GDT: Devils @ Flyers

MadDog2020

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, its the struggling Power Play and hesitancy to take shots. But, the turning point was not kicking Carter out of the game.

I don't think we can blame anyone but ourselves for this loss. Pinning it on someone else or some non-call is no way to prevent this from happening again. The Devils need to realize they are the ones making defensive mistakes and work on it. If you want to break down the points of the game they would be:

1. Breakdown on second Philly goal. That two on one should not happen like that. Mottau really screwed up covering the lane as he had no idea where carter was.

2. Our failing powerplay. We had 7 chances I believe, and all we got was a fluke goal. The other powerplays were unconvincing and didnt challenge leighton.

3. Turnovers/Lack of clearing the zone. We can't keep allowing teams to transition so quickly on us. This is why we are getting out-manned so much lately.

I don't think we can necessarily blame the devils too much on the first flyers goal. That one was a through the legs knuckler.

Few things, hits to the head need to be outlawed, carter was head hunting period. the fact that Elias get s called for obstruction but no call on carter is a joke..

Next the defense on this team is scary bad, no one can clear the puck on the PK, and on the PP they cannot get into the zone w/ possession of the puck..

just a shot in the dark, but would it surprise anyone if this is the first time in Kovy's career that he went 3 games w/out a goal??

and I will say it again, Lemaire line shuffling is just rediculus. if you donot create a scoring chance every shift the lines get changed...

Few things, hits to the head need to be outlawed, carter was head hunting period. the fact that Elias get s called for obstruction but no call on carter is a joke..

Next the defense on this team is scary bad, no one can clear the puck on the PK, and on the PP they cannot get into the zone w/ possession of the puck..

just a shot in the dark, but would it surprise anyone if this is the first time in Kovy's career that he went 3 games w/out a goal??

and I will say it again, Lemaire line shuffling is just rediculus. if you donot create a scoring chance every shift the lines get changed...

Red - Kovy hadn't scored in 6 games prior to the trade.

It didn't surprise me that it's actually the 4th time this season he has had such a drought.

Red - Kovy hadn't scored in 6 games prior to the trade.

2 games, he had 1 goal in his last 5 when traded, he is on a 4 game drought now.

how can anyone blame marty for tonight? i'll be the first to get on him (well the second after LD) but still.

i just don't get it.

the 2nd goal was a 2 on 1 that mottau botched.

the 1st goal was a deflection and went to a terribly difficult area to stop for any goaltender.

the 3rd was bang bang and marty had no choice - its a goal the devils often give up as they are notoriously atrocious on plays from behind the net.

i said it before and i'll say it again - they are simply too easy to play right now - you don't have to work that hard to beat them. part of that is that there are too many slow players in neidermayer, pandolfo, rolston (whose speed went from an asset to a liability as soon as he signed that deal w/ NJ) and the ENTIRE defense - even greene isn't that fast. and the passive box allows for too many high percentage chances against - i don't understand how it can still possibly be employed by a professional team.

i can't wait for clarkson and martin but amazingly, i just don't think it'll be enough. clarkson moves pando down to the 4th line and gives some grit but his PP skills in front of the net and on the boards won't be advantageous if they continue to look kovalchuk's way and disregard any other play.

as for martin, well there's still too many minutes that white and mottau have to play and they're gonna play them no matter what. another trade for a defenseman puts fraser in the pressbox, not mottau.

how long before we can jacques? Okay, martin is coming back, but is he going to be the solution?

the fact that this team gets outplayed on the boards, around the net, and that creativity on D has hit an all time low, seems like a coaching problem.

kovalchuk was not what this team needed. Maybe lou pulled the trigger because it was an opportunity to get someone like him for relatively cheap. We need a sergei zubov type defenseman. since zubrus really is looking like a second line center these days.

team is sinking like a rock, even the playoffs don't sound like a certainty these days. we are damn lucky that the entire division is sucking.

devils need to scratch mottau just to send a message of how awful he has been playing of late but i am not sure if they can do that now with salmela out

From your mouth to Jacques' ears. I would rather see a defensive unit of White, Greene, Salvador, Fraser, CORRENTE AND ECKFORD (assuming he isn't still hurt) than to ever see Motts again. He is just putrid as of late and needs to watch some games from the press box....

Unfortunately I have to agree that our defense is absolutely terrible right now. I don't think I've ever seen a Devils team commit so many turnovers and fail so miserably at clearing the zone. White and Mottau make mistake after mistake yet we continue to send them out. Martin could not be back soon enough.

There's also something wrong with our offense. On paper they are a talented bunch, but it just seems like there is way too much scrambling than there is actual finesse and skill plays. Watching Kovalchuk glide through the ice, it is really easy to see how scrambly and jittery our other players are. I also can't even imagine how many cross-ice or cross-crease passes we attempt that never hit their target. I don't know, I'm just kind of at a loss for words at how bad this team is right now...

Edited by Amberite

okay.., im overreacting a bit. but at their current .333 pace (for the last 10 games), they'll win another 8 games, which will be 16 points. that'll put us at 90.

that could be playoff bubble.

Do you really think they are going to be a .333 team the rest of the way? Come on.

Mike Mottau was bad tonight - you guys happy? - it happens. But the guy tries - which is more than I can say for about 3 players on this team.

But if some of you folk think that simply plucking one player off the ice is going to magically turn this sh!tshow around than come back when the wheels fall off in the playoffs.

Fact is, there is a lot of deadweight on this squad, and we have maybe 1.5 NHL defensemen and its not Andy Greene.

AG was great early, but good or bad, the magnitude of a full NHL 82 game season is definately starting to show.

This one is NOT on Marty - so don't feed the troll.

I can't figure out how this team's PK and D doesn't know what the entire NHL knows. Pop a shot at his feet and leave a rebound in the crease for the finish.

Its so obvious.

The finger has to seriouslly start to point to Lemaire. When Sutter started to have problems this board started calling for his head.

When he left, the revisionist, hurt-feelings folk turned him into an incompetent money yelling and screaming while pointing to exercise bikes.

The reality is that Sutter did not have the talent and fresh young legs Lemaire has to work with. What the hell is he doing?

I get that he's down some key defensmen - but this dude has to talk with folks like Winky and SpecialNeids (who looks like he's phoning his agent for next year's contract offer's between shifts).

If you're going to ride these guys you need to realize their age. They are clearly burnt out.

People need to get off Langs jock. the dude is coming off the flu and seems the only player over 30 willing to go dirty to the boards for the puck. Given that the tip-dump-chase is the centerpiece of our offense that could be aprt of the problem.

If I'm Lou I need to sit down with JL and explore my options for filling in the D. I think they're all keepers - IF GIVEN the proper ice time. Someone has to be brought in to eat minutes - even if its a call up for a few games to recharge these guys.

This used to be a team of top PK, and every broadcast says "You don't want to give the Devils a lead, they can be a boa constrictor!" - what happened to that?

Can we wait for Martin? Will the olympic break be enough rest for key guys? Is J "brilliant" L resorting to default again?

Thoughts.....?