CONGRATS TO MARTY BRODEUR...NEW SHUTOUT KING #104!

ThreeCups

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the fact that we, as Devil fans/Hockey fans basically have watched history in the making.

Every game I go to I appreciate what we have in NJ.

IF Marty ever wins cup #4 without Stevens/Nieds/Dano he will officially be the greatest goalie of all time without any strings.

I love the fact that we, as Devil fans/Hockey fans basically have watched history in the making.

Every game I go to I appreciate what we have in NJ.

IF Marty ever wins cup #4 without Stevens/Nieds/Dano he will officially be the greatest goalie of all time without any strings.

My kids closed their eyes the last minute or so. Not me. I think I enjoyed this more than 552.

My kids closed their eyes the last minute or so. Not me. I think I enjoyed this more than 552.

Let's not get carried away! 552 is a much bigger record in the history of the sport. 104 is also big, but overall wins trumps shutouts. Also, I was at 552 and it was a HOME game, so to me, there is no comparison...

Let's not get carried away! 552 is a much bigger record in the history of the sport. 104 is also big, but overall wins trumps shutouts. Also, I was at 552 and it was a HOME game, so to me, there is no comparison...

But I like getting carried away!

Which is easier to obtain, wins or shutouts?

Congratz MB30.

Obviously on a 1 to 1 basis a win is easier to get. When looking at what record is harder to break, it is a tough call. I think both will last forever to be honest. It would take an excellent goalie to come into the league very young, play on a good team, and not suffer any extended injuries. Even if a goalie played from 20-35 at 40 wins a year (pretty much impossible), that is 600 wins. Marty will finish well above this mark. I do not see how this would be broke. With the same age guidelines as above, it would take 7 shutouts per year or so to break the shutout mark. After further examining this, I think the shutout record might be easier to break. Theoretically your team could not have many wins a year, but 7 shutouts. It is not likely but still a possibility. For example a goalie may average 25-30 wins a year but 7 of them being shutouts. My final verdict is that the shutout record is slightly easier to break than the wins record. The wins records encompasses too many factors for someone to break it. (age breaking into NHL, be on a good team every year, and no injuries)

ESPN website=NOTHING on Marty

ESPN NHL section=Staal breaking his face tonight...NOT A PEEP on one of the most difficult records in sports to break.

Translation=must be A LOT of Rangers fans who work at ESPN.

Just wanted to make one important edit, that probably will help you understand:

ESPN website=NOTHING worth your time.

+1.

I agree. #552 was very big and seeing it live at the Prudential Center was icing on the cake. #104 is big too and much harder to get but unfortunately it was on the road. I was hoping to see #104 on home ice.

Speaking of 552, Marty is now at 547 for non-shootout wins. Not many people are keeping track of that, but at least when Marty ups that 547 to 552, no one can claim shootout wins were the reason he broke Roy's record. If anyone ever DOES challenge Marty's final win tally (could be very well be 650 or more, and over 600 non-shootout wins), such a challenger could have as many as 100 shootout wins bloating his career total.

Obviously on a 1 to 1 basis a win is easier to get. When looking at what record is harder to break, it is a tough call. I think both will last forever to be honest. It would take an excellent goalie to come into the league very young, play on a good team, and not suffer any extended injuries. Even if a goalie played from 20-35 at 40 wins a year (pretty much impossible), that is 600 wins. Marty will finish well above this mark. I do not see how this would be broke. With the same age guidelines as above, it would take 7 shutouts per year or so to break the shutout mark. After further examining this, I think the shutout record might be easier to break. Theoretically your team could not have many wins a year, but 7 shutouts. It is not likely but still a possibility. For example a goalie may average 25-30 wins a year but 7 of them being shutouts. My final verdict is that the shutout record is slightly easier to break than the wins record. The wins records encompasses too many factors for someone to break it. (age breaking into NHL, be on a good team every year, and no injuries)

If a goalie can average 7 SOs, he deservers 10 Mil + a year. Doesnt a goalie have to be on the ice the entire game to get a SO? Given that one can still have a bad night and get the win, I think the SO record is more impressive.

Regardless, I think they are both untouchable for a very long time, so no argument there.

A heartfelt congratulations to Martin Brodeur and his record setting career shutout Number 104....and counting!

After Detroit's Terry Sawchuk eclipsed the career shutout record of George Hainsworth back in 1964, everyone, including hockey's experts, stated that this was the record that would never be broken.

Never broken? When Brodeur's legendary career has reached its conclusion, hockey's greatest goaltender will have smashed the all-time shutout record as he is currently doing to the all-time career wins one. It's been such a pleasure to watch one of the greats of the game at any position to have played right in our backyard. It'll be even sweeter to see Marty take his rightful place up in Toronto amongst the game's greatest to ever have laced them up: Gretsky, Orr, Howe, Lemieux, Brodeur....amazing.

So we all hail the king, Martin Brodeur, as we congratulate him on such a monumental achievement and thank him for all of the wonderful memories including his individual accolades as well as the multiple Stanley Cup championships he brought to the New Jersey Devils!

......cause nobody does it better......makes me feel sad for the rest.....nobody does it half as good as you....Martin Brodeur..you're the best.....