Russian hockey mass brawl

moustic

Congratulations, you answered your own question incorrectly.

Simple mechanics errors taking place to keep this arguement going.

If the questions is: Did a similar event take place in a game between Philly and Ottawa in 2004 the answer is YES.

If the question is: Was the game suspended due to penalties the answer is NO.

We all good now, because multiplication tables are next.

Thought I heard Darcy Verot's name. Here's some of the fallout.

PS -- December 29, 2004, there was a big brawl between the farm clubs, Philadelphia Phantoms and Binghamton Senators, here's the clip of Neil Little belly-flopping on the pile, kinda hard to forget seeing that one live. That game was ended with 8 seconds left to play, due to lack of players.

Edited by Shtikl

That, while astounding and amusing to watch on youtube, doesn't do it for me if I'm in the stands. If I got 3:19 of hockey for my ticket I'd have been pissed! I could see Rangers and Flyers fans hoping this could happen at one of their games though, especially against each other ;) 691 minutes of penalties..

Some of Jagr's post game comments:

Jagr: "I've never seen anything like this before. I have never even heard of such situations. And of course it never happened in the NHL when I was playing there. It just couldn't happen.

Why not?

Jagr: "The rules. If players fight during the warm-up or jump from the bench to the ice during a fight they can get suspended for 20 games. And it means losing a quarter of the salary. To tell you more, the suspension can be even more severe -- six months or a year. No one would like to get a one-year suspension as a result of stupid behavior."

In your opinion, why did this brawl start?

Jagr: "Because their tough guy Darcy Verot threw the puck at one of our players. Then he skated to another our player at the red line and speared him."

And how did it happen that you fought Verot? On the video there are you standing near Verot and in the next moment he punches you in the face. As you were not ready for this punch you fell down. Then you get up and got a grip on him. It looked like Greco-Roman wrestling.

Jagr: "If you're a tough guy you should respect the honor code. There were people fighting around us and I was holding Verot. Then he told me: "Ok, we are done. No fighting". I released his hand and in a second he punched me in the face. I didn't see that coming and that's why I fell down."

That's just mean

Jagr: "Yes. But this is what kind of a person Verot is."

from http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/khl/jaromir-jagr-ive-never-seen-a-fight-like-this-before-102.html)

At the 2:15 mark of the video he's the mullet that get dropped like a sack of potatoes

Yeah, good call. For some reason when I was watching that I thought that was # 61, but it's definitely Jagr.

The team in red was told if they pull a stunt like that again they'll be booted from the KHL altogether.

Both teams have forfeited the game and were fined one million rubles. That's an American equivalent of $33,500.

Since it was determined that -- in playground parlance -- the Vityaz team started the fight, the franchise was fined an additional three million rubles ($100,750) for "harming the reputation of the KHL, its partners and Russian hockey in general." Vityaz was also "formally warned of a possible expulsion from the KHL in the event of a recurrence of similar violations," according to the KHL announcement.

Head coaches Alexei Yarushkin of Vityaz and Igor Nikitin of Avangard were each fined 50,000 rubles. Four players, including former American Hockey League enforcer Brandon Sugden and former Tampa Bay Lightning first round pick Alexander Svitov, were fined 150,000 rubles. Five Vityaz players, including Sugden, and one player from Avangard were suspended for one game.

Jaromir Jagr, the future Hockey Hall of Famer and two-time member of the Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins in the early '90s, plays for Avangard and was forced to participate in a rare fight.

How is Vityaz, called an "embarrassment" to the KHL by Avangard's team president, responding in the wake of the brawl? The team has signed former NHL enforcer Josh Gratton and brought back notorious NHL fighter Chris Simon.

from http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/10/instigating-hockey-brawl-costs-russian-team-four-million-rubles/

This isn't even his first Stint in Russia. He's already established a bad reputation for himself over there,

One thing kinda amusing, the only ones not fighting are the 4 goalies, look at that, 2 by the one net, and the backups I guess over by the bench talking and pointing and watching. Probably saying hey this isnt worth it.

If you can speak Russian, you can read their lips....

"Yuri, are nice pads. Are they strong like bull?"

"Da, and fierce as bride from Novogorsk"

"But not as hairy"

"Da"

Edited by jim777