Kumaritashvili killed in luge training

eaglejelly

The games are off to a good start

TSN

Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili died following a crash at the Whistler Sliding Centre on Friday, according to AFP.

"I think they are pushing it a little too much,'' Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday after she nearly lost control in training. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.''

RIP

Edited by eaglejelly

"I think they are pushing it a little too much,'' Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday after she nearly lost control in training. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives.''

The International Luge Federation has concluded that the track was safe and this was an unfortunate case of athlete error. It happens in other sports involving speed. Downhill skiing, car racing, etc.. This is not a safe sport and not one that I would ever be interested in trying.

Now that they have put extra wall protection on that turn, slowed the ice and lowered the starting point, many of the lugers have the exact OPPOSITE opinion of Campbell-Pegg. They say that they have ruined the competition by making it into a kiddy-course with no challenge

I do notice that this is the only thread about the Olympics here. And that doesn't seem to be an isolated case. There seems to be absolutely no interest in these Olympics in the U.S. beyond talking about this unfortunate accident. The Flames board on the other hand has opened a new forum to handle all the threads about the Olympics.

Edited by Don

This is not a safe sport

It was until Vancouver

Now that they have put extra wall protection on that turn, slowed the ice and lowered the starting point, many of the lugers have the exact OPPOSITE opinion of Campbell-Pegg. They say that they have ruined the competition by making it into a kiddy-course with no challenge

If a driver's error can lead to him being catapulted against an unprotected beam, something is wrong with the track. Obviously they wanted the fastest and nastiest track in the world, and did not do their homework in the process

The International Luge Federation has concluded that the track was safe and this was an unfortunate case of athlete error. It happens in other sports involving speed. Downhill skiing, car racing, etc.. This is not a safe sport and not one that I would ever be interested in trying.

I do notice that this is the only thread about the Olympics here. And that doesn't seem to be an isolated case. There seems to be absolutely no interest in these Olympics in the U.S. beyond talking about this unfortunate accident. The Flames board on the other hand has opened a new forum to handle all the threads about the Olympics.

And that despite the fact that all the new events that have been added in the recent Olympics were to appease the US networks and to make sure the US can win some medals too.

It was until Vancouver

I'll give you $20 if you tell that to Kazimlerz Kay-Skrzypecki's widow.

If a driver's error can lead to him being catapulted against an unprotected beam, something is wrong with the track. Obviously they wanted the fastest and nastiest track in the world, and did not do their homework in the process

The track designer is the best designer in the world and this is the 6th Olympic course he has designed. And a three time gold medalist says that there was nothing wrong with this track.

http://www.uticaod.com/sports/x2077694600/Track-designer-shocked-by-luge-death

But if you have 4 gold medals in the sport, I'll take your opinion over his.

And that despite the fact that all the new events that have been added in the recent Olympics were to appease the US networks and to make sure the US can win some medals too.

A friend of mine who is down in Vegas said that he's been in a few bars and all that is on is NASCAR and college basketball. Absolutely nothing about the Olympics. It's like they are not even happening.

I'll give you $20 if you tell that to Kazimlerz Kay-Skrzypecki's widow.

The track designer is the best designer in the world and this is the 6th Olympic course he has designed. And a three time gold medalist says that there was nothing wrong with this track.

http://www.uticaod.c...d-by-luge-death

But if you have 4 gold medals in the sport, I'll take your opinion over his.

If you read it article, both experts agree that modifications were necessary. Crashing is acceptable, flying out of the track not.

A friend of mine who is down in Vegas said that he's been in a few bars and all that is on is NASCAR and college basketball. Absolutely nothing about the Olympics. It's like they are not even happening.

You can't be surprised that people living in the Desert don't get excited about winter sports

I don't think there's a complete lack of interest, but for such a huge event, it is frustrating that it doesn't get enough attention here. American sports fans are always like this though, most don't care about anything that isn't football, basketball, or baseball unless Michael Phelps is raking in the gold medals. During the 2006 Olympics I turned the TV at the campus dining hall from whatever dumb ESPN show was on to the Czech Republic and Russia game since nobody else was in the room at the time, and about a minute later these two guys walk in and one of them instantly says, "Man, the Olympics is BORING!!" Other than that, I don't remember hearing any discussion about the Olympics outside of hockey fans.

It's a shame, I remember when I was a kid I thought the Olympics were amazing and my family would always make it a point to watch. Now I realize it's not as important to people here as it was to me and it's kind of disappointing. I was thinking about this last night and I was trying to think of a Winter Olympic sport that is easier to participate in than baseball, football, and basketball, and off the top of my head I couldn't really come up with anything. Even though I don't normally have any interest in watching figure skating, moguls, or skeleton, I'm still amazed at how talented or fearless these athletes are. Anyone can pick up a bat or ball and play baseball, basketball, or football.

I have no interest in watching anything but hockey when it comes to the winter olympics, the same way i have no interest in watching anything in the summer olympics other than soccer. Sure I hope the USA wins as many gold medals as they can but I won't be watching. I have a hard enough time trying to watch the womens hockey with how boring these games are and how much of a blowout the games are until usa faces canada.

Do we have a spinning smilie for Don?

Canada f***ed up the speed skating ice too now. They're really embarrassing themselves here.

Did we mention the biggest complaint I heard about the luge course? That only the Canadians had proper time to run the course -- everyone else had to start off balls out - no time to get a feel for the track. I'm sure that's just American spin though and Don's telling us the REAL truth - because he's just interested in honesty - he'd be the first to slam Canada's handling of any situation as we've seen time and time again.

But you know -- I'm American so I'm not really paying attention to the games... not interested in anything but death and gore and money because that's what we like - louder faster funnier and if you can insert a Mc in front of it that would be even cooler! I'm sure Don meant no offense just like us Americans don't mean any offense existing in such close proximity to Don. Sorry bout that bud.

Do we have a spinning smilie for Don?

Canada f***ed up the speed skating ice too now. They're really embarrassing themselves here.

Did we mention the biggest complaint I heard about the luge course? That only the Canadians had proper time to run the course -- everyone else had to start off balls out - no time to get a feel for the track. I'm sure that's just American spin though and Don's telling us the REAL truth - because he's just interested in honesty - he'd be the first to slam Canada's handling of any situation as we've seen time and time again.

But you know -- I'm American so I'm not really paying attention to the games... not interested in anything but death and gore and money because that's what we like - louder faster funnier and if you can insert a Mc in front of it that would be even cooler! I'm sure Don meant no offense just like us Americans don't mean any offense existing in such close proximity to Don. Sorry bout that bud.

The luge course was designed by an American firm, so they deserve some blame for it being dangerous too.

It's a luge, you morons, there is nothing wrong with this death, he knew it everytime he layed down on the sled. Jeez, laying on a sled no seat belt, no roll cage, 90mph and degree banked turns scientifically engineered to make you go faster and youre appauled this happened, risk reward. Stop smelling your own farts.

Thank you. Didn't hear any of the 6 players who got theyre juggler vein sliced in the last decade complain. Anyone who wants to make luge safer is the same people who say Grand Theft Auto caused Colombine. Although arguable for arguements sake, so far from the truth just busy bodies.

Thank you. Didn't hear any of the 6 players who got theyre juggler vein sliced in the last decade complain. Anyone who wants to make luge safer is the same people who say Grand Theft Auto caused Colombine. Although arguable for arguements sake, so far from the truth just busy bodies.

What?? What were they going to complain about? Those injuries had nothing to do with pushing the limits of the sport, and negligence such as not putting padding on the steel beams.

Who is saying they should make luge safer? The argument is that this particular course is perhaps taking it too far. How the hell do you make the connection to Columbine through this? You are being ridiculous.