deadline deal

William

while i would love nieds to return to the devils i just feel the asking price maybe a bit to steep. instead i would like the devils to go after two players from the wild eric belanger who boasts a 58.9 face-off percentage an area the devils lack in currently and marek zidlicky a pp qb and a solid dman. the devils would still have to give up a prospect or two but of the lesser variety.

while i would love nieds to return to the devils i just feel the asking price maybe a bit to steep. instead i would like the devils to go after two players from the wild eric belanger who boasts a 58.9 face-off percentage an area the devils lack in currently and marek zidlicky a pp qb and a solid dman. the devils would still have to give up a prospect or two but of the lesser variety.

:koolaid:

Pandolfo-Belanger-Neidermayer

its an interesting proposition to be sure.

i've been more of a proponent for stajan to fill the center role i think the devils need but belanger could do that too (not as much offense, i don't think despite the numbers this year).

regarding bringing in a defenseman, the last couple years the devils always had a number 6 that could be pushed aside to accommodate that. assuming martin's healthy return, the devils #6 becomes mike mottau and i'm not sure the devils push him to the bench unless it is a major upgrade. unless of course it requires dealing andy greene to get zidlicky which i don't think the devils can do, both because of andy's play and just as much because of his contract for next year which actually makes him MORE valuable next year than Paul Martin at a $5MM salary.

Can I make a simple request?

Is it possible or feasible to pin a "deadline deal ideas" thread up top so that we don't get 27 threads per week on this topic.

I just get the sense that we are going to have a bunch of folks (especially newer folk) who don't search for threads and post the "so is Neids coming back?" daily.

For the record, I think Zidlicky might be a nice option. We do need to improve our transition game.

So much both offensively and defensively depends on that 1st pass. I guess it all depends on how Martin feels when he returns.

Clearly not sexy enough to elicit a response from the board but i'd much rather see a couple moves like this than a blockbuster

Perhaps the OP should have put THIS first before proposing the trade.

Alyssa_Devils.jpg

That sexy enough?

Oh, I agree with you 100%. I'd rather see a piece like the one proposed in the OP thread than a blockbuster one which can hinder the chemistry.

Scoops

Is it possible or feasible to pin a "deadline deal ideas" thread up top so that we don't get 27 threads per week on this topic.

I just get the sense that we are going to have a bunch of folks (especially newer folk) who don't search for threads and post the "so is Neids coming back?" daily.

If its alright with DM and msweet I could make one. I agree with the proposals that will be flooding in.

After seeing him play in Minny I don't think Zidlicky is a Lou type player.

Perhaps the OP should have put THIS first before proposing the trade.

Alyssa_Devils.jpg

That sexy enough?

To be honest, I think she looks like her age might be 5 to 7 years shy of her jersey number in that shot.

Are we making a run for Saku Koivu? :D I can't believe I only just found this board, so many wasted years...lol

If its alright with DM and msweet I could make one. I agree with the proposals that will be flooding in.

After seeing him play in Minny I don't think Zidlicky is a Lou type player.

A one game evaluation gives you the full depth of a player?

He's realistic for what we have to give.

what do you guys think of the devils trading for or signing Matthew Stajan?

I think for this season, the Devils are better off trading FOR Saku Koivu or Belanger (for faceoffs), then in the offseason figure it out from there.I'm not sure Stajan is a 2nd line center, and next year with Zajac and Zubrus still on 1st/3rd line ideally, that they'll going to need a 2nd line center again.

I think for this season, the Devils are better off trading FOR Saku Koivu or Belanger (for faceoffs), then in the offseason figure it out from there.I'm not sure Stajan is a 2nd line center, and next year with Zajac and Zubrus still on 1st/3rd line ideally, that they'll going to need a 2nd line center again.

the money's really not there for this next season, not with the kind of seasons that clarkson and bergfors are having.

So what are you saying? To get Saku now? I keep forgetting your stance on this.

oh i'm fine with getting a center this deadline, i just don't think the devils can do anything more than shop at the rob niedermayer aisle next off-season, or gamble with cormier or josefson if they're feeling saucy.

For what it's worth, Sheldon Souray said he's willing to waive his NTC. The Devils can't really afford him, even as a deadline pickup, since he still has two years left at $4.5M each. But his being on the market may end up affecting the asking price for someone like Scotty Nieds.

To be honest, I think she looks like her age might be 5 to 7 years shy of her jersey number in that shot.

Actually the youngest she could be is 20, that was her age the devils switched to the old red and black jerey's, gotta just love that horrible late 80's/early 90's hair and makeup.

Are we making a run for Saku Koivu? :D I can't believe I only just found this board, so many wasted years...lol