Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard he turned down 10mil per for 8 years, and this says 'highest paid' for 7 (which I assume would be the cap max of 11 something), so he really is just looking at stoopit money it seems. If that's the case, he won't give a rat's behind where he ends up. He might when he's 35 and hasn't gotten his name on a cup, but it looks to me like he's going to end this season and get the most money he can get from whomever/wherever.

I think that's actually the opposite. He turned down boatload of money because it's the THRASHERS. He hasn't had a chacne to win on the thrashers his whole career, so if all he cared about was money he would have signed that contract.

SunGarrioch: Don Waddell telling some players in Atlanta he's in no hurry to make a move on Kovalchuk. Tune has already changed. Bluff called.

Because Bruce Garrioch would never just make stuff up... :whistling:

yeah, but if that's the case, that was my concern in this, that we were merely here to either get the Kings to give more, or to get someone else to step up.

I'm not as up on this as last night, of course, that could mean it gets announced in 5 minutes.

Latest on Twitter. He isn't moving today. Too many teams interested. This Tweet by Brooks:

http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie Source: price of NYR rental of Ilya is Staal or DelZotto+Callahan or Dubinsky+Kreider or Stepan or Grachev+first rounder=No deal.

Ridiculous. Fyi...if I were the Devils, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Martin returns soon. Bergfors comes off roster and they retain top 2 prospects (Tedenby/Josefson) plus Cormier. Guess it pays to be Lou.

Latest on Twitter. He isn't moving today. Too many teams interested. This Tweet by Brooks:

http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie Source: price of NYR rental of Ilya is Staal or DelZotto+Callahan or Dubinsky+Kreider or Stepan or Grachev+first rounder=No deal.

Ridiculous. Fyi...if I were the Devils, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Martin returns soon. Bergfors comes off roster and they retain top 2 prospects (Tedenby/Josefson) plus Cormier. Guess it pays to be Lou.

Since when do you trust anything Brooks says

I think that's actually the opposite. He turned down boatload of money because it's the THRASHERS. He hasn't had a chacne to win on the thrashers his whole career, so if all he cared about was money he would have signed that contract.

But his reps are asking for the cap maximum, which I believe is 11.2 mil, for 10 to 12 years (which is what I read, again-should have grabbed that link). ATL didn't offer anything like that, even though they certainly offered him a a boatload of cash.

Edited by jim777

But his reps are asking for the cap maximum, which I believe is 11.2 mil, for 10 to 12 years (which is what I read, again-should have grabbed that link). ATL didn't offer anything like that, even though they certainly offered him a a boatload of cash.

whats the difference of 1.2M per year or playing for a winning team. no matter what happens, kovy was/s not going to re-sign with the thrashers.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Del Zotto + Callahan + Grachev + 1st is very similar to what many people are thinking in here - Oduya + Bergfors + Palmieri + 1st. If this is true and Atlanta isn't taking it, then who knows.

BTW, I don't see anywhere on Brooks' tweets that deals are done for today.

Brooks is full of sh!t. that trade doesn't come close to working cap wise.

the Rangers need to move four pieces if they don't move their high priced players. all four pieces must be on their NHL roster. and that still doesn't cover "replacement" cost, of the prorated cost of the 3 players that would have to step in to replace the guys traded.

Statement from Thrashers GM Don Waddell:

"Our goal from the start of this negotiating process was to sign Ilya Kovalchuk to a long-term contract. During the process, Kovy affirmed his desire to be a Thrasher for life. We've spent several months exploring scenarios with Kovy and his agent to reach a mutually beneficial agreement, and offered many lucrative packages in an attempt to meet his financial objectives. Unfortunately, we've reached an impasse and at this point he has declined all of our proposals and we can't reasonably go any higher.

Ultimately, we offered Kovy more than $101 million over 12 years, which would have been the highest contract signed by an impending unrestricted free agent in the history of the league. If accepted, this contract would have been the second highest offer ever to any NHL player. We also met his desire to be the highest paid player based on average annual salary with a separate offer of 7 years at $10M per year ($70M). This offer is $0.5M higher per year than any other player.

If we went beyond these offers, we would not be able to retain the young players on our roster when it came time to sign them, or invest in other top tier players needed to assemble a truly competitive team. Therefore, we are aggressively exploring all of our options as we move forward."

CraigCustance: ATL releases statement from DW that confirms 12-year $101 million offer and says they also met his desire to be game's highest paid.

I do not think Lou would ever give out a $100 mill contract. With that being said, I do not think he would trade for Kovalchuk if he did not believe we had a good chance to resign him. After hearing that contract figure confirmed, I really do not think we are getting him... :(

Del Zotto + Callahan + Grachev + 1st is very similar to what many people are thinking in here - Oduya + Bergfors + Palmieri + 1st. If this is true and Atlanta isn't taking it, then who knows.

BTW, I don't see anywhere on Brooks' tweets that deals are done for today.

that's only roughly $3M cap prorated. they're taking back $6.4M cap prorated. this puts them over the cap.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.