CONGRATS TO MARTY BRODEUR...NEW SHUTOUT KING #104!

ThreeCups

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of 552, Marty is now at 547 for non-shootout wins. Not many people are keeping track of that, but at least when Marty ups that 547 to 552, no one can claim shootout wins were the reason he broke Roy's record. If anyone ever DOES challenge Marty's final win tally (could be very well be 650 or more, and over 600 non-shootout wins), such a challenger could have as many as 100 shootout wins bloating his career total.

Even with the shootout wins; nobody will come into the league young enough, stay healthy long enough, and be on a competitive team long enough to touch King Martin's win record. It is just too many factors that all have to go right for the duration of a great goaltender's career. Like I mentioned previously, a goalie would have to average 40 wins over a 15 year period to hit 600. Martin will finish well above 600....Marty himself only had 3 consecutive 40 win seasons, so this is not an easy feat. Using 35 wins as an average/season, Marty holds that record with 11. At 35 wins/per it would take someone 18 SEASONS to hit 630!!! This is INSANE! Won't happen unless they significantly shrink the net, lol. We know that is not gonna happen.....552 and counting will live forever!

+1.

I agree. #552 was very big and seeing it live at the Prudential Center was icing on the cake. #104 is big too and much harder to get but unfortunately it was on the road. I was hoping to see #104 on home ice.

They are all home games to me. Well, my home that is. :P

They are all home games to me. Well, my home that is. :P

Ha ha...this is true NC. :)

It is a good place on the road to get the All-Time shutout record though. The last game EVER at the Melon Arena in pittsburgh and Brodeur and all of us fans will never forget where it was broken.

Edited by SatansDevils

It is a shame that he was robbed of the only piece of hardware he is really missing....when they gave the Conn Smythe to that sniffling crybaby Giguere. (can't hold not having a Hart trophy against a goaltender) Marty had 3 shutouts in the FINALS for crying out loud! Ridiculous robbery....MARTY'S BETTER! One of the best chants I have ever heard/been a part of. Continental was absolutely electric that night, and for that Game 7 alone that dump of an arena will always hold a special place in my fan heart!

Game 7 in 2003 may have even topped Game 4 of 1995....maybe. There was just something in the old Meadowlands barn that evening and yes 3 Cups, it was truly an electric atmosphere at the old Byrne (CAA). How often do you see a goalie shutout the opposition in a Game 7 Stanley Cups Final, let alone three shutouts in the series?

It just doesn't get any better than that folks.........unless.........Marty & Co bring, dare I say, Lord's Stanley back home to the Garden State and hoist it up at The Rock? Sweeeeeeet...........

Even with the shootout wins; nobody will come into the league young enough, stay healthy long enough, and be on a competitive team long enough to touch King Martin's win record. It is just too many factors that all have to go right for the duration of a great goaltender's career. Like I mentioned previously, a goalie would have to average 40 wins over a 15 year period to hit 600. Martin will finish well above 600....Marty himself only had 3 consecutive 40 win seasons, so this is not an easy feat. Using 35 wins as an average/season, Marty holds that record with 11. At 35 wins/per it would take someone 18 SEASONS to hit 630!!! This is INSANE! Won't happen unless they significantly shrink the net, lol. We know that is not gonna happen.....552 and counting will live forever!

Oh I agree with you, in that the chances are incredibly remote that this record (which is far from being final) will be broken...so many things would have to come together perfectly for someone to have the slightest chance. Just two bad years or two years spent playing for a bad team would be enough to wreck any chance. The fact Marty will have played roughly 70% or so of his career without shootouts will make his win total that much more impressive, since almost everyone who's going to move up the wins list from here on out will have shootout wins inflating their numbers.

What should be remembered is that Marty always took less money than he was worth, and made his negotiations relatively easy for Lou. Even if someone actually had the physical makeup to challenge Marty's record, would he be as team-oriented and unselfish? Would he be smart enough to turn away extra dollars for the best situation? Would be have enough foresight to realize that his GM needs money to sign and keep other guys as well as himself?

My kids closed their eyes the last minute or so. Not me. I think I enjoyed this more than 552.

104 was truly one of those amazing moments in all of sports, but I'll never forget Saint Paddy's Day evening two thousand and nine. Being at The Rock for 552 was such a phenomenal experience, right up there with Game 4 '95, Game 7 '03 and so many others.....but that all-time wins record......on Saint Marty's Day......with the Newark Fire Dept Pipe & Drum Band wailing on the bagpipes all over the arena.....the cheerleaders all decked out in green.....the majority of the crowd on the sauce, lol....I'm not sure anything will ever compare to 552.

When it's all said and done, Marty's final win total will be staggering. I do not believe that we'll ever see a goalie being able to break in that young and have such the consistent success that Marty has accomplished. There are many Brodeur records that may never be broken beyond his career wins and career shutout ones especially his consecutive win season totals among many more.

Brodeur is truly one for the ages.

When it's all said and done, Marty's final win total will be staggering. I do not believe that we'll ever see a goalie being able to break in that young and have such the consistent success that Marty has accomplished. There are many Brodeur records that may never be broken beyond his career wins and career shutout ones especially his consecutive win season totals among many more.

Brodeur is truly one for the ages.

The question is...will Marty stick around long enough to hit....700?!?!?

A heartfelt congratulations to Martin Brodeur and his record setting career shutout Number 104....and counting!

After Detroit's Terry Sawchuk eclipsed the career shutout record of George Hainsworth back in 1964, everyone, including hockey's experts, stated that this was the record that would never be broken.

Never broken? When Brodeur's legendary career has reached its conclusion, hockey's greatest goaltender will have smashed the all-time shutout record as he is currently doing to the all-time career wins one. It's been such a pleasure to watch one of the greats of the game at any position to have played right in our backyard. It'll be even sweeter to see Marty take his rightful place up in Toronto amongst the game's greatest to ever have laced them up: Gretsky, Orr, Howe, Lemieux, Brodeur....amazing.

So we all hail the king, Martin Brodeur, as we congratulate him on such a monumental achievement and thank him for all of the wonderful memories including his individual accolades as well as the multiple Stanley Cup championships he brought to the New Jersey Devils!

......cause nobody does it better......makes me feel sad for the rest.....nobody does it half as good as you....Martin Brodeur..you're the best.....

"Gretsky"?? :doh1:

let's not forget to mention Marty's 24 Shoot-out losses, which would have been recorded as ties

Martin Brodeur, the greatest goaltender to ever lace 'em up, holds such an extraordinary array of NHL records. A reflection of this legend's achievements:

Career:

Most regular season wins (580 and counting)

Most shutouts (104 and counting)

Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined (127)

Most overtime wins (45)

Most consecutive 30-win seasons (12)

Most consecutive 35-win seasons (11)

Most 40-win seasons (7)

Most games played by an NHL goaltender (1,031 as of December 21st, 2009)

Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender (record achieved during 2009

The question is...will Marty stick around long enough to hit....700?!?!?

Assuming he avoids long term injuries and signs an extension after this contract he will reach 700 for sure. He'll hit 600 during this season. All this with approx 2 lost seasons worth of games. Its incredible.

Appreciate the enthusiasm, we're all excited and happy.....but......

Isn't there already a GIANT PINNED thread at the top regarding said topic?

If everyone makes their own thread on this its gong to get old real quick.....wouldn't you agree?

Actually I disagree, respectfully, especially for one of the game's greatest achievements. There should be as many threads on this moment in time as opinions and salutations.

This is a once in a lifetime event! Run with it and run far! If I had more available time I would post a few dozen new threads on this event and no I don't believe that 104 will "get old real quick" just like 552 keeps rolling on!

Enjoy it people!!

"Gretsky"?? :doh1:

Widely acknowledged as the 'greatest' to play the game. Personally I hate the dou**ebag and wish him nothing but failures in his coaching/management career.

But this is about our legendary netminder Martin Brodeur! Another heartfelt congratulations Marty as you are simply just the best to ever play the game!

Well done my good man, well done!

let's not forget to mention Marty's 24 Shoot-out losses, which would have been recorded as ties

Where are you getting 24 losses from?

According to this site, Marty's played in 48 shootouts and won 33 of them:

http://www.nhlshootouts.com/CareerGoaliesMostWins.htm

Widely acknowledged as the 'greatest' to play the game. Personally I hate the dou**ebag and wish him nothing but failures in his coaching/management career.

But this is about our legendary netminder Martin Brodeur! Another heartfelt congratulations Marty as you are simply just the best to ever play the game!

Well done my good man, well done!

I'll let someone else handle this...

hopefully he can add another thread about it

Still don't get it, but that's okay as it's Brodeur's and the fans day. Hopefully there will be dozens of threads on this expressing the joy over such a monumental achievement.

Again, it's a once in a lifetime event, don't you believe that now is not the time to play traffic cop on this board?

Assuming he avoids long term injuries and signs an extension after this contract he will reach 700 for sure. He'll hit 600 during this season. All this with approx 2 lost seasons worth of games. Its incredible.

I tend to think the full lockout year and possibly his injury last year could have helped prolong his career. He did get a year older during the lockout, but it is a year less of the rigorous pounding of an NHL schedule on his body...but who knows?