Which player "surprises" you the most?

Devil Fan

Which player surprises you the most  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Take your pick

• Rob Niedermayer (12pts in 23 gms)
    • Dean McAmmond (+6 in 15 games)
    • Andy Greene (19pts,+10 & 23:53 ice time average)
    • Mark Fraser (+11, led all "D")
    • Nicklas Bergfors (team best 7 PPG)
    • Vladimir Zharkov (6A, +5, 12:55 ice time average in 11 gms)
    • Yann Danis (3-0-0, 2.00 GAA & .929 SV%

From my opinion, I think Danis will make the most impact because he will give Jacques the confidence to use him, which gives Marty more rest when playoffs arrive.

And it's interesting to see this:

Rafalski (6M): 2G, 12A, 14pts, +6, 1PPG & 23:53 TOI (0 GWG)

Greene(0.738M): 4G, 15A, 19pts, +10, 4PPG & 23:53TOI (3 GWG)

Edited by Devil Fan

Put Brodeur in net on DET and you'll see Rafalski's stats easily change.

Unfair comparison, even if he plays w/Lidstrom.

DET really got hit bad with injuries this year. Now we get to see what Babcock's really made of.

It is impressive however that Green has 3 more PPG then Rafalski. Besides, none of those stats really have much to do with who the goalie is except maybe +/-.

I'm surprised Parise has gone so long without a goal. I'm also impressed that MB30 has played so well, and so often, kind of disappointed in Langenbrunner's play.. I didn't look at the stats but he seems to be playing sub-par. I was also impressed with David Clarkson, who played well on the powerplay and scored some good goals before he was injured.

Other than that the team as a whole is surprising as usual. They always find a way to win, which seems to continue no matter what. They play every game like its the playoffs, and I think we have 9 guys all which all deserve to play for line 1-2. Also, the fourth line is playing well and contributing. I guess we have line 1a, line 1b, line 1c, and line 2.

Hopefully they don't play backwards and put a pre-season effort come spring.

Edited by skullsmasher

I picked Fraser...I didn't even know he led the D with +11. For a rookie, wow. I didn't pick Greene because i'm not surprised.

:thumbsup::lol:

I know we're paying him a ton of money, but I'm honestly most surprised by Brian Rolston right now. He's been flat out GOOD so far this season, and after last year, I wasn't sure he still had it in him.

Of the choices listed, I still picked Andy Greene. I'd been saying he's prove to be a very good player for awhile now, but even I didn't expect this.

McAmmond and Nieds II playing 25% better than they should.... but they are made for the Lemaire system and are getting quality ice time with top players.

Danis is a descent goalie playing on a very good defensive team... what he has done is not surprising at all

Bergfors scoring is about to drop as Lemaire is teaching him to play defense with Nieds and Pando. He has had some serious puck luck so his Goal number is surprising but not shocking.

Fraser in my mind was a parking cone. My mind was wrong. His physical presence is what gets him through. he is smart, strong and fearless. To paraphrase Lemaire, the kid keeps is simple and plays a physical game and that what allows him to compete at this level. I thought he was an average AHL defender, he's turned out to be a a descent 6th defender. Ok, that's not shocking.

Zharkov would be the winner of this poll if he could score. His fight and tenacity and quick thinking make him a very pleasant surprise, and he has been invaluable while Zubrus and Clarkson heal.

The winner of the poll is Andy Greene... who went from trade bait, to 7th defender, to Devils' #1 defender and is arguable playing like an all-star. If Martin returns to form, and Greene keeps up his level of play we'll have a chance to go far this year. Not only is Andy the biggest surprise, it is completely shocking. I watch him frequently away from the puck (when I am at the Rock)... his play in the defensive zone, his shot from the point, his vision and smarts are an an elite level right now. Where the heck did that come from? Biggest surprise, you bet.

Great topic btw....

i put zharkov because i don't think any of us even thought he had a shot with injuries to play and he's actually played well and isn't automatically the first sent packing when zubrus and clarkson return - his play is going to make them think about doing something with pandolfo - i really think so.

I am glad Greene is winning, but I didn't pick him because I liked him from day one and am not surprised at all. I would pick Peters. I am surprised he is on the team at all. It's a toss up between Bergie and Sharky. I picked Sharky.

How can you not have Brian Rolston and his 9 goals and 6 assists in the last 14 games on the list?

I thought about that too because he is closing to score as much as last season, but given his contract and reunion with Lemaire, those numbers are still not surprising if you compare them when Rolston was still a Wild.

BTW, look at those players' cap hit/conract status and you'll see the aformentioned players are bargains.

Mark Fraser's play has to beg the question who gets scratched when Martin comes back?

fraser still gets scratched. fraser is playing against the weakest competition of any of the defensemen, and he's starting a lot of his shifts in the offensive zone. while fraser is playing well in that role, if the training wheels were taken off i suspect there'd be a lot more complaining about him. further helping fraser's cause is the fact that the devils have played a ton of home games lately, so lemaire has gotten to hide him even better.

Edited by Triumph