take place when the Flyers are in our building.

I watch plenty of Ranger games. They honestly wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't for the fact that they wholeheartedly think they are the center of the universe and that they remind people of 1994 every 15 minutes.

I liked JD alot, he had a more innocent homer-ness to him, but Micheletti is unbelievable. Every big star that has a big game at the Garden must be 'auditioning for a spot in Broadway.' I am aware that alot of that is forced onto them by management, though. At least that is the way it goes with the Knicks, so I'd assume it's the same for the Rangers.

Not for nothing Sam Rosen is Big time Homer.