Throwback jerseys are out!

QuadeConnolly

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered 2 blanks today, but now I'm torn on what to do.

My initial plan was to go with a player that was time authentic. Chorske17 contributed a lot of great info in that regard so many thanks go out to him. Now I'm thinking maybe it is better to just go with a current player.

These jerseys remind me of the retro shoe game. I was into that sh!t many years ago as I have always loved sneakers. My big thing was Air Jordans. I stopped collecting because the quality of the sneakers went down hill and the colorways became ridiculous. In any event, although "retro", the new sneaker releases were not exactly like the originals. On a retro pair of Jordans for example, you'll not find one NIKE logo anywhere, only the Jump Man logo. They're still basically the same shoe but they are tweaked somewhat.

This leads me to these jerseys. I think they did a good job of nailing down the old style but are they that close enough that you should put an old player on them? Should the old font style be used. I guess my point is should these be viewed as a re-release of the originals or simply as a current rendition made for the current team? It would be less complicated if the players were going to wear the same jersey but they're not.

This leads me to these jerseys. I think they did a good job of nailing down the old style but are they that close enough that you should put an old player on them? Should the old font style be used. I guess my point is should these be viewed as a re-release of the originals or simply as a current rendition made for the current team? It would be less complicated if the players were going to wear the same jersey but they're not.

Yea I think since the players are wearing Edge jerseys that makes these retail versions closer to a re-release than a current replica. Also you can look at it as part of CCM's vintage line, which included many other jerseys that weren't worn in any retro games on the ice.

I stopped by the Devils Den this afternoon (yeah a week's worth of snow cabin fever can do things like driving 3 hours to a store). I couldn't justify paying $190 for a blank replica jersey considering I own one a Mitchell & Ness white but I did pick up the M&N "trucker's" style hat which wears similar to the RBK Draft Hats from Crosby's draft year.

I also noticed that there were boxes of red & green Chico player T's that hadn't been put out yet. I don't know if they're going to have other players besides Chico (Stevens? Dano? Muller? MacClean? Burke?)

Interesting indeed. Out of curiosity, was this(convention) a recent occurrence(Rock) or during the Meadowlands years? Also, you may have left this out for a reason(in which case, feel free to PM if you deem necessary/willing to share), but was it the MeiGray show that wanted to be at the arena?

CLARKYDANO23,

The best bet to answer that question is to ask someone at MeiGray. I cannot give you the exact facts, but if you wish to know you should contact them directly.

COLIN,

Here is my site: CLICK HERE! If those two photos do not provide you with enough data, please contact me via a PM and I can point one other spot out.

For those who do not know what to get and who... I did speak with two MeiGray employees today who know as much about the 3/17 jerseys as we do. The best option for those who want one and want to be as authentic is possible is to get a current player. These are replicas because they aren't the ones used back then. Modifications to size, fabric, stitching, and such are going to come into play. Getting a current player will most mimic what is on the ice for those of a purist nature. If you aren't get whomever. I do not wish to speculate, but I do not think that CCM with be the brand sewn on the bottom hem, but only time will tell. I have no insider information, but I do not think RBK would allow this even for one game since they are the exclusive providers of the sweaters (jerseys).

It will be interesting to also see if the the on-ice stuff is more of the classic 80-90's look or the RBK Edge with the tail. I hope for the former, but suspect the latter. We shall see.

I hope this helps others out.

CLARKYDANO23,

The best bet to answer that question is to ask someone at MeiGray. I cannot give you the exact facts, but if you wish to know you should contact them directly.

COLIN,

Here is my site: CLICK HERE! If those two photos do not provide you with enough data, please contact me via a PM and I can point one other spot out.

For those who do not know what to get and who... I did speak with two MeiGray employees today who know as much about the 3/17 jerseys as we do. The best option for those who want one and want to be as authentic is possible is to get a current player. These are replicas because they aren't the ones used back then. Modifications to size, fabric, stitching, and such are going to come into play. Getting a current player will most mimic what is on the ice for those of a purist nature. If you aren't get whomever. I do not wish to speculate, but I do not think that CCM with be the brand sewn on the bottom hem, but only time will tell. I have no insider information, but I do not think RBK would allow this even for one game since they are the exclusive providers of the sweaters (jerseys).

It will be interesting to also see if the the on-ice stuff is more of the classic 80-90's look or the RBK Edge with the tail. I hope for the former, but suspect the latter. We shall see.

I hope this helps others out.

Chorske - so it looks like auction from everything I've heard from them.....

That kind of sucks, but I've been storing away squirrel nuts all year long just for this occasion.

Haven't bought anything this year in anticipation.

I'm hoping my income tax check comes rather soon as I know what I'm treating myself to :evil:

As a Marty fan, Im leaning toward sticking is #29 on the back, but I do have a lot of love for Pepe, Dano and Stevens, so it's a tough descion to make. I only own one Devils jersey (Edge replica, Brodeur) and I'm wondering if, dispite Marty being my favorite player) if maybe I should get another player, one who played a lot of games in these colors. I'll make my descion when I pick it up I guess. I would pick up a fitted cap as well, but I have a small head and I don't see the store carring a cap size under 7.

at $190 blank, they may be "authentic" that's about how much my CCM authentic blanks cost. RBK edges just cost a bajillion $'s because they're so "cutting edge". yeah, so "cutting edge" that they fall apart after you wear them 20 times...

I'm definately going to check them out, if they're the same material my older CCM authentic is, it's a definate buy... it will be around forever, that sweater is 13 years old and let's put it this way, it looks infinitely better than my Madden "premier" RBK does... which was worn... about 20 times.

i just ordered an Langs edge jersey on jays sports shop. $99. ($199 - code "sale" at checkout gets $100 off) only catch is you can't customize. gotta pick from blank(which is even cheaper), Parise, Elias, Lans, Marty... too bad they're not selling these throwbacks outside the devils den..

I've looked on NHL.com/shop and didn't see them. I may pop into the NHL store during lunch to see if they have them and if they are expecting them in. At the very least, I'm hoping they have the throwback caps.

Edited by yankeesjetsfan

i just ordered an Langs edge jersey on jays sports shop. $99. ($199 - code "sale" at checkout gets $100 off) only catch is you can't customize. gotta pick from blank(which is even cheaper), Parise, Elias, Lans, Marty... too bad they're not selling these throwbacks outside the devils den..

This might just be a knockoff... There's a reason why authentic blanks are 300$. They are actually made really nicely. I'll be interested to see how yours comes out.

Are these actually authentic or fake-authentic? $99 almost seems too good to be true

Chorske - so it looks like auction from everything I've heard from them.....

That kind of sucks, but I've been storing away squirrel nuts all year long just for this occasion.

Haven't bought anything this year in anticipation.

MeiGray has not announced any plans for an auction or out right sale of these gamers. I personally, have expressed my deep unhappiness with the auction setting as it just drives up the price. The prices were out of control on the Opening Night gamers. While I am not friends with the person who bought the Pandolfo that night, I feel that $1100+ for his gamer is absurd. I know he really wanted it and respect that, but he should never have had to pay that for a one period gamer.

I would think this will be auction too, with the gamer up for grabs being a one period wonder, and the prices again sky rocketing. A while back I expressed my displeasure over these auctions with one employee at MeiGray and mentioned an alternative method. He politely argued back that the auction was the most fair way of offering the gamers to as many people as possible and letting the highest bidder win. I WILL NOT be participating in such auctions period. Me bidding only lines someone else's pockets as the prices are just too extreme for me. I guess it boils down to how much want something, but I don't see the value or if you will "bang for your buck".

MeiGray is a fantastic company and I support 99% of what they do and if this is one issue I have than it is minor. Just be aware the prices will most likely go out of control even in this economy. Hopefully I am wrong and live to eat my words, but I'll not have any part of the auction regardless.

As much as I'd love to own a game used jersey, I cant afford the prices that are asked or realized at an auction. sad to say that unless I suddenly become rich or get one as a gift, I will never own a game used jersey. That's ok. I'll stick with picking up a stick here or there.

Edited by yankeesjetsfan

MeiGray has not announced any plans for an auction or out right sale of these gamers. I personally, have expressed my deep unhappiness with the auction setting as it just drives up the price. The prices were out of control on the Opening Night gamers. While I am not friends with the person who bought the Pandolfo that night, I feel that $1100+ for his gamer is absurd. I know he really wanted it and respect that, but he should never have had to pay that for a one period gamer.

While i am not friends with the person stating his sentiment in bold, if you're going to keep using that jersey as an example, at least get the price paid correct. When you sit down and bid you should know what you're getting into with NHL Auctions and the crazy pricing. It goes with the territory.

An auction is the fairest route. That way everyone has a fair chance and it's not based on customer call in "want lists". Seeing a collector wind up with 4 of these like the 2003 Red Cup jerseys simply because they are higher up on the "request" list isn't too fair, is it?

*Edited for font and time constraints while at work.

Edited by SJP20

Interesting. Many of the posters in this thread, so far, seem to be leaning toward getting a former player in order to be more authentic, but you are saying getting a current player would be more authentic.

The jerseys look awesome. If I had the money (and a chance) to get one, I'd probably go with Dano or one of the players who will actually get to play in a jersey like this on St. Patty's (yeah, I know the on ice jerseys won't be the same, but replicas are never the same as authentics, so it's not that big of a deal IMO).

Out of the current players, Elias seems like a good choice (same goes with Marty, of course, but he seems too obvious ;)). All time scoring leader, whole career with this team. He will most likely end up being the first forward ever having his numer retired here.

The jerseys look awesome. If I had the money (and a chance) to get one, I'd probably go with Dano or one of the players who will actually get to play in a jersey like this on St. Patty's (yeah, I know the on ice jerseys won't be the same, but replicas are never the same as authentics, so it's not that big of a deal IMO).

Out of the current players, Elias seems like a good choice (same goes with Marty, of course, but he seems too obvious ;)). All time scoring leader, whole career with this team. He will most likely end up being the first forward ever having his numer retired here.

Anyone is a good choice as long as you are happy and that is key. True on the replicas, but I do not know that they are making authentics so that is why I posted the information. I think for people to make the best decision they need as many facts as possible.

While i am not friends with the person stating his sentiment in bold, when you sit down and bid you should know what you're getting into with NHL Auctions and the crazy pricing. It goes with the territory.

An auction is the fairest route. That way everyone has a fair chance and it's not based on customer call in "want lists". Last thing that is fair is seeing a collector wind up with 4 of these like the 2003 red Cup jerseys simply because they are on a higher up on the "request" list.

*Edited for font

People should spend what they want on auctions, but I hardly consider them fair to those loyal to programs of pre-ordering. It all comes down to money. I highly encourage people to spend what they want on these auctions and others whether it be with cash in hand, a corporate credit card, or written off as office furnature. It is your life and live it as freely and happy as possible. Some people are never happy and will critize anyone and assume things which they have no business in knowing. When and if these go to auction it will be crazy. Good luck to all.

:cheers:

I think I'm going to pick up an Elias tonight, and then get a former player this summer, probably someone from the 88-89 team.