Formal Ticket Policy Re: 1/8 vs. Lightning

bdubdevs

If someone bought secondary, their concern should be that person they bought from. Not at all the Devils. Of course the secondary buyer SHOULD get the ticket instead of the STH, but again, they didn't buy the ticket in a way the Devils condone. I don't think it should be a reward to the STH who sold it either. But I don't think they're going to keep track of which STH went to the game, which ones sold the ticket, or which didn't even go. There will probably be STH's who didn't sell their ticket, nor go to the game, that will be getting free tickets. They probably figure it's best to give the free ticket to the STH who bought the seat in the first place. A STH would be rewarded before a regular fan any day of the week anyway. So is that really something to get pissed about? Like it's something new. You can't say "I bought my ticket from someone who wasn't the Devils" and expect the Devils to say fine you win. A STH could have went to the game, but not kept his stub. Now he doesn't get his ticket. A regular ticket buyer who didn't keep his ticket isn't getting a ticket either. (honestly who doesn't keep their tickets?) But since the STH is a STH, he is getting the ticket even without the stub. Since TicketExchange is the only way the Devils can track where that ticket really went, that is the only season ticket they are honoring.

There are many scenarios where it would be hard for someone who bought tickets from someone else other than the Devils to get the free tickets they are rightfully entitled to. What is all this talk with buying tickets "in a way the Devils condone"? Too bad that I did not buy a ticket from the box office, that does not mean that I should get screwed. Again, there would be nothing for them to keep track of if they just made everyone (STH's included) return the tickets to the box office to exchange them. If you went to the game and do not have the ticket (for a game when the lights went out and you had to know there would be some reparations made), then you are just foolish.

i'll explain this in a way that even your emotional rants can understand

you did not buy the tickets directly from the devils. the devils did not get a dime of your money. if you did i can understand wanting a game in return.

you purchased tickets that do not directly belong to you from a sth who already purchased them from the devils. you are entitled to nothing from the devils. your only recourse is to go through the sth you bought them from. why should the devils be liable and owe tickets to someone that did not purchase the tickets directly from them?

OK, so what if I bought another item from someone where there would be no documentation/paper trail of the sale? How about an Apple Macbook Pro laptop for instance?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll explain this in a way that even your emotional rants can understand

you did not buy the tickets directly from the devils. the devils did not get a dime of your money. if you did i can understand wanting a game in return.

you purchased tickets that do not directly belong to you from a sth who already purchased them from the devils. you are entitled to nothing from the devils. your only recourse is to go through the sth you bought them from. why should the devils be liable and owe tickets to someone that did not purchase the tickets directly from them?

What do you not understand? It does not matter WHERE I bought the tickets. The fact is, I have the tickets. The Devils got the money of the season ticket holder, who in turn sold the tickets. For this particular game, I owned those tickets. I sat in them, and I have the tickets in MY possession. I do not see how anyone could argue that exchanging the tickets at the box office for ALL TICKETS would be the fairest way.

there would be nothing for them to keep track of if they just made everyone (STH's included) return the tickets to the box office to exchange them. I

There is more of a chance that the STH was at the game and didn't keep his stub, then there is a chance of someone else being at the game and not keeping their stub.

OK, so what if I bought another item from someone where there would be no documentation/paper trail of the sale? How about an Apple Macbook Pro laptop for instance?

Are you 12?

Hah, anyone who thinks the Devils have altruistic reasons in mind for this is either nieve or works for the team's PR. If the Devils wanted to be fair they would make it a straight up redeem the stub at the box office, first come first serve. Baseball does after all, they don't seem to be concerned with all this secondary buyer nonsense.

Why didn't the Devils do this? Simple, because they wouldn't be able to control what quantities of tickets went out for what games if they let everyone else get their choice. They can redeem the right person through TicketExchange because it's controlled by them but can't do it through other sites because it's not.

This was supposed to be about rewarding the people who were inconvenienced Friday, not the ones who weren't there.

Edited by NJDevs26

Hah, anyone who thinks the Devils have altruistic reasons in mind for this is either nieve or works for the team's PR. If the Devils wanted to be fair they would make it a straight up redeem the stub at the box office, first come first serve. Baseball does after all, they don't seem to be concerned with all this secondary buyer nonsense.

Why didn't the Devils do this? Simple, because they wouldn't be able to control what quantities of tickets went out for what games if they let everyone else get their choice. They can redeem the right person through TicketExchange because it's controlled by them but can't do it through other sites because it's not.

This was supposed to be about rewarding the people who were inconvenienced Friday, not the ones who weren't there.

At least there are some sensible people on this board. Damn, sometimes I think people just want to disagree just to argue. I do not see how anyone can say this policy is fair.

Here's the way I see it from the Devils perspective. A STH was at the game, he doesn't have his ticketstub. We need to keep this guy happy, give him a free ticket. Oh and this other random guy doesn't have his stub either, he probably goes to 1 game a year and bad mouths the Devils anyway. Should we really care about him buying any more tickets? After all, he would probably only buy 1 more this year and with the way he's bitching I'd rather him be a rangers fan anyway.

Let me edit this...I started speaking from my point of view instead of the Devils! What I meant was, I'd rather threecups be a rangers fan anyway.

Edited by Vic Rattlehead18

There is more of a chance that the STH was at the game and didn't keep his stub, then there is a chance of someone else being at the game and not keeping their stub.

Huh? I do not get what you are trying to say. BUT, if they wanted...the could keep track of the season tickets redeemed fairly easily I would think. If you went to the game and did not have your stub for whatever reason....they should be able to see after a week time period or so that this particular season seat is unspoken for in regards to the freebie. Then they could go from there...

Here's the way I see it from the Devils perspective. A STH was at the game, he doesn't have his ticketstub. We need to keep this guy happy, give him a free ticket. Oh and this other random guy doesn't have his stub either, he probably goes to 1 game a year and bad mouths the Devils anyway. Should we really care about him buying any more tickets? After all, he would probably only buy 1 more this year and with the way he's bitching I'd rather him be a rangers fan anyway.

What percentage of STH's AT THIS PARTICULAR GAME do you really think DO NOT have their stubs?!?!? 3-5% if that? Give me a break. When the lights went out, you had to know something would be done. Wouldn't it make sense to hold onto the ticket? MY EDIT AFTER YOUR EDIT: "Let me edit this...I started speaking from my point of view instead of the Devils! What I meant was, I'd rather threecups be a rangers fan anyway." You rather me be a Ranger fan because I am bitching about getting screwed out of tickets that I should rightfully get? You are comical.

Edited by ThreeCups

Huh? I do not get what you are trying to say. BUT, if they wanted...the could keep track of the season tickets redeemed fairly easily I would think. If you went to the game and did not have your stub for whatever reason....they should be able to see after a week time period or so that this particular season seat is unspoken for in regards to the freebie. Then they could go from there...

What percentage of STH's AT THIS PARTICULAR GAME do you really think DO NOT have their stubs?!?!? 3-5% if that? Give me a break. When the lights went out, you had to know something would be done. Wouldn't it make sense to hold onto the ticket? MY EDIT AFTER YOUR EDIT: "Let me edit this...I started speaking from my point of view instead of the Devils! What I meant was, I'd rather threecups be a rangers fan anyway." You rather me be a Ranger fan because I am bitching about getting screwed out of tickets that I should rightfully get? You are comical.

You are right. They are your tickets. But they are not your seats. You paid for the tickets. You did not pay for the seats. When the person you bought the ticket from gets his free tickets, you need to contact that person and get your tickets. I'm really trying to think of a way to explain this so your 11 year old mind would understand...But unfortunately I can't think of anything.

You having that ticket is having something that you shouldn't have had. You bought it. You're the sucker. You lose. Why? Because the STH who has those seats won't give you the free ticket. That doesn't mean to not bring the stub you have to the box office to try to get a free ticket. Just don't act like the 11 year old you probably are and start crying and demand a manager and make a scene. Just please, after you do so, don't ever come to another Devils game again.

First of all if the sth doesn't have their stub, that's their own fault.

Secondly it's not consistent. While you claim they reward people who bought tickets through TicketExchange as opposed to other outlets, I can counter they're rewarding people who sell tickets through other outlets as opposed to TicketExchange.

And I'm saying this as someone who benefited from selling their tickets, I have no axe to grind here. It's just bizarre the way this is being handled. The primary concern should be about who was there that night, not who gives the Devils more money. There are plenty of other ways to reward sth's.

Edited by NJDevs26

any legit sale of consumer goods has a paper trail unless you are buying it from out the back of a van. the paper trail for the ticket begins and ends with the person who owns and paid for the tickets from the devils not who sits in the seats. thats who the devils owe the replacement tickets to. even with paper proof of purchase from the sth you bought the tickets from you did not purchase the tickets from the devils so the devils owe you nothing.

Again, whoever now holds the Lightning tickets was the END USER. THEY should be given compensation. Possession is 9/10ths of the law. But in the case of the Devils it means nothing. I am done going back and forth about this. The only people who would agree with this policy are Devils employees or season ticket holders who sold their tickets by means other than ticketexchange, and want the freebies for themselves.

First of all if the sth doesn't have their stub, that's their own fault.

Secondly it's not consistent. While you claim they reward people who bought tickets through TicketExchange as opposed to other outlets, I can counter they're rewarding people who sell tickets through other outlets as opposed to TicketExchange.

And I'm saying this as someone who benefited from selling their tickets, I have no axe to grind here. It's just bizarre the way this is being handled. The primary concern should be about who was there that night, not who gives the Devils more money. There are plenty of other ways to reward sth's.

I'm not saying they're rewarding people who bought from ticketexchange. I'm saying that's the only outlet the Devils can track. I agree it's weird how they're handling it. There probably are better ways of doing it too. But I also don't disagree with the way they handling it either. And in a world run by money, it is about who gives them more money.

You are right. They are your tickets. But they are not your seats. You paid for the tickets. You did not pay for the seats. When the person you bought the ticket from gets his free tickets, you need to contact that person and get your tickets. I'm really trying to think of a way to explain this so your 11 year old mind would understand...But unfortunately I can't think of anything.

You having that ticket is having something that you shouldn't have had. You bought it. You're the sucker. You lose. Why? Because the STH who has those seats won't give you the free ticket. That doesn't mean to not bring the stub you have to the box office to try to get a free ticket. Just don't act like the 11 year old you probably are and start crying and demand a manager and make a scene. Just please, after you do so, don't ever come to another Devils game again.

OK, but I paid for the "tickets" for THAT game, so I am entitled to the "tickets" for the free game. "You having that ticket is having something that you shouldn't have had. You bought it. You're the sucker." Since when is the STH the ONLY person who "should have" that particular ticket? I am 12 so I will need to ride my bicycle there. I am not going to even bother going to the box office, the Devils will be getting my phone call tomorrow.

why don't you just cry finders keepers losers weepers too? possession is not 9/10th because it can be represented the tickets you are holding belongs to someone else in a court of law. in this situation by holding the tickets in your possession it gives you a non-represented right to possession. in other words if i ask you to hold my jacket you can't claim you own the jacket simply becuase you are asked to hold it.

I didn't mean it literally. There is a big difference between buying season tickets from someone and having a right to the free tickets and holding someone's jacket and claiming ownership.

even if you bought the entire season tickets from someone unless the tickets are placed in your name you do not own the right to the seat and you have a non represented right of posession. the devils do not care who sits in the seat they care about who owns it. the ticket for the game is a license to attend the event to sit in the seat. the license can be transferred but the ownership can not.

So why cannot I get the "license" to the free game? I am not into semantics. I do not care what you call it. I just want the tickets to the other game, end of story.

even if you bought the entire season tickets from someone unless the tickets are placed in your name you do not own the right to the seat and you have a non represented right of posession. the devils do not care who sits in the seat they care about who owns it. the ticket for the game is a license to attend the event to sit in the seat. the license can be transferred but the ownership can not.

exactly. If he has the tickets but they're not under his name. The devils would have no way of contacting him because they don't know who he is. Even if his seat won like a jersey on fan appreciation day and he wasnt there. They would have to go to the person whose name is registered to those seats. And it will be up to him to contact the other person.

So why cannot I get the "license" to the free game? I am not into semantics. I do not care what you call it. I just want the tickets to the other game, end of story.

greedy little fxck

This is a no brainer, those who have stubs for the game in question should get their choice of the make up games on a first come first serve basis. This has nothing to do with STH's and how people bought their tickets and everything to do with the person who showed up, paid for parking, paid for food (and the tickets mind you) only to not see a full hockey game as they were promised.

The ticket is a contract, if you own it you get to see a game. It doesn't matter how you obtain it, you don't need silly car analogies or talk about "owning" seats. You have the ticket, you are entitled to a game period. No game means you are entitled to how ever the Devils choose to make it up, not the seller.

And really Vic your whole argument is fundamentally flawed, you say the Devils want to discourage secondary selling, or that they don't approve of it yet those sellers are the very ones who stand to benefit while those STH who sell on the ticket exchange "the right way" don't.

Big mistake by the Devils, they should have really taken the time to get this right. I hope everyone who has a stub from the game get's reimbursed properly. I would be irate, regardless of how or from whom I purchased the tickets.

Edited by squishyx

I'm not really sure what all this fuss is over. I think the whole point of this "free game tickets" policy was to do right by the people that sat around for an hour and change while waiting to see if the lights came on. If a sth sold his/her seat and wasn't sitting there waiting for the game to continue why should they be given tickets to a game they already have other tickets to? Yes technically it's their "seat" but thats not the point of this whole thing. The point is to take care of the people who actually went to the game.

the ticket is not a contract it is a license for admission into the event.

It doesn't matter how you want to view or call a piece of paper. The point is, if you own it, according to what is written on it, you are entitled to a hockey game. No hockey game means that any reimbursement should fall to you, the person who is in possession of said ticket.

It doesn't matter how you want to view or call a piece of paper. The point is, if you own it, according to what is written on it, you are entitled to a hockey game. No hockey game means that any reimbursement should fall to you, the person who is in possession of said ticket.

Ahhhh....common sense has arrived! :lol:

not if you bought it from a non-official party

I think this is just more evidence (whichever way you want to take it) that the heart of the Devils Organization's concern lies with making sure the STH's are taken care of and satisfied. Most importantly, that they re-up for next year. Its obvious that beyond that, they have little concern for the small dollar fan buying tickets to one off games here and there via secondary markets.

They have no affiliation w/Stubhub or any other secondary vendor, and since that type of person seems more obliged to purchase from those markets (for whatever reasons good or bad) rather than the box office or become a STH or partial plan holder - it does them little good to "chase" that consumer. They don't have his/her dollar. The energy is better spent chasing more consumers with larger luxury $$$ budgets.

While it seems that this could have been handled better, they did at least go beyond just the "come to the 2cnd half of a losing game".

In the end, people went to a SE game against a weak opponent, it wasn't the Devils fault that the lights went out - things happen - there's little precedent for this.

I think those folks looking to turn a TB game into a division rival or star-based team are asking a little much of the organization.

not if you bought it from a non-official party

That's not how the law works. Otherwise it would be illegal to resell tickets. If a STH sells a ticket, they have sold the rights to sit in that seat for that event. They can't go to the box office and say, "hey, I'm a STH, this is my seat... I have the right to sit here because this guy bought his ticket from a non-official party".

I can see both sides of this, though. On one hand, fans did get the opportunity to see a whole hockey game for the price of their ticket. However it was not completely on the scheduled date, meaning some fans probably wouldn't have been able to make the 2nd half even if they wanted to. It's really a matter of semantics: whether the free game is a "reimbursement" or more like a "make-up gift". If you consider it a reimbursement, the people who attended the game, regardless of where the got the tickets, are entitled to it. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. If the tickets were more expensive, I could see the Devils getting sued over this.