GDT: Devils @ Rangers

MadDog2020

A concern that I have not seen mentioned. Andy Greene's last shift was at 17:15 of the 3rd and only lasted about 30 seconds. He did not see the ice in the closing moments or at all in overtime. The broadcast nor TG made any mention of it so far. I hope hes healthy as there isnt any reason for him to get rested then. He only had 23:30 of ice up till that point.

The problem this created was lots of icetime for Johnny Oduya, who continues his trend of up and down play, both were seen in single shifts tonight.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were playing for the shootout with Mottau and White out there a lot in the OT. There was a lot of safe play there.

Both goalies were great, but there were a lot of easy saves for both guys. I was actually disappointed that the game had very little snarl.

Glad someone noticed. I felt Lundqvist had more saves on scrambles while Marty off shots with no one getting to rebounds. Yeah. There was no edge but it didn't need it cause the 2 teams just played hockey. The Devs got away with a couple of poor line changes. Obvious calls. Other than that, it was a tremendous game, epitomizing why this rivalry is so good.

Both me and Has had takes over at Battle. I'm going to link 'em up for ya 'll.

Late in the second period, I recall thinking 'oh my god, this game is going to be scoreless going into the shootout'. Yet ironically tonight might have been the biggest indictment of the shootout yet. I'm not as steadfast against the shootout like Derek or other purists, but tonight was really one of the few times I thought, 'why can't this game just end in a tie?'. Somewhat fittingly none of the first seven shooters scored, increasing the tension tenfold and sending the shootout into sudden death.

Forget All The Analysis

A grand total of ninety-six shots were taken through regulation and four-on-four overtime. Not a single one went in or struck a goalpost/crossbar. This doesn't even include the offerings that missed or got blocked by dedicated players from each side who competed fiercely for every inch of ice. Yeah. Over a hundred were attempted without any success because MB30 and King Henrik wouldn't allow one to get by them. If you love the sport, this was absolutely tremendous. Each tried their best but neither budged, taking it the distance where a skill competition was needed to decide a winner.

Marty-Henrik duel one for ages

WHAT.A.GAME.

Im sure if we had been on the losing side it would sting quite a lot but we didn't.

:evil::evil::evil::evil:

The queen is a excelent goaltender, but his style is very robotic. Where as Brodeur is flinging himself all over the place, its fantastic to watch. They really are the polar oposite in terms of style and on arch rival teams it makes the game so much better.

Wont forget that one in a while.

i really can't believe how many devils fans there were in the building tonight - had to be between 10-15% which is a good percentage all things considered.

thoughts on madison square garden from the 400 section:

sight lines are terrible, as i've read, and i was far away from the action.

the other rangers fans in the section were straight out of a neil simon play with accents and speech. amusing things: they think langenbrunner is a terrible captain for team USA and made fun of that all night. they also think avery really gets a raw deal from the refs.

anyway what i really saw from the 400 section is that the devils really, really need a center. they are great along the boards and stuff, but generally good playoff teams don't let you win there a lot. if the devils can't enter the zone with the puck or make a crisp pass as the first man in, they are going to have to do a lot to both draw penalties and get quality scoring chances. the good news is that the rangers can be beat along the boards all night. this team really misses dainius zubrus, it's good to hear that he is skating again.

In bold: the Ranger faithful, by and large, really are a dumb and detestable fanbase. There's exceptions, but the majority of the ones I encounter continue to act and sound EXACTLY as you described.

Didn't get to see this one, as I have DirecTV (no Versus), so I watched NHL on the Fly...for some reason, instead of going to the Devils-Rangers more often, they insisted on going to games like the Flyers-Stars blowout, and on the rare occasions they actually mentioned the Devs-Rags, they took the opportunity to lament the lack of scoring in the game. Weak.

As for Zubrus, hopefully he feels like doing the boardwork more than 50-60% of the time when he comes back. Would be nice.

I also love the fact that Lundqvist got served glove side for the winner*. He played well but he is a fvcking HATER like no other. The Devils aren't better they're just consistent. GFY Lundqvist.

As much as I loved Lundqvist being "beaten", and as much I'll always take a Devils win over the Rangers, it does kind of bother me that the Devils couldn't put a real goal past him. I do think that Lundqvist does get inside the Devils' heads, and last night did nothing to change that, if you really think about it.

As for his comments, he's pretty much spot-on. To a fan, we all love what's happened so far (how could we not?), we're all becoming Cup-hopeful, and what they've achieved to this point is even more amazing when factoring in all of the injuries. But are the Devils really an elite team that's so much better than everyone else? Come playoff time will they be a sure-fire bet to win a series against any given opponent? I know, fans can point out that the Devils are 4-0 against the Penguins as an example to counterpoint, but I'm not sure how much that feat means in mid-January. Lundqvist is right, in that what the Devils have done best is avoided the slumps that have affected teams like his own, the Flyers, the Penguins, etc. The Devils been remarkably consistent this season.

I gotta admit one thing...even if Lundqvist is right, I don't necessarly want to hear it from HIM.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

A concern that I have not seen mentioned. Andy Greene's last shift was at 17:15 of the 3rd and only lasted about 30 seconds. He did not see the ice in the closing moments or at all in overtime. The broadcast nor TG made any mention of it so far. I hope hes healthy as there isnt any reason for him to get rested then. He only had 23:30 of ice up till that point.

The problem this created was lots of icetime for Johnny Oduya, who continues his trend of up and down play, both were seen in single shifts tonight.

TG added this to his last blog:

Some of you asked why defenseman Andy Greene did not play in overtime. He was hit and then punched in the head by Ryan Callahan in the right corner of the Devils

I was actually going to go to the game last night and break in my new Elias Jersey, but got backed up at work.

Great game. I believe Lunqvist IS in the Devils heads, but we beat them anyway.

But I the thing that gets lost is that for the first time in New York Hockey history all three New York area team goalies had shut-outs in the same night.

tri mentioned it earlier but yes, the devils really need a center.

zubrus' return will certainly help. i very much believe he's going to be put with elias and rolston. if rolston continues to be non-productive, you'll see bergfors move there and rolston will play with neidermayer/mccamond and clarkson.

it's already been written in other threads but belanger/stajan/koivu really makes too much sense. 2 of the devils 4 centers (neidermayer/mccamond) should be on the 4th line.

Anyone see Callahan's Oscar Clip as he freaked out and hit the ice after Rolston "elbowed" him? Ridiculous.

My co-worker, who is a Rangers fan, says he is fine with that loss last night as long as Callahan NEVER dives like that again.

It was pretty obvious, and I think Callahan did it more than once last night.

Does anyone know why McAmmond was limited in playing time and got taken from Elias and Rolston's line? He was doing so well with them. Jacques has such a stiffy for Nieds.

because he had a terrible game and was turning the puck over all night? mcammond is as much a 2nd line center as i am, and it's finally showing. zubrus should be back by this time next week.

Edited by Triumph

My co-worker, who is a Rangers fan, says he is fine with that loss last night as long as Callahan NEVER dives like that again.

It was pretty obvious, and I think Callahan did it more than once last night.

I definitely think much differently of him after seeing his performance last night. He's a good player. And I understand that if he was able to get a power play out of any of those dives, it would have given his team a good chance to get a goal... but still, it's childish and I would go as far as saying he should be fined for how obvious that was.

because he had a terrible game and was turning the puck over all night? mcammond is as much a 2nd line center as i am, and it's finally showing. zubrus should be back by this time next week.

I hope you're right about Zubrus but the team is on an away trip and it is going to be very difficult for him to get practices in right now.

zubrus' return will certainly help. i very much believe he's going to be put with elias and rolston. if rolston continues to be non-productive, you'll see bergfors move there and rolston will play with neidermayer/mccamond and clarkson.

Bad news for Elias and Rolston then.

Poor Rolston...he was looking good for a while, but now has put up just 23 points in 43 GP this season. Yeah, seeing Rollie drop in favor of Bergfors isn't going to come as much of a surprise at this rate.

yeah elias and rolston should go with all the other better centers on the team

That's not what I wrote, though I've seen enough of Zubrus to know he's not going help much in that role either. He's offensive kryptonite.

Lou doesn't have to do it tomorrow with the cushion the Devils have built up in the division, but I'm hoping by the deadline there's someone else centering those two...the wish list has already been discussed.