Reality Check Time

Daniel

This team needs a serious attitude adjustment, or else we're looking at a guaranteed first round playoff exit. Thoroughly outplayed (and beaten) by many of the teams we could be seeing in the first round (Flyers, Rangers, Canadians, Lighting). The special teams are downright awful. You expect them to give up and not score pp goals. Idiotic plays in our own end as a result of laziness and sloppiness. Not to mention that Ansi Salmella has more goals than Kovy to this point.

And you know what, it's only going to get WORSE after the Olympic break considering the our not-awful players will not be getting any rest.

Edited by Daniel

This team needs a serious attitude adjustment, or else we're looking at a guaranteed first round playoff exit. Thoroughly outplayed (and beaten) by many of the teams we could be seeing in the first round (Flyers, Rangers, Canadians, Lighting). The special teams are downright awful. You expect them to give up and not score pp goals. Idiotic plays in our own end as a result of laziness and sloppiness. Not to mention that Ansi Salmella has more goals than Kovy to this point.

And you know what, it's only going to get WORSE after the Olympic break considering the our not-awful players will not be getting any rest.

it's not going to get worse, it's going to get better. i didn't see the devils thoroughly outplayed tonight. i didn't see them thoroughly outplayed against the rangers (you can't be serious with this). and i don't expect them to get outplayed by the canadiens or the lightning very often.

the team's worn down. it's a tough schedule and the defensemen have all been playing more time than they are used to.

it's not going to get worse, it's going to get better. i didn't see the devils thoroughly outplayed tonight. i didn't see them thoroughly outplayed against the rangers (you can't be serious with this). and i don't expect them to get outplayed by the canadiens or the lightning very often.

the team's worn down. it's a tough schedule and the defensemen have all been playing more time than they are used to.

Agreed but we're all sick of it. Kovalchuk hasn't been the lightning in a bottle we were all hoping for. Salmela, who actually looked really promising as an offensive defenseman, gets knocked out. The PP still struggles. I know we're tired but this just sucks.

Our defense is who we thought they were. When Andy Greene is your #1 defenseman, you should be losing a lot of games. It's called a regression to the mean. This team has an AHL'er (Mottau) playing top 3 minutes. How the hell does anyone expect them to win any games with this dogsh!t they put in front of Brodeur?

I picked this team to miss the playoffs before the year started because our defense sucks. We might not miss the playoffs but we will bow out in the first round because of this crap, so whats the difference? At least our draft pick we gave to Atlanta for Rentalchuk will be worse I guess.

Lou traded for the wrong big name. We needed Phaneuf.

Our defense is who we thought they were. When Andy Greene is your #1 defenseman, you should be losing a lot of games. It's called a regression to the mean. This team has an AHL'er (Mottau) playing top 3 minutes. How the hell does anyone expect them to win any games with this dogsh!t they put in front of Brodeur?

So how statistically unlikely that, and I believe it's implied, one of the worst defenses has allowed the least amount of goals in the league? How far away from the mean have they gotten and how unlikely is that given a 58 game sample size?

So how statistically unlikely that, and I believe it's implied, one of the worst defenses has allowed the least amount of goals in the league? How far away from the mean have they gotten and how unlikely is that given a 58 game sample size?

Cuz of Brodeur.

Cuz of the trap.

Cuz a good portion of our forwards are defensively responsible.

You can't sit here and tell me you think Mike Mottau, Colin White, Bryce Salvador and Mark Fraser are great defensemen. At best, you could call any one of them mediocre. At worst, you could call them the worst player in the entire NHL (Mottau).

Cuz of Brodeur.

Cuz of the trap.

You can't sit here and tell me you think Mike Mottau, Colin White, Bryce Salvador and Mark Fraser are great defensemen. At best, you could call any one of them mediocre. At worst, you could call them the worst player in the entire NHL (Mottau).

All I'll say is that if you go around the league, most teams' defensemen are mediocre. Why do you think way past their prime types like Niedermeyer and Pronger can demand $6 million plus per year.

Cuz of Brodeur.

Cuz of the trap.

sure, but how about brian pothier, tom poti, jeff schultz, and tyler sloan? at best, you could call any one of them mediocre. at worst, you could call them the worst player in the entire NHL (Sloan)

Again with this tough schedule nonsense, every team has the same type of schedule this year in the Olympics. This team hasn't come to play at all since New Year's. Even the wins have been beyond sloppy.

You can't defend this defense based on stats, everyone knows come playoff time this defense will not get the job done, it's been the same defense for the last three-four years. I don't care what kind of statistics they put up now, they're showing again and again that they can't get the job done when it matters.

I agree, this is a bit of an overreaction to a slump. They haven't been badly outplayed. I mean, it's not helping their Cup chances, but it's not to say they're a really bad team.

We just really have holes in defense. Martin coming back will help, but I think we really do need a trade, somehow, to get a good, reliable defenseman. Just a top 4 guy who can eat some minutes if nothing else. I don't think Eckford/Corrente will really help all that much, and I don't think sending Mottau down is going to help. Scratching him, maybe, but not sending him down (like some people are suggesting).

this team is going to make a trade, but there's just not that much available. they're not getting a top 4 guy. and mike mottau is going to play for this team in the playoffs.

and yes has i agree, THIS defense can't get it done, but their best defenseman has been out all year.

this team is going to make a trade, but there's just not that much available. they're not getting a top 4 guy. and mike mottau is going to play for this team in the playoffs.

and yes has i agree, THIS defense can't get it done, but their best defenseman has been out all year.

if you are lou who are you looking to get and what are you giving up

Edited by sokar

It's too bad we can't rely on Corrente or Eckford to even out the minutes yet. As it stands we are giving out big minutes to essentially #3-#6 defensemen. I think Lou will definitely pick up a veteran D at the deadline (even if it's another havelid equivalent). Someone who can be sent out there in all situations so the ice time for all our defenders evens out. Fraser has been good, but JL doesn't trust him in all situations yet.

Can we really rely on Martin though? He's been out because of one body part since October, what happens if another body part on the Ming Vase breaks? And the defense hasn't been all that good in the playoffs with Martin the last couple years, although he wasn't responsible for Game 7 last year.

The offense better step it up, that was the idea behind the Kovalchuk trade after all. If you're not going to be a lockdown defense you'd better at least be able to score. This is fast approaching the death march at the end of the '07-08 season where we scored something like 38 goals in 24 games.

Edited by Hasan4978

Can we really rely on Martin though? He's been out because of one body part since October, what happens if another body part on the Ming Vase breaks?

How many times has Martin played less than 70 games in one season? Just this one, so 1 out of 6, that's pretty durable, even if he misses a few games every year for bumps and bruises.

Martin may be all we need to balance our defense out, but I still see Lou picking up a veteran D at the deadline as insurance. Without a deal, if we have any injuries on D going into the post season you can essentially just write us off because a guy like Corrente wont be coming in to playoff hockey and playing big minutes this year.

One hope though might be if we can sign a free agent defensemen from the NCAA or Europe in late march. It seems like every year there is an unsigned college senior that is ready to step into the NHL. That is a long shot pipe dream though.

Best way to sent a message is to scratch someone from the lineup, maybe two players for a game and bring up some young kids maybe then things will fall back into place.

+1!

Scratch Mottau for Corrente or Eckford. Both played well when they were up here playing for the Devils. Really nothing to lose...

Agreed but we're all sick of it. Kovalchuk hasn't been the lightning in a bottle we were all hoping for.

Please, after three games? I know Mogilny didn't do dick for us in terms of scoring in the playoffs in 2000, but what he did do was scare the fvck out of teams who thought they could just shut down the A-Line and do the Devils in. Instead, the Devils did really crappy the last 10 games of the season, and then turned it on during the playoffs. I don't care if they continue to lose a game here and there, I'm just watching and waiting and seeing how the lines gel and how things will go once the Olympic break is over.

This is a team that has the talent to win a Stanley Cup. Lou has gone out and landed the biggest bestest scoringest free agent on the market, and it sickens me to continue to hear the complaints. Before, it was "Lou never lands the big guns" and as soon as he lands the best offensive player to ever don the Devils jersey, every fvcking complete idiot tool moron retard on this board has a conniption cuz they lost two of their first three games.

SHUT THE fvck UP!!!!!

You got your offensive superstar, and now what, you have to have Phaneuf join the team too before you're convinced Lamoriello will do what it takes to win?

I am just sick and fvcking tired of idiot Devils fans with a memory that lasts one fvcking game. WE JUST LANDED KOVALCHUK, WHAT THE fvck!!!!!!!

Give it ten games, the Olympics maybe, at least more than three games before you start with this idiot sh!t that Koivu is going to push us over the top after one of the top 10 forwards in the game doesn't win us 10 games in a row by himself.

Apologies for all the cursing, I'm drunk and upset.