Mottau is awful!

cubanjd305

I too want to see what Frasier is able to do later in games.

Mottau HAS been awful this year. Many mistakes, sometimes more than the team can handle and there's pretty much no more room for improvement with him. At times it seems he thinks his job is secure. Maybe giving Frasier more minutes will bring him back to his former gritty self....but if Martin returned tomorrow, I'd have a very tough time making a case for Mottau over Fraser to scratched or sent down.

Many mistakes, like a completely needless boarding 5 minute major that almost cost the game.

For those thinking that he's "secure with his job" , I actually talked to this dude a week ago in PHX for a brief minute.

Here's the exchange:

Me: "Nice to see another MASS boy in the lineup. Keep it up"

Motts: "I'm just trying to do everything I can to stay here"

Here's a quick look (and my take) at over taxed defense, all of which are feeling the effects of too many minutes:

Salvador: Good blocks, but getting turned around on the boards a lot. He scored 2 goals one costs us, the other saved us. Even exchange

Greene: I think this kid has got more, but where has he gone? Regardless of the rest of his perfromance this season - he will be remembered as Scott Neids #2 apparently. Good news is that his defensive play is markedly improved, but he still needs to become consistent. I'm feeling more confident that this kid could be a great 2/3/4 man but not a superstar. I'm not quite ready to jettison Martin or overlook other options because he's manning the blueline. I think his 2 biggest issues are that he's tired and the word is out about him in the NHL that he can shoot a puck - so he's being covered more.

White: Free Pass, Free Pass, Free Pass. I like the guy, but if I had a nickel for everytime he kills someone at the blueline at the expense of coverage. Most of which leaves his partner to take a lot of the blame on this board while he gets off scott free.

Fraser: Great, he fights, but he has yet to prove he can handle important minutes - and he's put his share of pucks in the net. Sorry I don't see Dano in him yet. Can we afford to give him more minutes in a playoff situation while he strives to play a consistent game. Not saying no - but - He has yet to prove it.

Oduya: This guy is looking better as of late but still needs to find his game in a BIG way. He looks completely lost of confidence.

Mottau: Is what he is, slow but smart. The one thing I'll give this guy is you know what you will get - consistency - you can bet on it. HE won't pan out to be a superstar, but for a 6/7 defenseman making 5k, you could do a lot worse. He's seen some important game time in 3 seasons and some playoffs - something that you can't say about many 6/7 men.

Edited by DevilinLA

White: Free Pass, Free Pass, Free Pass. I like the guy, but if I had a nickel for everytime he kills someone at the blueline at the expense of coverage. Most of which leaves his partner to take a lot of the blame on this board while he gets off scott free.

Free pass? If I had a penny for every time White has gotten bashed on message boards all over the internet since 2001 I could buy out Pando's contract. If anything everyone's finally laid off him the last year or so, maybe because he came back from the eye thing to become a top four defenseman again so people appreciate him more.

And Mottau has been bad this year, that's not bashing him that's just fact. Favorable contract or no favorable contract. It doesn't diminish what he's done for us the prior two years but for whatever reason (losing a step he couldn't afford to lose?) he's been scary most of this season.

So has Oduya but he's gotten bashed too. Fraser's not the answer though, he's made his share of rookie mistakes even in limited minutes. If Martin's return doesn't stabilize the D or Martin doesn't return at all, Lou's going to make another Havelid-type trade (gasp).

There's a reason why this team's win percentage drops dramatically every time White leaves the lineup for an extended stretch. I'm not sure exactly what that reason is, but it probably means he doesn't suck as bad as a lot of us think he does.

And Mottau is an average defenseman playing above-average defenseman minutes. What do you want from the guy? :horse:

Many mistakes, like a completely needless boarding 5 minute major that almost cost the game.

For those thinking that he's "secure with his job" , I actually talked to this dude a week ago in PHX for a brief minute.

Here's the exchange:

Me: "Nice to see another MASS boy in the lineup. Keep it up"

Motts: "I'm just trying to do everything I can to stay here"

Here's a quick look (and my take) at over taxed defense, all of which are feeling the effects of too many minutes:

Salvador: Good blocks, but getting turned around on the boards a lot. He scored 2 goals one costs us, the other saved us. Even exchange

Greene: I think this kid has got more, but where has he gone? Regardless of the rest of his perfromance this season - he will be remembered as Scott Neids #2 apparently. Good news is that his defensive play is markedly improved, but he still needs to become consistent. I'm feeling more confident that this kid could be a great 2/3/4 man but not a superstar. I'm not quite ready to jettison Martin or overlook other options because he's manning the blueline. I think his 2 biggest issues are that he's tired and the word is out about him in the NHL that he can shoot a puck - so he's being covered more.

Fraser: Great, he fights, but he has yet to prove he can handle important minutes - and he's put his share of pucks in the net. Sorry I don't see Dano in him yet. Can we afford to give him more minutes in a playoff situation while he strives to play a consistent game. Not saying no - but - He has yet to prove it.

Oduya: This guy is looking better as of late but still needs to find his game in a BIG way. He looks completely lost of confidence.

Mottau: Is what he is, slow but smart. The one thing I'll give this guy is you know what you will get - consistency - you can bet on it. HE won't pan out to be a superstar, but for a 6/7 defenseman making 5k, you could do a lot worse. He's seen some important game time in 3 seasons and some playoffs - something that you can't say about many 6/7 men.

I'm not NOT criticizing White or Salvador or Oduya (really needs to step it up) for that matter. With Fraser, well, you just said what I said, but unless he gets to play more minutes in the third period we won't know.

Look, I'm not hating on Mottau. Up until this season I pretty much loved the guy, his tenacity and hard work. Hopefully it is because he is tired because of all the minutes, tired physically and mentally for playing so much. We'll have to wait and see if he improves when Martin comes back completely

Fvcking Awful does not even describe Mottau (-2 tonight in Ottawa so far...) at this point! He is flat out terrible and cannot play defense infront of Brodeur. He is a statue infront of Brodeur. He is this years havelid on this team and needs to finally go!

I just loved the pass he made to the point for Ottawa's second goal

• 2 weeks later...

The fact this guy is on the penalty kill when he does nothing well, is a joke.

Strong on his feet, able to clear the front of the net, NOPE.

Clears pucks well once he gets control in the zone, NOPE.

Learns from mistakes in his own zone and does not repeat them over and over and over again, NOPE.

Yeah lets put him out there to kill a penalty, good coaching and general managing men.

Trading for one defenseman is not enough, Green is not all that much better in his own zone than the siv that is Mottau, if either one of them are more then your 5 or 6 d, this team is not winning anything.

Mottau is the biggest bargain on the team other than Parise, he's can fill in anywhere and do a good job. Hating on Mottau is a waste of time, you're essentially attacking the Salary Cap/Team Revenue streams and its limitations on the Devils' roster. He's given the team far beyond his salary since he's been here.

You can't make Mike the scapegoat, but he can't skate at this level. Bring on Corrente. Our "D" needs to start putting guys on their arses near the net. If we go short, we go short. Laying lumber and making guys pay to score from 3 feet out is a necessity. As a team, we are incredibly weak on the puck.

He looked awful on the Flyers third goal. Was that him on the second goal too on the 2-on-1? I can't remember. But that third goal... I mean come on. Don't weakly poke for the puck, get in there and get the puck or block the obvious pass right to the front of the net. That was terrible.

Yup that was #27---Hockey 101--- give the goalie the shooter---especially since the pass was going to Carter.

whiyte and Mottau are awful together, Greene seems to have hit a wall, Fraser is not ready for playoff hockey.. this defense is a mess...

Dumb and Dumber...dumb and dumber DUMB AND DUMBER!!!

I can't stand Mottau's stupid freakin lost look on his face all the time. Colin White should know better!!!

I CAN'T STAND WATCHING THESE GUYS!!!!

ALSO WTF is with the anemic PP?

No ground gained tonight and some lost to Flyers.

I hope we don't see this collection of talent(offensive) go to waste like when we had Gilmour and Jacques did'nt seem to know how to motivate them. He seems to be good with rookies only..

OK I'll shut up ....just having a rant.

Good night all.

White is the worst $3 million dollar defenseman in the entire NHL. I'm convinced. But since Lou has a soft spot for him because he was on previous Cup winners he'll probably remain on the team until retirement.

As for Mottau, he is awful. I agree.

God forbid if this team has to play the Rangers in round 1. They'll sweep us and we'll have to deal with a house full of Rangers fans rubbing it in.

Defense for the Monday Philly game (IMO of course):

*Greene - Solid nothing to special got the puck where it needed to go etc etc.

*Salvador - had a couple of hiccups, but nothing tragic plus he saved a comeback chance with his sliding double block while marty was down.

*Fraser - didn't have his usual snarl and was a little soft on the puck failing to clear it on a few to many occasions.

*Salmela - Awesome goal and then brutally knocked out. He really has impressed me though with his d-zone play seems he improved in ATL.

*White - It seems a lot of people on here disagree, but I feel he played pretty good tonight stripping the puck many times and playing the angles nicely and playing with a physicality that I haven't seen from him in years.

*Mattau - I'll keep my opinion PG, he was terrible, he was non-commital on the 2 on 1 and thus confused the hell out of marty who clearly should have the shot in that situation. He tried unsuccessfully to clear the zone no less than 4 times that game by flipping a weak and unbalanced backhand up the boards, and then on the Richards goal he lamely puts a stick in timmonen's direction and allows the pass into the center. Oh yeah, did I mention the turnovers?!

You know I have been defending Mattau's play for a long while now, but this is getting embarressing to watch really. I would really like to have a shutdown d-man (nothing all-star calibre just solid) at the deadline, but i'm not really expecting it. Ergo, Mattau, I expect you to step your s*** up!!!

He played well last game....by keeping it simple

Still, for those with the TOI excuse, i have one against and one to support it....not two minutes into the GAME, Mottau turned it over in our own zone, reaaaaally close to "MB30"....guess he was just tired :whistling:

Then in the third, not a minute elapsed between him getting off the ice, and then getting back in.

Anyway...he did keep it simple yesterday and that's why not many mistakes were made.

Also, how did you feel about Fraser's response to more minutes and playing late in the game? I think he did pretty well. Hopefully from now on he can actually play in the third and reduce other guys minutes

He played well last game....by keeping it simple

Still, for those with the TOI excuse, i have one against and one to support it....not two minutes into the GAME, Mottau turned it over in our own zone, reaaaaally close to "MB30"....guess he was just tired :whistling:

The argument isn't that he's tired from the extra ice time. The argument is that when he's a 6th defensmen he logs fewer minutes against worse competition thus you don't see his mistakes as frequently if he makes them at all. When you play close to 30 minutes like last night you end up logging the majority of those minutes against the oppositions top 2 lines and on the PK.

However with that said Fraser and Greene looked good together last night. I thought I would see Fraser just dumping the puck off to Greene a lot in the defensive and neutral zones but he should good poise in head-manning the puck.

I also thought Andy Greene had one of his better games in awhile in spite of the fact he was on the ice for an astounding 32:37.

It really showed how bad we need another D-man last night when after Salvador went down our 2nd and 3rd defensemen were Colin White and Mike Mottau.