Did Devils give away their future in Ilya Kovalchuk trade?

Rock

Did NJ Devils give away their future in Ilya Kovalchuk trade?

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/02/did_nj_devils_give_away_their.html

So giving up Niclas Bergfors, Patrice Cormier and a first round draft pick, not to mention Johnny Oduya, could be a lot for a player that just might walk away in the summer.

"We would never have done this if we didn't have the people coming up," Lamoriello maintained. "We could not sacrifice tomorrow. We have the depth as far as draft picks and the prospects we've stockpiled."

When asked if he had tried to sign Kovalchuk prior to the trade, Lamoriello said: "That has not even been a thought at this point. We'll see what he brings. It is to get this team better."

"That was probably as difficult as anything," Lamoriello said of trading Cormier. "This was a player they (the Thrashers) wanted. I am very sensitive to that situation (with Cormier) and stand behind him 100 percent. It was a very difficult phone call to make."

Lou is classy and is supportive of players. He'll probably still check in with Cormier as much as he's allowed to now.

I don't believe that we gave away our future entirely. I am not a fan of Oduya so I am not hurt to seem him go I just never liked him in my opinion. I do not know much about Cormier except he blindsided some kid and got suspended haha. and Bergfors I love him but not that sad he's gone he wasn't producing as of late and the two we've had up in his place Davis and Palmieri have been playing well. Plus don't forget about Mattias Tedenby there are a bunch of good prospects coming up.

I don't think so. A player of Oduya's ability can be picked up in Free Agency (or at the deadline). I think Tedenby is of equal promise to Bergfors and plays a similar game, so that's a wash. Cormier, who knows, but certainly not a "sure-thing" and we all had to have had the sense that he might be on his way out of NJ's system after that brutal attack.

The first round pick... who knows? We won't pick much lower than 24 now, so what value is that really? It's a reach, just like it always is at that stage.

I think it's a good move. Fair for both sides. Atlanta was not making the playoffs, so they were about to lose IK for nothing. For NJ, it immediately changes the complexion of this team and gives us scoring threats spread across the top 3 lines and what should be a NASTY first unit power play.

Defense still needs to be addressed, IMHO, or we are in some type of trouble in the post-season.

how is Oduya the future of anything, wiping out his contract is one of the best features of this deal. if Rolston was involved, it would be awesome. Bergfors was getting traded, I thought it was fairly obvious, they couldn't risk him bolting when he gets cut a 550K qualifier. Cormier is a little more than I expected, but I guess they feel that Josefson can do it.

and I seriously question if the Thrashers can fix him anyway... the worst thing that happened to Cormier this year happened today

Oduya I can live without, and I'm glad Lou made the deal, but I see the potential for a future Elias in Bergfors, more in that both were highly talented players that took a few years to reach their stride. I realize that you can't give up nothing to get someone like Kovalchuk, but I can see Bergfors being a player you hate to play down the road.

The way you have to look at it though is that even if Kovy breaks his leg getting out of the car and never plays a game for the Devils, the team will not have seriously jeopardized the future.

A great deal for the Devs. We lose a defenseman in Oduya and get one right back who can step into the lineup with Salmela. Bergfors is what we will miss most. He will develop into a good player, but never a superstar caliber one. Who knows what will happen with Cormier, but we have tons of prospects to develop so I do not see any real loss here either. We now have one of the most talented and explosive forwards in the game today ON OUR TEAM! If we can successfully resign Kovy then this deal was HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

Not to be a Debbie Downer...but....

If Salmela was scratched 50% of the time, I have a hard time believing (especially based on prior performance) that he can step right up into our D lineup.

Time will tell I guess.

he's gonna have to do for a week. I do not expect him to play past then. God, I hope not... because a team that shells in their own end with him on D is asking for it.

The best part about this deal is we, as Dev fans, get to enjoy a prolific scorer (does take nights off) while the Rags, Pens, Isles and Filthy stare with awe and amazement that this team just got a sh^tload better.

With Martin, Elias and maybe another minor deal on D, let's enjoy this ride and win Marty another Cup!

I did not know this kid is only 26 and with the salary dump in Oduya, Zubrus better talk this kid into playing every night and wanting to stay with this organization.

Better question: If Bergfors, Cormier and a low first rounder was "the future," then it wasn't exactly a bright one anyway.

Great day to be a Devils fan. This stuff just doesn't happen to the franchise. Wonder if they'll sign him, and go from the Marty Devils to the Ilya Devils.

<JESTER>

even if they signed him, the devils' face will be parise after marty.