Throwback jerseys are out!

QuadeConnolly

After further review, and realizing Lemieux shoots right, I have decided to change my pick and go with American hero Mark Johnson.. I only buy lefties so I own a Marty jersey and an Elias jersey.. I'll get the Parise when he becomes captain

10750.pngnewjbl01.jpg

Edited by Colin226

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Colin, I would have gone with Lemieux #22. Better player with more history. I may still go get another blank and get Lemieux #22. :)

Very true.. BUT my thinking was that I wanted a player who wore the red and green more of his career.. Lemieux only wore it for 2 seasons.. Sure, he is a major reason the Devils turned things around and he was '95 playoff MVP, but his really big moments with the Devils were in red and black..

I also realllly like support good playmaking lefties!! And Johnson is an American hockey hero.. He also was on the Devils as they went from stupid-awful to consistent playoff contender

I'm torn now... ughhh this is so hard

Edited by Colin226

Very true.. BUT my thinking was that I wanted a player who wore the red and green more of his career.. Lemieux only wore it for 2 seasons.. Sure, he is a major reason the Devils turned things around and he was '95 playoff MVP, but his really big moments with the Devils were in red and black..

I also realllly like support good playmaking lefties!!

Johnson's not a bad choice, he was an integral part of the 1980 gold medal win and it's unique.

Edited by devilsfan26

I also realllly like support good playmaking lefties!!

Good points on lemieux there Colin. Go with the Johnson then. I am torn with Patrick Sundstrom as well...

Johnson's not a bad choice, he was an integral part of the 1980 gold medal win and it's unique.

thanks man :cheers: I'm doing it!

Good points on lemieux there Colin. Go with the Johnson then. I am torn with Patrick Sundstrom as well...

Thanks SD.. Isn't this such a hard decision!!?? If i had been alive during that time it'd be easy because I would have become attached to a player (like I have with Elias, Marty, Zach, and even Travis) but it's a lot harder to pick players when you weren't alive to see them play!

Edited by Colin226

thanks man :cheers: I'm doing it!

Thanks SD.. Isn't this such a hard decision!!?? If i had been alive during that time it'd be easy because I would have become attached to a player (like I have with Elias, Marty, Zach, and even Travis) but it's a lot harder to pick players when you weren't alive to see them play!

I hear you there Colin. I was fortunate to see all the old players through those years and seasons. Sundstrom, Johnson, Muller, Verbeek, MacLean, Cirella, Lever, Bridgman, Higgins, Broten, Adams, Sulliman, McNabb and Gagne were some good players back then in the 80's for the Devils and liked them all.

I hear you there Colin. I was fortunate to see all the old players through those years and seasons. Sundstrom, Johnson, Muller, Verbeek, MacLean, Cirella, Lever, Bridgman, Higgins, Broten, Adams, Sulliman, McNabb and Gagne were some good players back then in the 80's for the Devils and liked them all.

You realize you just gave me a list of some players I hadn't even looked into as possabilities?! This process never ends!! :giggle:

Looked through your list and now I'm thinking Broten, Muller, or Johnson... Muller seems to have been the best of the 3 with the most Devils history.. hmmm

Edited by Colin226

You realize you just gave me a list of some players I hadn't even looked into as possabilities?! This process never ends!! :giggle:

Looked through your list and now I'm thinking Broten, Muller, or Johnson... Muller seems to have been the best of the 3 with the most Devils history.. hmmm

Captain Kirk, good choice bro. When I was a kid, I had a poster of Muller on my wall- he was my favorite player from when I was about 6 and just started watching the team to the time he was traded to Montreal for Stephane Richer. Seeing all those names brings back so many memories of my early childhood. Great stuff!!

Captain Kirk, good choice bro. When I was a kid, I had a poster of Muller on my wall- he was my favorite player from when I was about 6 and just started watching the team to the time he was traded to Montreal for Stephane Richer. Seeing all those names brings back so many memories of my early childhood. Great stuff!!

Yeah I'm gonna have to go with Muller.. watching him on YouTube shows me he'd be my favorite player if I was around back then so I'll have to go with him and get a C on the jersey of course..

To those purchasing these... If you want to remain as authentic as possible (which some of you do) Here are some facts to consider:

-Please note the CCM logo colours and how they have changed over time. 87-88's the CCM logo on the back was white with green letters, other 80's were red, red, blue, (meaning the two "C's" were outlined in red and the "M" was blue) and early 90's were red, red, green.

-1991-92 was the last year the Devils wore red/green gamers and player like Richer & Chorske were brought onto the team just this year. The 75th NHL patch was applied to not only Devils gamers, but also all other NHL gamers as well as the 10 year patch on the back hem by the CCM logo. John Maclean was injured in the preseason and did not play one regular season game that year.

-The Captain and Alternate Captains letters were different from year to year and some were as simple as a plain white "A" or "C" while others had two and possible three colours incorporated with the letering style.

-Although I cannot remember the specific year, ONE year they hemmed up the bottom stripe fo the gamers.

-A fight strap was typical back then in most jerseys. Typcially a fight strap was located on the inside of the jersey where bottom part of the number was or in between two if it was a double digit. The strap tied to a players pants and prevented the jersey from coing over your head in a fight for your own protection. Back when the Devils wore Red & Green there were various types of fight straps that ranged from Velcro, button hole, and some really interesting things.

-Players wore their jerseys quite tight in the early 80's and it seemed the smaller/tighter the better. Fighter somtimes did the same because a tight jersey couldn't be easily yanked off.

-Lastly, Mr. Lamoriello has always expressed great displeasure the red & green gamers because they represent the past and there were a LOT of unsuccessful seasons. Probably the best red & green season was the 1987-88 season which not only saw the Devils make the playoffs for the first time, but march all the way to eastern conference semi-finals. To date Mr. Lamoriello has avoiding having anything to do with those gamers because of the unsuccessful seasons "they" (the red & green) represented. A certain hockey convention was to take place at the arena but the condition per Mr. Lamoriello was absolutely postively not one red & green jersey. The event ended up not happening there. I do wonder what has changed his mind and hope this does not open up the possibility of an alternate jersey down the road. Home and Away is fine.

I hope this helps someone.

Yeah I'm gonna have to go with Muller.. watching him on YouTube shows me he'd be my favorite player if I was around back then so I'll have to go with him and get a C on the jersey of course..

If you choose to go with him, let me know. I may be able to help you with placement of your "C" and the lettering... I own two of his game worn jerseys...

If you choose to go with him, let me know. I may be able to help you with placement of your "C" and the lettering... I own two of his game worn jerseys...

I'm going with him (Muller #9 with captains C ) and sending it to Exclusive Pro.. if you have some pictures of your jerseys I'd love to get them.. Exclusive Pro can use them to make their work more authentic.. Thanks!

To those purchasing these... If you want to remain as authentic as possible (which some of you do) Here are some facts to consider:

-Please note the CCM logo colours and how they have changed over time. 87-88's the CCM logo on the back was white with green letters, other 80's were red, red, blue, (meaning the two "C's" were outlined in red and the "M" was blue) and early 90's were red, red, green.

-1991-92 was the last year the Devils wore red/green gamers and player like Richer & Chorske were brought onto the team just this year. The 75th NHL patch was applied to not only Devils gamers, but also all other NHL gamers as well as the 10 year patch on the back hem by the CCM logo. John Maclean was injured in the preseason and did not play one regular season game that year.

-The Captain and Alternate Captains letters were different from year to year and some were as simple as a plain white "A" or "C" while others had two and possible three colours incorporated with the letering style.

-Although I cannot remember the specific year, ONE year they hemmed up the bottom stripe fo the gamers.

-A fight strap was typical back then in most jerseys. Typcially a fight strap was located on the inside of the jersey where bottom part of the number was or in between two if it was a double digit. The strap tied to a players pants and prevented the jersey from coing over your head in a fight for your own protection. Back when the Devils wore Red & Green there were various types of fight straps that ranged from Velcro, button hole, and some really interesting things.

-Players wore their jerseys quite tight in the early 80's and it seemed the smaller/tighter the better. Fighter somtimes did the same because a tight jersey couldn't be easily yanked off.

-Lastly, Mr. Lamoriello has always expressed great displeasure the red & green gamers because they represent the past and there were a LOT of unsuccessful seasons. Probably the best red & green season was the 1987-88 season which not only saw the Devils make the playoffs for the first time, but march all the way to eastern conference semi-finals. To date Mr. Lamoriello has avoiding having anything to do with those gamers because of the unsuccessful seasons "they" (the red & green) represented. A certain hockey convention was to take place at the arena but the condition per Mr. Lamoriello was absolutely postively not one red & green jersey. The event ended up not happening there. I do wonder what has changed his mind and hope this does not open up the possibility of an alternate jersey down the road. Home and Away is fine.

Awesome, thanks a lot.

In addition, the jerseys for the inaugural season were made by Sandow SK rather than CCM (according to nhluniforms.com), so the tagging is off for that year too. So for those of us who want to be as accurate as possible, seems like we're looking at 83-84 to 86-87, and 88-90.

Interesting indeed. Out of curiosity, was this(convention) a recent occurrence(Rock) or during the Meadowlands years? Also, you may have left this out for a reason(in which case, feel free to PM if you deem necessary/willing to share), but was it the MeiGray show that wanted to be at the arena?

I need some help guys. I really want a jersey but just don't see who to get. I'm looking for a goal scorer with a bit of a fiesty edge and at first Johnny Mac came to my head and Don Lever. I would prefer someone a bit unde who isn't mentioned a lot. I'd really appreciate your help.

This sounds like backyard hockey!

I need some help guys. I really want a jersey but just don't see who to get. I'm looking for a goal scorer with a bit of a fiesty edge and at first Johnny Mac came to my head and Don Lever. I would prefer someone a bit unde who isn't mentioned a lot. I'd really appreciate your help.

This sounds like backyard hockey!

May I suggest The Little Ball of Hate: Patty Verbeek.