How soft does this team look?

cubanjd305

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing to me how easy it is for a team to get bashed for being "soft" or "no killer instict" when they lose, but this wasn't a problem a few months ago. Talent still wins hockey games. We don't have enough of it in the right places. We may have some great forwards, but they can't do it themselves.

Everytime they get to the net, the defensemen can't get the puck to the net anyway.

Its not so much the Devils not having the stars of the past (Stevens, Daneyko etc) but the right mix of complememtry role players that the Devils use to have. Guys that were prototypical Devils and would be team first and not back down physically. For years the Devils has these guys and they can take solid shifts as well. Not just play 46 seconds liek Peters or Leblond. Clarkson is a prime example of a great character guy whose mentality would have fit on any of the past Devils teams, but he is hurt now so we cannot figure him into the equation until he comes back.

Guys like McKay, Turner Stevenson, Peluso, McKenzie....These guys were leaders who would not let this kind of soft play happen. They complemented the star players, Stevens/Nieds/mac/Lemieux to a T. Those are the kind of guys our team is missing. I hate to waste a trade on a tough plumber type but maybe they need some character.

It's amazing to me how easy it is for a team to get bashed for being "soft" or "no killer instict" when they lose, but this wasn't a problem a few months ago. Talent still wins hockey games. We don't have enough of it in the right places. We may have some great forwards, but they can't do it themselves.

Everytime they get to the net, the defensemen can't get the puck to the net anyway.

The devils played physical hockey at the beginning of the season and started getting soft fairly recently. I don't know if it is injury related (and the devils do not want to risk any more injuries), but it looks like they are out there practicing every night. I would love to hear what is (and isn't) being said in the locker room....

Edited by Biggie B

The devils played physical hockey at the beginning of the season and started getting soft fairly recently. I don't know if it is injury related (and the devils do not want to risk any more injuries), but it looks like they are out there practicing every night. I would love to hear what is (and isn't) being said in the locker room....

I don't think they played that more physical than what I'm seeing now - I think speed has something to do with it. I don't think the Devils are getting the pucks at any speed, therefore it looks like they aren't playing "heart" or "soft". I really think it's a speed thing. I feel like all of our offense starts at 0mph, because the D can't get the puck out in an offensive way at all.

I agree with PA on the few years now softness. Just look back to the Avery/Marty battles.

I agree, too, we've been soft for a few years. I hate it.

Guys like McKenzie would play 46 seconds now. Guys like Peluso and Stevenson would get eaten alive with the rules right now. McKay was fine, but Clarkson is similar to him. The game is different now.

You gotta be kidding. You make it seem like no winning team has gritty players. Someone brought it up in another thread -- or maybe it was earlier in this thread -- but when the Ducks won, they had some talented-but-tough guys; when the Canes won a few years back, they had some gritty players who liked to bang bodies; when the Oilers almost beat the Canes that same year, they were banging bodies all throught the finals; even the Penguins could bang bodies.

We have Clarkson (god I can't wait for him to get back), Zubrus (who is still getting used to being back), and Salvador, and that's about it -- I'm not including PL3 or Peters because they are barely real players, and White is only semi-tough these days.

I agree, too, we've been soft for a few years. I hate it.

You gotta be kidding. You make it seem like no winning team has gritty players. Someone brought it up in another thread -- or maybe it was earlier in this thread -- but when the Ducks won, they had some talented-but-tough guys; when the Canes won a few years back, they had some gritty players who liked to bang bodies; when the Oilers almost beat the Canes that same year, they were banging bodies all throught the finals; even the Penguins could bang bodies.

We have Clarkson (god I can't wait for him to get back), Zubrus (who is still getting used to being back), and Salvador, and that's about it -- I'm not including PL3 or Peters because they are barely real players, and White is only semi-tough these days.

No I don't, but look at the top two lines of PIttsburgh - who's that gritty -moreso than ours?

We just don't have good players, who have speed. Pando, Nieder - these guys aren't fast enough/big enough to be physical. I'm not worried about "softness" - I'm worried about talent.

This team is soft and it's not going to change anytime soon. They are built to be a finesse team, except they are so out of sync that they can't play that way either. So right now we are stuck watching a pile of cr@p.

I agree. This team is right now built as a "finesse" defensive team that not only can't score, but can't play any defense. Not a good combination to have. From watching Parise get his front teeth knocked out against the Rangers in that playoff game, and no one on the Devils did anything about it, to Avery crashing the net and falling on Marty, to Jeff Carter cleaning Salmella's clock on Monday night... not a single player on this team steps up and takes matters into their own hands. They just sit there and take it.

I wish we still had a Cam Janssen or a Mike Peluso on this team. Someone to send out and drop gloves with Pronger, punch his face in, and send a message. But right now that's wishful thinking.

This team lacks no killer instinct and no physicality whatsoever. As a longtime Devils fan, they are extremely disappointing to watch.

I've also had it with Rolston. This guy gets paid a king's ransom and doesn't do d*ck. If his contract prevents us from signing Ilya longterm it will be a huge setback to this organization..

Anyway, just venting after watching that sewage on tv last night. Paul Martin and Clarkson coming back aren't going to suddenly transform them into the Devils of old. They're still going to be playing like a "finesse" team. I dont know what the answer is. Just extremely frustrated right now as a fan...

duh. we're getting oliwa back. he was totally at a game recently too.

err...

seriously, this team doesn't have very much killer instinct right now. it's not so much the physicality, it's the fact that they just don't KNOW when to stand up for themselves. it wasn't a problem earlier this season. i don't know if the boys are all just too tired to care or what. we don't need a guy that throws monster hits left and right (albeit, it would be NICE) but we do need a couple of guys not afraid to get gritty when we're being pushed around. whether it was a clean hit or not the other night, carter should have had someone on his ass last night. you have to send a message. unfortunately for black 'n red, they have no idea what the message is right now. getting clarkson back will REALLY help.

Guys like McKenzie would play 46 seconds now. Guys like Peluso and Stevenson would get eaten alive with the rules right now. McKay was fine, but Clarkson is similar to him. The game is different now.

The point is they were the type of players in the old NHL that would compliment a pansy team like the one we have right now. Guys like Clarkie are a much more skilled version of them for today's NHL. There are surely lots of other guys who can cut it with today's rules that aren't afraid to throw the body and play a physical game....

about as soft as a baby's ass right now. It was very disappointing the way the Devils showed no grit, fire and toughness the last three divisional games vs. the Rangers and the home and home vs. the Flyers. It was embarrassing the way they lost all three games.

Edited by SatansDevils

This couldnt be farther from the truth. They werent physical or "meaner" or more nasty when they were winning. They were getting bounces and were playing more i nsnyc. The bottom line is early i nthe season you had guys like McCammond playing over his head, and Rolston actually scoring a few goals but they were still missing Martin and Zubrus and other guys. NO this team has not been a physical team for quite some time. ANd I dont mean they have to go out and beat everybody up. Just try to make it a bit difficult for the other team???? I mean Carter scored what 2 goals in the last 2 games casually skating down the wing never fearing any kind of body check at all. Skate down shoot score oh wow nobody touched me mentality. Game winner Carter planted right in front of Marty last night. We dont have forwards that will pay the price and stand there we try to cycle it to death keep the puck in the offensive zone for 2 minutes and not get a shot on net!

A reason why Cormier instead of Tedenby bothers me so much. We need some umph up front and Cormier would have brought that next season. We are soft up and down the organization. Berube is our only other physical prospect up front and he is clearly a project pick.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

I do think there was a little bit more aggression earlier in the season, not a whole lot, but still. I mean, Langenbrunner used to launch himself on top of opposing goalies just to mess with the opponent....it stopped.

Everyone sees it, everyone has seen it for some time now. It's just that the deal with Carter is the last drop. It was far too blatant of a foul, and absolutely no response from the team?? What's that about? We'll see what happens with Nashville and Tootoo rolling in later today.

Everyone sees it, everyone has seen it for some time now. It's just that the deal with Carter is the last drop. It was far too blatant of a foul, and absolutely no response from the team?? What's that about? We'll see what happens with Nashville and Tootoo rolling in later today.

Scary thought, more headshots on the way, who can they afford to lose? Was watching the Bruins/Blots game last night, the Bruins were hitting hard early in the game and that opened up the scoring lanes for them, they kept the pressure on until their 5th unanswered goal and then seemed to stop hitting once the officials started tilting the ice away from them. But at least (a) they hit, and (b) they were still shooting with a 4-goal lead. Don't know if it's Lemaire's fault, but the Devils seem to stop hitting and shooting once they have a 2-goal lead, as if they expect Marty to make that hold up every night.

I like JL as coach but what I would not give to see Scott Stevens as head coach with Dano as his assistant, Then try and take out one of our players and heart this team would leave it on the ice every game. The last thing I would ever want is Dano or Stevens up in my face between periods for not protecting players.

I like JL as coach but what I would not give to see Scott Stevens as head coach with Dano as his assistant, Then try and take out one of our players and heart this team would leave it on the ice every game. The last thing I would ever want is Dano or Stevens up in my face between periods for not protecting players.

I'm afraid Stevens would run into the ice and knock somebody out

I'm afraid Stevens would run into the ice and knock somebody out

Or even Dano for that matter did you hear him the last game with a root canal basicaly calling the players out to hit someone. God I miss that spirit!

One thing is for sure teams would not enjoy playing us!

Edited by Devs1965

Or even Dano for that matter did you hear him the last game with a root canal basicaly calling the players out to hit someone. God I miss that spirit!

Yeah it was a sad sight...he had almost a look of disappointment. You could tell he was expecting them to drop them in the initial minute