2010 Winter Olympics

PeteyNice

Surprised that there was no general Olympics thread....

After two days, America is winning with 6 medals including one in something ridiculous called "Nordic Combine".

Today we have chances for medals in Short Track Speedskating and Snowboard Cross.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver;_ylt=AvdYM.ibWJ6OdJ2sAVn6JwKFsbV_

We have not won a Winter Olympics since 1932! In fact the 6 medals we have so far equals our total from Calgary.

Congrats to the US for getting the Medal in the Nordic combined. Most of you think is a ridicules sport, but it has a long tradition in Europe, especially Scandinavia. Breaking into the ranks with basically zero support and interest from your own country is a huge achievement. I doubt it will, but I hope this will help to promote the traditional winter sports in the US.

so i was watching women's hockey yesterday when i saw one of our girls pull this ridiculous toe drag between her own legs, and then snipe it through the chinese goalie's five hole. certainly top ten material. They went on to win 12-1. did you know theres no checking in women's hockey? thats messed up.

I was watching the women's Nordic combined today - after skiing with my daughter to lift lines... I think I'd be good at that! It used to seem senseless when you can just ice skate -- but now I appreciate it so much more!

Seriously -- I had no interest in Xcountry but now I think it would be a lot of fun and easy peasy to do in the back yard or in the park across the street! And the skis are pretty cheap.

did you know theres no checking in women's hockey? thats messed up.

Yeah -- they can get chippy all the same though! I hate to confess - my husband got video of me skiing and I realise -- I'm a chick -- I just dont get the whole grounding thing. Men can get so grounded on their skates -- my husband is AMAZING. Actually I was watching old Stevens hits and I was thinking he and my husband both just do that thing... they just can plant themselves and people bounce off them.

SIDEBAR:

My husband thinks it's a riot in the mall -- people get all pushing and gear up to basically check people out of their way and my husband sees them peripherally and then lets them plow full force into him as opposed to accommodating them. He gets all blank looking over their heads and lets them charge full tilt into him then smiles when they seriously fall on their asses or careen into a display case

ANYHOW -- so I just float over the ground - I guess it's ballet training... I look STUPID all floaty and light and skimming ontop of the ground - it sucks because I see so clearly how I SHOULD be... ANYHOW ANYHOW -- it's the same with womens hockey --

BACK TO THE POINT:

it bugs me how ungrounded they are - but I read it's something maybe genetic - womens knees aren't used the same way so they dont get that connection - it's good they dont check -- I think they'd hurt themselves too much hitter and hittee - it woudl interfere with the flow of the game not be a part of the flow the way it is in men's hockey.

I was watching the women's Nordic combined today - after skiing with my daughter to lift lines... I think I'd be good at that! It used to seem senseless when you can just ice skate -- but now I appreciate it so much more!

Seriously -- I had no interest in Xcountry but now I think it would be a lot of fun and easy peasy to do in the back yard or in the park across the street! And the skis are pretty cheap.

There is no women's Nordic combined at the Olympics

I get what you mean PK. When I bump into guys a hockey...I am always the one who ends up on my arse...(well except for this one guy...but that is because he frequently isn't looking where he is going)...I am not exactly small so it isn't a weight issue. Men have quite a good body....density? I dunno, maybe just because they have more muscle in their legs that women.

I have mixed feelings about the checking thing....although I think (not 100% sure) that women can play checking hockey over here, but only with the juniors.

Yesterday was the greatest day in the history of the Winter Olympics. America won SIX medals (3 gold) to increase our leading total. Shaun White proved that he owns snowboarding, our female skiers did not fall and Shani Davis did Colbert proud. Can today top it? Well, we should get a medal in men's figure skating, Vonn should medal again in the Super G and there is more snowboarding so it is possible. Plus, America plays Norway in hockey so that should be a nice win to top everything off. Go America.

Yesterday was the greatest day in the history of the Winter Olympics. America won SIX medals (3 gold) to increase our leading total. Shaun White proved that he owns snowboarding, our female skiers did not fall and Shani Davis did Colbert proud. Can today top it? Well, we should get a medal in men's figure skating, Vonn should medal again in the Super G and there is more snowboarding so it is possible. Plus, America plays Norway in hockey so that should be a nice win to top everything off. Go America.

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=CAN_VS&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=1

U.S.EH! U.S.EH!

Team USA continues to dominate on every level.

A World leading 24 medals, Ohno the most decorated Winter Olympian ever, Bode Miller with a great comeback Gold. Even our choking team of choking curlers won some games! America is even scoring off the field with Scotty Lago getting some cute Asian tail.

And our hockey did something pretty decent last night too.

Edited by PeteyNice

As the Winter Olympics conclude today, America will not only win the Olympics but do so with the most medals any country has ever won. An impressive display for American's winter athletes.

As the Winter Olympics conclude today, Canada will not only win the Olympics, but do so with the most gold medals any country has ever won. An impressive display for Canada's winter athletes.

Link:

http://winterolympics.external.bbc.co.uk/medals/2010-standings/index.html

Total medal count is a silly measure given that it assumes that a bronze medal is just as good as a gold.

But I would invite you to join in our thread over at CalgaryPuck to discuss your point of view. :)

As the Winter Olympics conclude today, Canada will not only win the Olympics, but do so with the most gold medals any country has ever won. An impressive display for Canada's winter athletes.

Link:

Total medal count is a silly measure given that it assumes that a bronze medal is just as good as a gold.

But I would invite you to join in our thread over at CalgaryPuck to discuss your point of view. :)

Much like the metric system, your way of counting Olympics is ridiculous. I know that America owns the podium and I do not know what kind of visitation rights, if any, we are giving Canada but there is a reason that it has three places and a reason that they give out three medals. They all count.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/medals;_ylt=Ap0tOGNX7xvGetSV9GAmT7R9sbV_

Edited by PeteyNice

Link:

I disagree. I would give US and Canada a tie here. I don't think you can just totally discredit total medals. Say Canada had 1 more gold than USA but the Americans had 15 more silver and bronze. It be kind of stupid to say Canada won the games with the USA having 29 more medals.

US performed admirably at the Olympics. They were competitive in everything, say for Curling.

As for the Olympic games. Absolutely loved every minute of it. Most fun I had watching sports in what feels like forever. Just a wonderful 17 days of competition in Canada.

Edited by devilsrule33

Most medals overall and most gold medals. There is only one country that is in the top 2 in both categories, and it’s neither Canada nor the USA.

My point, you can spin it any way you want. The Olympics are about individual achievements (in some cases teams) and not about nations competing against each other. That's why there is no such thing as an official medals count

@PeteyNice: to say the metric system is ridiculous is one of the most stupid things I have read on this board

@devilsrule33: I agree with you, I though these were very entertaining games