Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watch Bob McKenzie's analysis on tsn that don Waddell wants roster players over draft picks and prospects because Atlanta is still in the playoff hunt and the GM cannot say this prospect would be good 2-3 years later or we're focusing on the draft.

So, I think Salvador, Bergfors, Zubrus and Clarkson are the 3 Waddell targeting.

I would not want to trade Bergfors AND Clarkson (would prefer to keep them both if possible) for a Kovalchuk rental. Now if somehow we COULD resign him and KNEW that.....that would be a "horse of a different color"

Kevin Allen of USA today just tweeted deal won't be done tonight, surprise teams in the mix, return will be better than for Hossa.

If it ain't, they should be disbanded. They cannot screw this up.

It was on Bruce Garrioch's Twitter. "My guess: New Jersey is the frontrunner for Kovalchuk. Bruins under a lot of heat to make a deal. Peter Chiarelli stepping up his efforts." Key word being GUESS! Just more speculation here. Run along, nothing to see....

Edited by ThreeCups

If he really does want to make the trade, Waddell may have no choice but to accept less than desired

I think the "less than desired" choice might be Lou's offer. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up hearing that the kings or flyers swooped in last minute with a big offer, and Lou was close to snagging him.

I still think we're getting Kubina and not Kovy. Kovy is a weird choice for this team because we cannot sign him long term - unless Lou knows something we don't with the cap..it'd be very weird to have him here for the remaining games - and that be it.

Of course no team wants him short term, and you'd think would want to trade for Kovy in the thinking of signing him long term - but with the core of what we have - it just doesn't make sense.

Unless of course we're trying to pull a Kotalik trade and get Rolly of the books by convincing him to waive his NTC - fully expecting Kovy to walk.

Edited by HellOnICE

I am guessing you mean Kubina and not Kaberle. Why do the Thrashers want to take on Oduya and Rolston's large salaries?

yes, i did - thank you for correcting my english (trading places reference).

they have to take on one big salary in a kovalchuk deal because they may have trouble reaching the salary floor next season.

this was part 1 of why oduya and rolston.

part 2 was because they want solid roster players on top of picks/prospects.

Unless of course we're trying to pull a Kotalik trade and get Rolly of the books by convincing him to waive his NTC - fully expecting Kovy to walk.

my thoughts exactly - i'm sure lou would LOVE to get out from this contract.

I still think we're getting Kubina and not Kovy. Kovy is a weird choice for this team because we cannot sign him long term - unless Lou knows something we don't with the cap..it'd be very weird to have him here for the remaining games - and that be it.

Of course no team wants him short term, and you'd think would want to trade for Kovy in the thinking of signing him long term - but with the core of what we have - it just doesn't make sense.

1.) The Rolston Relief Package is one GOOD reason for this to happen.

2.) The second option is Lou may have a less than favorable report about Elias's recovery - that worries me. Kovy could be brought in to take pressure off of Elias returning.

A salary dump is a possibility. However, would Lou willingly sacrifice other players/picks/prospects for a Kovalchuk rental and to get Rolston's contract outta here? If Lou SOMEHOW does get Kovalchuk here, I hope he tries to sell him on the concept of playing for a perennial contender and sign a long term deal. No, I have not been drinking tonight but I am dreaming!

A salary dump is a possibility. However, would Lou willingly sacrifice other players/picks/prospects for a Kovalchuk rental and to get Rolston's contract outta here? If Lou SOMEHOW does get Kovalchuk here, I hope he tries to sell him on the concept of playing for a perennial contender and sign a long term deal. No, I have not been drinking tonight but I am dreaming!

It doesn't even matter if he walks. ITs obvious he's in it for the $$$ payday.

The best point would be we won't be paying a one dimensional 37 year old $5M/year until he retires.

It doesn't even matter if he walks. ITs obvious he's in it for the $$$ payday.

The best point would be we won't be paying a one dimensional 37 year old $5M/year until he retires.

I do not mind Rolston leaving, I love the move. But we will likely lose Oduya or another decent player in the deal PLUS picks. I hope if Lou does do the move that he believes we have SOME chance of signing Kovie.

let's take the popular "awful" proposal.

Rolston + Oduya + Tedenby + 1

I do this trade in 5 seconds if I'm the Devils, and if I'm Waddell, I must be on crack to accept it.

why? because the Devils GAIN $2M cap space out of the trade... which means they can make more trade. Waddell wants to get to the playoffs and try to make noise. well, what better way to do that than to get destroyed by the team he trades Kovalchuk to. since we would STILL be able to get the C and the D, albeit with a large 94 Ranger-esque fire sale.

there's no reasonable way the Devils should be able to make the trade, get rid of overpaid junk and come out of it with more cap space than they started with. sh!t, if you told me Tedenby was 50/50 to bust, I'd trade Tedenby and the 1 just to get rid of the $8.5M cap commitment to Rolston and Oduya. I don't even need Kovalchuk, he's a nice bonus

let's take the popular "awful" proposal.

Rolston + Oduya + Tedenby + 1

I do this trade in 5 seconds if I'm the Devils, and if I'm Waddell, I must be on crack to accept it.

why? because the Devils GAIN $2M cap space out of the trade... which means they can make more trade. Waddell wants to get to the playoffs and try to make noise. well, what better way to do that than to get destroyed by the team he trades Kovalchuk to. since we would STILL be able to get the C and the D, albeit with a large 94 Ranger-esque fire sale.

there's no reasonable way the Devils should be able to make the trade, get rid of overpaid junk and come out of it with more cap space than they started with. sh!t, if you told me Tedenby was 50/50 to bust, I'd trade Tedenby and the 1 just to get rid of the $8.5M cap commitment to Rolston and Oduya. I don't even need Kovalchuk, he's a nice bonus

I don't see why Rolston is even being mentioned. The guy is old, and really doesn't have much left to offer ATL. Plus there is the obvious NTC. (unless Lou can somehow make those things magically disappear)

Edited by The Facepainter

I don't see why Rolston is even being mentioned. The guy is old, and really doesn't have much left to offer ATL. Plus there is the obvious NTC. (unless Lou can somehow make those things magically disappear)

you could apply Zubrus too... we'd come out slightly ahead in the cap department. it doesn't make any sense. why would you trade him to a competing team and leave them open to make more moves... unless it comes down to absolute desperation, but I'd rather just take Jack Johnson by himself (+ whatever cap consideration they need) than do that.

I'm not sure I agree, Waddell maybe looking for a proven leader, a guy he's worked with before (Rolston on Team USA in 2006 and he played well), a guy who can take the "C" for a little bit (like Mellanby, Holik, etc), as much as we give him sh!t to Rolston - he's well respected throughout the league.

PLus put him with Peverly - Rolly may do well.

Maybe Oduya/Rolston/Bergie/prospect for Kuby/Kovy?

Edited by HellOnICE

you could apply Zubrus too... we'd come out slightly ahead in the cap department. it doesn't make any sense. why would you trade him to a competing team and leave them open to make more moves... unless it comes down to absolute desperation, but I'd rather just take Jack Johnson by himself (+ whatever cap consideration they need) than do that.

That's if the Kings want to give him JJ.

I'm not sure I agree, Waddell maybe looking for a proven leader, a guy he's worked with before (Rolston on Team USA in 2006 and he played well), a guy who can take the "C" for a little bit (like Mellanby, Holik, etc), as much as we give him sh!t to Rolston - he's well respected throughout the league.

well, then warm up the plane, because that would be the best trade in Devils history, even if Kovalchuk left

That's if the Kings want to give him JJ.

I don't think they are against giving them JJ, it's just the Thrashers want more. maybe facing down the sheer awfulness of whatever the Devils offer (real or imagined) must be, would get them to back down.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.