Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe how people think he has a chance to come here. Its been mentioned already but what does NJ have to offer? I'd take the guy on the team in a heart beat but its just not happening.

He'll go to the Rangers because that is just our luck. I can just see it happening and we'll hate the fvckers even more. Sure they're tight against the cap but scumbag Sather will find a way. DW hasn't proven to be the sharpest tool in the shed so he is right up Sather's alley. After the Jokinen trade anything is possible in my mind, just not with the Devils. I'm still shocked that someone actually traded for Kotalik.

if this at all happens, who can we expect to go the other way?

to devils: kovalchuk, peverley

to thrashers: elias, greene, corrente, halischuk, 1st or 2nd round

i think if it at all happens, elias will be part of this.

Elias has a NTC. Won't be him.

I still can't believe how people think he has a chance to come here. Its been mentioned already but what does NJ have to offer? I'd take the guy on the team in a heart beat but its just not happening.

He'll go to the Rangers because that is just our luck. I can just see it happening and we'll hate the fvckers even more. Sure they're tight against the cap but scumbag Sather will find a way. DW hasn't proven to be the sharpest tool in the shed so he is right up Sather's alley. After the Jokinen trade anything is possible in my mind, just not with the Devils. I'm still shocked that someone actually traded for Kotalik.

no, the rangers really have no way of doing this. if they could get roszival off the team, maybe, but it's just not happening.

no, the rangers really have no way of doing this. if they could get roszival off the team, maybe, but it's just not happening.

If they're willing to send one of the big contract players down to Hartford, they'll have the cap space, unless there's a rule that I don't know about. I think the only player they can't do this to would be Drury. If Sather truly wants to save his job, I think he sends Redden or Rosizval down if the asking price from Atlanta is right. True, no one likes to eat $6 million per year for a guy who's playing in the minors, but this was the same owner who was willing to give Bobby Holik $8 million per year.

Any deal would include Zajac and no overpriced contracts, at least if I'm Atanta's GM.

'you'll get nothing and like it' - chicago is the best trade partner for waddell because they have all this NHL talent that needs to go elsewhere, but i'm not sure they'll pull the trigger - they are already the best team in the league, why possibly upset that? i don't expect to see in the deal someone of zajac's caliber either; zajac for kovalchuk straight up is a win for atlanta.

'you'll get nothing and like it' - chicago is the best trade partner for waddell because they have all this NHL talent that needs to go elsewhere, but i'm not sure they'll pull the trigger - they are already the best team in the league, why possibly upset that? i don't expect to see in the deal someone of zajac's caliber either; zajac for kovalchuk straight up is a win for atlanta.

If the assessment is that Kovalchuk makes the Devils a conference final lock (to the extent anyone can guarantee anything) then a trade for Zajac straight up would be win-win. You also need to take a good hard look at whether Tenenby/Josefson or a reasonably attainable free agent has the ability to fill Zajac's shoes after Kovalchuk doesn't resign, which is as close to a guarantee as it gets. I'd still ultimately be against it, but it's not something I would reject out of hand.

True, the chances of it happening are slim but I'm not saying never. Sather might sign players to some stupid contracts but he sure has a way of unloading the mess he makes on other teams. I just don't get it. Every single time you think they are squeezed, he pulls some rabbit out of his ass and unloads these awful deals. Eh whatever don't mind me, I'm just thinking negatively because that is all the Devils are about these last few weeks.

Chicago is the only team that has no interest in signing Kovalchuk if they trade for him. The rest of the teams have to worry if they can meet Kovalchuk's demands, or if he even wants to stay in the NHL. That is why I think Chicago becomes the best trading partner with Atlanta.

The Bruins certainly have all the pieces to make a giant deal with the Thrashers, but is it worth going broke if they can't sign him. Same with the Kings. I think teams need one of those Roy Halladay contract extension windows before a trade is made, or it becomes too risky.

If the assessment is that Kovalchuk makes the Devils a conference final lock (to the extent anyone can guarantee anything) then a trade for Zajac straight up would be win-win. You also need to take a good hard look at whether Tenenby/Josefson or a reasonably attainable free agent has the ability to fill Zajac's shoes after Kovalchuk doesn't resign, which is as close to a guarantee as it gets. I'd still ultimately be against it, but it's not something I would reject out of hand.

But that would leave the Devils with starting centers Dainus Zubrus or Dean McAmmond... or worse. Rob Niedermayer...

no one makes any team a conference final lock. kovalchuk is an excellent player. but he is not worth travis zajac, who i wouldn't trade for anything that isn't a center.

Chicago is the only team that has no interest in signing Kovalchuk if they trade for him. The rest of the teams have to worry if they can meet Kovalchuk's demands, or if he even wants to stay in the NHL. That is why I think Chicago becomes the best trading partner with Atlanta.

The Bruins certainly have all the pieces to make a giant deal with the Thrashers, but is it worth going broke if they can't sign him. Same with the Kings. I think teams need one of those Roy Halladay contract extension windows before a trade is made, or it becomes too risky.

i really don't think that should be a worry for these teams. i wouldn't want to sign kovalchuk or operate as though i thought i had to. i don't see the asking price as being prohibitively high where you have to think about that. if the kings offered simmonds, frolov, handzus, teubert, and a 2nd for kovalchuk, i don't think the thrashers would turn that deal down.

Let's end this speculation once and for all.

Instead of untouchables here are roster players we are willing to part with(if the price is right) that have value.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Johnny Oduya

Nicklas Bergfors

David Clarkson

Dainus Zubrus

Andy Greene

So now I will ask EVERYONEon this board

Can we get Kovalchuck with any of these players?

The other thing I'll add is the risk of injury, which is why I would not ultimately pull the trigger on the deal for anyone who is considered integral to the team in the long term (which Zajac fits into), and which is why I'm generally against player rentals. As we all know, Kovalchuk could take an unlucky shot to the shin, which causes him to miss the rest of the season. Thus, you gave up a key player for someone who played a few games.

Let's end this speculation once and for all.

Instead of untouchables here are roster players we are willing to part with(if the price is right) that have value.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Johnny Oduya

Nicklas Bergfors

David Clarkson

Dainus Zubrus

Andy Greene

So now I will ask EVERYONEon this board

Can we get Kovalchuck with any of these players?

Depends on what the competition is offering, but I would say, all things being equal, yes. Considering what Atlanta got for Hossa, a deal that involves Bergfors (who despite his recent slump, is still one of the better rookies this year) and Oduya, a Swedish olympian with a more or less reasonable contract should work.

Depends on what the competition is offering, but I would say, all things being equal, yes. Considering what Atlanta got for Hossa, a deal that involves Bergfors (who despite his recent slump, is still one of the better rookies this year) and Oduya, a Swedish olympian with a more or less reasonable contract should work.

no, unless someone is totally and completely in love with Andy Greene

bergfors/oduya/rolston/vasyunov/2010 1st for todd white/kovalchuk/kaberle.

that's what i'd do.

now get back to work.

also, i agree with triumph - zajac cannot be dealt for anything that doesn't bring back a center under control for at least 2 years that could legitimately be considered a #2 centerman at worst. next to parise, he is the most important player on this team - and i include brodeur and elias in that statement.

that's what i'd do.

now get back to work.

also, i agree with triumph - zajac cannot be dealt for anything that doesn't bring back a center under control for at least 2 years that could legitimately be considered a #2 centerman at worst. next to parise, he is the most important player on this team - and i include brodeur and elias in that statement.

I am guessing you mean Kubina and not Kaberle. Why do the Thrashers want to take on Oduya and Rolston's large salaries?

that's what i'd do.

now get back to work.

I wouldn't mind something like that. To the people saying to trade Zajac...are you INSANE? Trade our best center that is signed at a great rate for a RENTAL WINGER that we have NO CHANCE or resigning? Lou will never do that. I also would not want to deal Clarksonm Parise or Elias. (and obviously Marty) If we can get Kovalchuk without sending those guys that other way, I would take a hard look at it.

they have to take on one big salary in a kovalchuk deal because they may have trouble reaching the salary floor next season.

they always find someone to overpay for. I think they'd rather do it on their terms rather than get sent crap with a big contract

I just watch Bob McKenzie's analysis on tsn that don Waddell wants roster players over draft picks and prospects because Atlanta is still in the playoff hunt and the GM cannot say this prospect would be good 2-3 years later or we're focusing on the draft.

So, I think Salvador, Bergfors, Zubrus and Clarkson are the 3 Waddell targeting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.