Devils Roast Ducks, 3rd Time Stanley Cup Champs!

njdevils_info

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The New Jersey Devils Unofficial Web Site Newsletters

http://njdevils.info

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The New Jersey Devils have yet again won the Stanley Cup to be the NHL Champions for third time in 9 years.

After 20 minutes of regulation, things appeared as they did in the first two playoff games. 0-0 score while still showing some great offensive chances. But one save might have given Anaheim a little more momentum then the Devils wanted to give. Short handed, the Devils Patrik Elias got the puck in the Ducks zone, and made an excellent fake-out of a forehanded shot, only to have it backhanded. But Giguere's left pad was stretched out to the post, and he blocked the shot. There was only 40 minutes left, and it was still anybody's game.

The second period was again the Devils period. As it was in Games 1 and 2, the Devils were able to score, not once but twice. First, from the player who came into the series midway through, Mike Rupp. The second goal was by the ex-Duck, Jeff Friesen. Both goals were scored by the same line, consisting of Jeff Friesen, Colin White, Scott Niedermayer, Mike Rupp, and Jamie Langenbrunner. After the first goal, one of the Devils skated to Brodeur and said ''There, we got you the lead you need.''

The third period was difficult to watch. One goal by the Ducks and they would be right back in it. One goal for the Devils would mean the Ducks were pretty much roasted. It remained 2-0 for 16 minutes, until Jeff Friesen scored again. The Devils had widened their lead, and clinched the victory.

The Devils did not have the retaliatory penalties they stupidly made in Game 6 on Saturday. The Ducks did lead in the face-off category, but not like they had in their own victories. The Devils led in shots on goal.

Joe Nieuwendyk was still out with his torn oblique muscle injury, but he dressed up to hoist the Stanley Cup. Martin Brodeur not only celebrated the win with his kids, but a shutout- his third shutout in the finals, his seventh of the 2003 playoffs. But he did not win the Con-Smyth trophy, which is awarded to the MVP of the playoffs. Mike Rupp, Martin Brodeur, and Scott Niedermayer were named the three stars of the game.

Ken Daneyko was back on the ice tonight, possibly skating in his last Stanley Cup winning game. Pat Burns returned him into the lineup tonight as a moral boost to the team, as well as the fans. 19,040 fans stood up and cheered as Daneyko played, and the extra oomph in fan moral is always good to help cheer the team on. Hopefully, the 39 year old defenseman, who is graying around the beard, will not see he last of Stanley Cups.

The Conn Smythe Trophy, which is awarded to the most valuable player in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, was awarded to Jean-Sebastien Giguere. He is only the 5th player who won the trophy on a loosing team. Although the fans booed, and I feel that it should have been awarded to Martin Brodeur, who made 3 shutouts in 4 wins, the Devils showed their respect to a man who literally brought his team to the Stanley Cup playoffs.

The rest of the awards will be awarded on Thursday, June 12, 2003 in Toronto. That will be broadcasted on television on ESPN2 from 8:00 to 9:30 PM ET.

The Devils have done it again, and have earned the title as being the most dominant hockey team in the NHL for the past 9 years.

As for this newsletter, we will send out periodic updates during the off-season just keeping you up-to-date on the latest developments with New Jersey Devils. We will also be adding some interesting items to the site during the course of the summer. Tomorrow, we will also put in place over 100 pictures of the playoffs taken by the media in our Multimedia archive. We hope you check out http://njdevils.info throughout the summer to catch the latest on the Devils and their failing Newark arena. From all of us here at the site, to the greatest fans on earth, enjoy the off-seasons!

As always,

~Kyle Bisignani

To the champions!

----------------

## BOX SCORES ##

----------------

~ Monday, June 9, 2003

~ Anaheim Mighty Ducks @ New Jersey Devils

~ Time: 8:00 PM ET

~ Venue: Continental Airlines Arena

~ Atten: 19040

http://njdevils.info/schedule/report.cgi?PO47

GOALS 1 2 3 T

Anaheim Mighty Ducks 0 0 0 0

New Jersey Devils 0 2 1 3

SHOTS ON GOAL 1 2 3 T

Anaheim Mighty Ducks 5 9 10 24

New Jersey Devils 7 12 6 25

STATISTICS Ana NJ

Total Goals 0 3

Total Assists 0 6

Total Shots 24 25

Penalties 2 1

Penalty Minutes 4 2

Penalty Kill % 100% 100%

Power Play % 0% 0%

Faceoffs Won 35 25

GOALTENDERS

Ana - Jean-Sebastien Giguere

Record: Vs NJ | Season

3-4-0 | 15-6-0

NJ - Martin Brodeur

Record: Vs Ana | Season

4-3-0 | 16-8-0

SCORING

1st Period

(No Goals This Period)

2nd Period

NJ - Mike Rupp - 2:22

Assisted by Scott Niedermayer & Colin White

NJ - Jeff Friesen - 12:18

Assisted by Mike Rupp & Scott Niedermayer

3rd Period

NJ - Jeff Friesen - 16:16

Assisted by Mike Rupp & Scott Stevens

PENALTIES

1st Period

NJ - Turner Stevenson - 17:31

2 Min - Boarding Mike Leclerc

2nd Period

Ana - Rob Niedermayer - 3:58

2 Min - Obstruction Interference of Brian Gionta

3rd Period

Ana - Mike Leclerc - 16:45

2 Min - Cross-Checking Sergei Brylin

eh, I don't do it for advertising. Just figure I'd voice my 2 cents on the game. I've been posting here for about a little less then a month now, and if no one cares to hear what I have to say, they don't have to click on the post! :)

It's just a hobby. Trust me, I make nothing on my site! I do it for the love of the Devils! :evil:

~Kyle