GDT: USA vs. CANADA

nyrsuck26

Marty really only let in one questionable goal tonight, and that was Jamie's. The rest were the result of great plays in front of him.

You can't blame Marty for this game. You can blame his defense a little and his 16 all-star forwards a LOT. This team should be potting 5 goals automatically every game they play.

Great game for Parise, Langenbrunner and of course, one of my favorite Devils, BR28.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really didn't think USA had a chance in this tournament but they played a good 2nd half of this game. With that being said, they were beyond putrid for the first half. They have Miller to thank for this game, and he made some key saves the last game as well.

I hate to think what this does to Marty though. Unless something happens injury wise tonight's game was probably the last of his Olympic career. Something tells me Luongo gets the nod the rest of the way. I really don't think Marty had a bad game. He tried to do a little too much on a couple of the goals and Canada probably makes the switch just because goaltending won this game for the United States. Anyways, everybody knows how much the Olympics mean to Brodeur. You just hope that if he does get yanked, he doesn't get deflated.

Yea I hope he gets sat too. Marty looks spent already. I hope Jacques is seeing it a little more from this POV.

i don't think it has to do with being spent, but yeah canada doesn't need a goalie who's going to gamble - they don't need pokechecks and the like. they need a goalie who will just sit on the ice the same way every time.

that was really a great game - USA does have to play better, 'beyond putrid' is harsh considering that the US didn't get into penalty trouble and mostly let canada shoot from the outside.

why? brodeur's going to be sat the rest of the tournament, his next NHL game is in 9 days. this went basically as well as it possibly could have.

Maybe. But I saw the look on Brodeur's face while USA was celebrating. This loss hurt him, and after being Canada's golden child, the Canadians are now calling for his head and to be sat the rest of the tournament. We all know how happy Brodeur is with his elite status, and I'm not sure he'll be able to get past this very easily. This may affect the rest of his season.

Maybe. But I saw the look on Brodeur's face while USA was celebrating. This loss hurt him, and after being Canada's golden child, the Canadians are now calling for his head and to be sat the rest of the tournament. We all know how happy Brodeur is with his elite status, and I'm not sure he'll be able to get past this very easily. This may affect the rest of his season.

maybe it will make him more motivated to prove that he's still the best in the world.

Very impressed with Jamie Langenbrunner NOT allowing team USA to do that stupid gay stick salute at center ice. I don't know if Callaghan and/or Drury wanted to do it but Jamie is Captain, and what he says goes :evil:

Game should have ended 4-2. That goal from Crosby was a fluke, and in all honesty Miller should have had that.

I feel sorry for team Germany who are Canada's next opponents.

Canada's problem AFAIC is team chemistry. The defense is terrible and their forwards save a few don't backcheck. They are a team full of superstars who play like individuals.

Brodeur played a solid game, not great but his defense left him to out dry.

I fully expect team Canada to obliterate team Germany in the next game. They'll re-group and come back with a devastating determination.

maybe it will make him more motivated to prove that he's still the best in the world.

Again, maybe. But maybe it makes him implode. One thing IS close to definite though - if Brodeur doesn't play the rest of the tournament, it WILL affect the rest of his season - whether it's for the good or for the bad is the question.

Edited by Amberite

Hopefully he comes back with a vengeance. I am not so sure Marty is done here....can you really blame this loss on him?

yes? he let up a terrible goal to rafalski and was all over the place on goal #3. if canada gets even normal goaltending they probably win this game - brodeur was not good.

Yeah, by trying to play defence instead of focusing on stopping pucks. The Devils are going out in the first round again.

lol. i'm sure you won't put money on that though.

Very impressed with Jamie Langenbrunner NOT allowing team USA to do that stupid gay stick salute at center ice. I don't know if Callaghan and/or Drury wanted to do it but Jamie is Captain, and what he says goes :evil:

Game should have ended 4-2. That goal from Crosby was a fluke, and in all honesty Miller should have had that.

I feel sorry for team Germany who are Canada's next opponents.

Canada's problem AFAIC is team chemistry. The defense is terrible and their forwards save a few don't backcheck. They are a team full of superstars who play like individuals.

Brodeur played a solid game, not great but his defense left him to out dry.

I fully expect team Canada to obliterate team Germany in the next game. They'll re-group and come back with a devastating determination.

Yeah save the Salute for the gold metal. That goal was stupid and Miller was in butterfly mode and still let it under the pads. Dunno how. Canada's problem is that they don't play as a team, they are like an all star team that has less than half the passion of the US. Canda was the heavy favorite in each of there last 2 games and barely beat the Swiss and lost to USA. Don't rule Germany out completely.

This. Marty plays best when he's got a fire lit under his ass, and the fallout from this game will hopefully be enough to light that fire. Especially if "the fallout" includes Luongo getting the nod from here on out.

Marty really only let in one questionable goal tonight, and that was Jamie's. The rest were the result of great plays in front of him.

You can't blame Marty for this game. You can blame his defense a little and his 16 all-star forwards a LOT. This team should be potting 5 goals automatically every game they play.

Great game for Parise, Langenbrunner and of course, one of my favorite Devils, BR28.

I can't agree, Marty looked like a complete idiot on 3 of the 4 goals. The 2nd goal he basically batted the puck into a scoring area, for no reason other than trying to do too much. The 3rd goal, again, trying to do too much by leaving the net for an unnecessary poke-check. And the forth goal wouldn't have gone in if he held his stick stronger. I loved seeing the U.S. win, but I wanted the U.S. to win with Brodeur giving Canada a strong chance. Canada probably would have won if Brodeur just kept his game simple. Its a bitter sweet win as a Devil fan.

But I enjoyed watching the solid effort from Parise and Langenbrunner.

USA!

WHATS BETTER THAN BEATING CANADA, IN CANADA!?!?!

An instant classic. I jumped so high, I hit the ceiling. (when we made it 5-3) This US team is so talented, I am in awe. They play with (perhaps) the best chemistry I have ever seen from a US team in ANY international tournament I can remember. They're physical, they're fast, they're young.

Three more victories.. Gold Medal. Believe!

I would be surprised if Luongo doesn't get the nod for Canada.

...it'll be Roberto the rest of the way. Brodeur looked slow, and at times lost tonight for Team Canada. He's allowed 6 goals in the two games he's played, winning his only game by means of the shootout. Luongo's the starter for Canada after tonight going forward.