Langenbrunner named U.S. Olympic captain

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/langenbrunner_named_u.s._olympic_captain/

Parise, Rafalski, Brown, Suter alternate captains

In Vancouver next month, Devils captain Jamie Langenbrunner will try to lead the U.S. to its first Olympic gold in men’s ice hockey since then.

As expected, Langenbrunner was named the captain of the 2010 U.S. Olympic team in a teleconference this afternoon.

...Getting more serious Burke, who played for Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello at Providence College, said he wanted that Devils/Lamoriello influence on his team.

“A large part of it is that when we were going through the selection process and the captaincy, that kept coming up,” Burke said. “You know, ‘This is a guy that played in the New Jersey system. Brian Rafalski cut his teeth as a Devil. Jamie Langenbrunner has gone through that whole process, watching guys check their ego at the door and do their job. So, yes, a lot of this team selection and captaincy selection is a tribute to Lou Lamoriello, who, of course, has been a giant with USA Hockey. So, no question that’s a factor.”

Burke said the selection of Langenbrunner as the captain was an easy one.

“We’ve had some difficult decisions and some long discussions and some vitriolic, profanity-laced arguments through this selection process, but the one thing we didn’t have any kind of a fight on was picking our captain,” Burke said. “Jamie is a serving NHL captain. A number of our players are, but he’s serving on an organization that’s respected throughout the league and he has been a model of consistency, versatility and this is a guy that does just about everything well on an ice surface and lots of things well in the dressing room.”

No.—Name/Hometown/NHL Team

GOALTENDERS (3)

39—Ryan Miller/East Lansing, Mich./Buffalo Sabres

29—Jonathan Quick/Hamden, Conn./Los Angeles Kings

30—Tim Thomas/Flint, Mich./Boston Bruins

DEFENSEMEN (7)

6—Erik Johnson/Bloomington, Minn./St. Louis Blues

3—Jack Johnson/Ann Arbor, Mich./Los Angeles Kings

8—Mike Komisarek/West Islip, N.Y./Toronto Maple Leafs

7—Paul Martin/Elk River, Minn./Devils

44—Brooks Orpik/Amherst, N.Y./Pittsburgh Penguins

28—Brian Rafalski/Dearborn, Mich./Detroit Red Wings

20—Ryan Suter/Madison, Wis./Nashville Predators

FORWARDS (13)

42—David Backes/Blaine, Minn./St. Louis Blues

32—Dustin Brown/Ithaca, N.Y./Los Angeles Kings

24—Ryan Callahan/Rochester, N.Y./Rangers

23—Chris Drury/Trumbull, Conn./Rangers

88—Patrick Kane/Buffalo, N.Y./Chicago Blackhawks

17—Ryan Kesler/Livonia, Mich./Vancouver Canucks

81—Phil Kessel/Madison, Wis./Toronto Maple Leafs

15—Jamie Langenbrunner/Cloquet, Minn./Devils

12—Ryan Malone/Pittsburgh, Pa./Tampa Bay Lightning

9—Zach Parise/Prior Lake, Minn./Devils

16—Joe Pavelski/Plover, Wis./San Jose Sharks

54—Bobby Ryan/Cherry Hill, N.J./Anaheim Ducks

26—Paul Stastny/St. Louis, Mo./Colorado Avalanche

I think this team has a chance to make a splash. Canada has the star power but you need more than that to win. I like USA's roster and it's nice to see Devils in high places, says good things about the organization for sure.

Absolutely. I think they're the really big contender, Russia and Canada aside.

Congrats to Langs! :cheers:

For some reason, I don't like the Russian Team (maybe its the Kovlachuk stigma) and the Canada's have far too much pressure on them. I am more worried about the Czech's. It will be interesting to see Jagr on the world stage again.

Tremendous words by Burke. And I'm very happy for Langs (and Zach, too), he really impresses me this season, as he did last year. Also, Patty is the captain for the Czech team and Marty, while not officialy a captain due to the position he plays, is a known leader for his team, too. That tells you a lot about the quality of the Devils.