Apple iPad

Hi, I'm VALUE!

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Apple iPad and would you buy it?

• Like it and would buy it.
    • Like it, wouldn't buy it.
    • Don't like it, wouldn't buy it, but A for Effort
    • Stupid Apple hippies.

I voted Like It, Wouldn't Buy It. Bascially it's in the netbook market as it's priced the same, much cooler than a netbook yet less capable. Apple heads will flip for it, but I need my laptops to be much more "capable" than simply web browsing and word processing.

Also, if I'm investing in a computer, it's my only computer, hence I want the option to upgrade, buy different software etc. The idea is cool, however, I don't know if there is much of a market for it.

My three year old cell phone lets me listen to Pandora and check my e-mail or surf the web at the same time. This thing does not. FAIL.

Some more concrete thoughts....

No flash?

No USB port?

No SD Card slot?

I do not understand the market here. I can see it as a better Kindle, maybe. But certainly not the transcendent device Apple made it out to be.

Edited by PeteyNice

There should be another option - "Don't like it, won't buy it, but Apple's still pretty cool". That's what I'd vote for.

The fact that there is

a) no open development

b) no stylus compatability

c) no 3G access

d) no usb interface

I view the thing as a complete failure. It's a large iPod Touch. Any or all of those things would make the device so much better. But no, it seems rushed to me. It's basically just Apple's answer to the Kindle/Nook/Sony Reader. That's it.

not to mention no SMS packed in and no multitasking so doing something simple like listening to music while working on a program doesn't seem feasible out of the box. I am completely in love with my Macbook Pro but this thing is a lazy answer to long winded rumors...nothing more.

I was semi excited about it and was actually considering buying one. After the specs were revealed though I couldn't believe it. No multitasking kills it! Like Petey said my 3 year old blackberry can run multiple things at once. Granted it can't do full screen HD but my 4 year old laptop can browse and play pandora at the same time.

I guess we will see if apple fixes that but at this point a regular laptop would fit better.

It's a super sized ipod at thrice the price. I think it will sell well solely because it's a apple product and not because of any inherit usefulness. It's hard drive is awfully small and the battery life is 2-3 hours in "standard" mode which is behind most netbooks and on par with most laptops. In "extended" e-reader mode it will get 10 hours, which is good but vastly inferior to the kindle. Yes it's in color, but amazon is only a year or two away from releasing a color kindle which will render that point moot.

The price is right though, I was very surprised to see apple release something like this starting at the $500 price point.

...the iPod and\or iPhone does; Phone calls.. MP3`Player.. Photo Album.. FM Radio.. Web-Browsing.. Digital Camera.. Movies.. Video Games.. Audiobooks.. TV Tuner.. just about everything. Unless this thing has an umbrella, not enough upgrades for me to shell out $500.00 big one's for another gadget. :noclue:

Many of my friends are already desperate for one :blahblah:

Im not an apple fan, but this device is pretty much pointless (the iphone has force other mobile companies to up their game and compete, which i admire greatly , but still dont want one, the tarrifs are a disgrace).

IMO Steve Jobs could $hit on a battery, Call it the i$hit, claim it will revolutionise the world of $hitting, and 8 million people would still crave one!!

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

Guys, remember that the first iPhone was good but nothing compared to later models.. Apple loves to screw the stupid/wealthy portion of their fan base..

All they do is release a new product but withhold certain "common sense" functions.. So people who buy anything Apple will dish out a ton for it.. Then, they come out with newer models that have more and more of these common sense functions, so that people feel enticed to buy the new model..

I'm an Apple superfan but I still would never buy a product from them until it's 3rd gen or later

Guys, remember that the first iPhone was good but nothing compared to later models.. Apple loves to screw the stupid/wealthy portion of their fan base..

All they do is release a new product but withhold certain "common sense" functions.. So people who buy anything Apple will dish out a ton for it.. Then, they come out with newer models that have more and more of these common sense functions, so that people feel enticed to buy the new model..

I'm an Apple superfan but I still would never buy a product from them until it's 3rd gen or later

I would say the current gen iPhone is equally crap. It still can't multitask (unless you jailbreak which I don't count), it still can't do flash etc etc etc. Apple may eventually enable multitasking but you'll never see flash which severely limits your web experience.

I didn't have school yesterday, so I was checking out a blog livecapping it more out of curiosity than anything else since I'm not a hardcore Apple fan. As soon as I saw a picture of it, the first thing I thought was "well fvck, I could of thought of that." It is literally an iPod Touch with a bigger screen. A gross disappointment imo.

I would say the current gen iPhone is equally crap. It still can't multitask (unless you jailbreak which I don't count), it still can't do flash etc etc etc. Apple may eventually enable multitasking but you'll never see flash which severely limits your web experience.

i love my 3gs iphone (i don't own, nor have i ever owned, any other apple product). not having multitasking on a 3.5 inch screen, on a machine with battery issues already, isn't that big a deal, but if i listened to pandora or lastfm every day, i guess it'd be a bigger deal.

that being said, not having multitasking on a 10 inch screen is inexcusable. i'd rather have a netbook than this.