Scf Game 7 Thread

msweet

It is because there was NO WAY the Ducks would have advanced thru ANY round w/o Giguere. Plan and simple. Close call, but that is a true statement.

i was looking all over for this thread!!!

i STILL dont understnad how marty got 7 shutouts, 3 in the finals, and no conn smyth

regardless, this thread (Along with game 7 ottawa) was an awesome read...i wish i was here back then, i remember the game like it was yesterday. too bad the boards werent around in 2000 (OMG ARNOTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Well, the arguement has been made over and over again, but the general idea is that Giguere was the MOST valuable player TO his team in the playoffs, which probably weighed VERY heavily upon the judges. Marty was great, but so was Langenbrunner, Friesen, Pandolfo, Niedermayer, etc etc etc. We had easily five or six guys who could have contended for the Smythe, while the Ducks clearly had only one -- JS Giguere. Without Giguere, the Ducks don't make the Finals. Sure, they had Sykora with a wonderful run, but he wasn't the key cog, Giggy was. And I was perfectly fine with him getting MVP, although it would have been nice to see Marty or another Devil get it, I understood why none did.

There was Hockeyboards and even a version of this board somewhere I think. Hockeyboards archives are most likely history. Dunno about this boards though, maybe DM keeps them somewhere in a safe. :D

EDIT: Am I not safe ANYWHERE? :rant:

Edited by sammyk

• 6 years later...
  • 6 years later...
22 minutes ago, DevilMinder said:

Ahh the glory days...

I was wondering why I didn't post in this before remembering that I didn't even own a cell phone in 2003 and couldn't even post from the arena during the game if I wanted to lmfao 

Still my favorite experience ever at the Meadowlands. Feels like yesterday. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 3

I didn't sleep that night... i was destroyed at work the day "after"... SUCH A GOOD memory

so good that it makes me sad now... 
But i should stop being sad... We will rise again right ? (right ?) 

• Like 3

I wish we had the Prudential center back then.   After finishing our celebratory 6 pack in the parking lot the only place we could find to continue the celebration was the TGI Friday’s in Secaucus.  

3 finals in 4 years was really something else

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Those were the days. 

Especially the 2000 and 2001 teams.   I don’t think they get the credit they deserve for being an absolute juggernaut those years.   I really wish we had closed out the 2001 series because then it would probably be different.  

I can’t tell you how many bets I’ve won down here in Philly with people who just tell me it was a trap and I bet them we were the highest scoring team back then.   

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Antiquated Colorado Rockie said:

Man those were the days. Winning the cup was ecstasy for all of us fans I'm sure. 

Wasn't on this board for that, am now and I frequent threads like "Race to the bottom"

ha, same here.. my how things have changed. I thought last year was the start to our climb out of the dark hole... man was I fooled.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

ha, same here.. my how things have changed. I thought last year was the start to our climb out of the dark hole... man was I fooled.

It’s even more proof, if you needed it, that Taylor Hall was the MVP last year. If he wasn’t, we’d have had what we had last year. 

At least until they all got hurt like this year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s even more proof, if you needed it, that Taylor Hall was the MVP last year. If he wasn’t, we’d have had what we had last year. 

At least until they all got hurt like this year. 

the goaltending was an issue this year as well.. there just seemed like a lot of set backs. With that said, if we make the most of our off season with the assets that we currently hold etc. I'm hopeful that we can crack back into it next year if the team can stay healthy and shero doesn't sit on his hands again this summer.

7 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

the goaltending was an issue this year as well.. there just seemed like a lot of set backs. With that said, if we make the most of our off season with the assets that we currently hold etc. I'm hopeful that we can crack back into it next year if the team can stay healthy and shero doesn't sit on his hands again this summer.

I guess at some point someone will start a thread talking about who is still under contract, who is UFA and RFA, etc, and we’ll get into all of that. 

I remember being there with my old man and my older brother, Section 110 Row 3, Scott Gomez brought the Cup right along the glass right in front of us so that some of the fans could touch it, even though I was only in 3rd Grade I remember everything about that night. Can't wait till we get there again, LGD.

• Like 1

My Dad always told me growing up as a Devils fan to really appreciate making the playoffs every year.. making the finals four times in nine years.. winning it all three times.. he tried to convince me that this wasn't the norm in sports.  Being a stupid teenager, I dismissed him.

Let's just say, the past decade (minus 2012) has really given me an appreciation for just how special that mini-dynasty was.  

These really were the good old days.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

I'm sorry, but the bolded is such crap...I swear some fans would rather Shero make bad or questionable moves for the sake of doing so. 

Shero has told us time and time again how he plans to build his team, and it's preferably to assemble a group that can be a legit contender for several years.  Not a team put together with older overpriced UFAs, that maybe can make the playoffs and win a round, but clearly won't be able to compete with the legitimate top teams (like the Lightning, etc)...and will soon be saddled with bad contracts. 

He inherited so little, both at the NHL and AHL levels...he's been able to get some things done in spite of that, but he's had to try to rebuild both the big team AND the farm from damned near scratch.  I loved last year's run to the playoffs, it was an absolute blast for all of us (and the players I'm sure, especially for guys like Hall), but at the same time, I think there's a small part of Shero that hated it, because it quickly raised expectations, and forced him to temporarily abandon his plan (though I give him credit for trying to support his players with those deadline deals).  I readily admit that I thought the Devils could make the playoffs again this season, but we've now seen how much the organization still needs more depth and talent before it's truly ready to consistently contend.

But anyway, the point is the Devils weren't really at the point where overpaying a "final piece" or questionable UFA made any sense.  I think Shero would've jumped all over Tavares and/or Carlson if they were interested in coming here, but obviously in both cases neither scenario was ever a possibility.  Shero also hasn't yet built up enough of a legit prospect base in the minors to make a big deal for an established star...we're seeing how a lot of the Devils' AHLers are faring at the NHL level, and that's clearly not really where their future lies...not with NHL stiffs like Q, Lappin, etc.  The guys we're truly hoping will make a difference (like Smith and Boqvist) aren't even here yet.   

The fact is, Shero needs time.  As much as I hate watching the Devils suck and close out this season the way that they are, I don't want him propping up this group with a couple of overpriced signings so they can be a middling playoff team with no chance of really going deep.  I say start with re-signing Hall, and then see what can be done (via a trade or two) with the gaggle of picks he's stocked up on. 

And as for the thread bump...yeah, was a glorious time for sure.  And I definitely look back on that time very fondly.  I just don't ever want to get trapped celebrating past victories over and over again...I'll save that for the Rangers and their fans. 

• Like 7

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.