2010 Defending Champion New York Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

Beezer, you could pick on a lot of guys in addition to Swisher. A slew of guys didn't execute ... Burnett, Teixeira, A-Rod, the entire bullpen. I know a lot of people are upset with Girardi, too, but I don't see it. There's too many guys that don't get big hits and don't get enough people out. It's that simple. There aren't enough managerial moves to overcome it.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a huge Girardi fan myself but lets just call it what it is: A good ol' fashioned ass kicking by a team that is on a roll. Kudos to Texas, they are coming through with the clutch hits, especially with RISP.

Burnett missed his spot on the Molina HR: Look at where Cirivelli was setting up for that pitch. It happens. Fatigue? Eh...not buying it....let's be fair here folks, the warning signs for the Yankees were there for months and we though the Twins series fixed everything...well it did not.

I do not care of the payroll is $400 million: When 2 of your starters are basically worthless at this point (Vasquez and Burnett) and another (Hughes) has been wildly inconsistent much of the 2nd half of the season, these things will happen. And oh yeah, the back end of the bullpen is a mess.

Yankees are getting old real fast guys. Texas is younger, more guys in their prime. And DO NOT throw the kitchen sink at Lee, you see how that worked out for the Mets with Santana.

Edited by LOTCB

And DO NOT throw the kitchen sink at Lee, you see how that worked out for the Mets with Santana.

Throwing a lot of money at Lee makes sense. If Pettitte retires the rotation would be:

Sabathia, Hughes, Burnett, Nova?, Joba?, some other kid?

That isn't going to get the job done.

The Junior Varsity is a mess. Santana is the least of their problems. Lee fills a need and the Yankees have the means to get it done.

Yankees are getting old real fast guys. Texas is younger, more guys in their prime. And DO NOT throw the kitchen sink at Lee, you see how that worked out for the Mets with Santana.

Except that the Mets actually had to trade for Santana as well, all the Yankees would have to give up is money, and last I checked the Yankee allowance is a little higher than the Met allowance.

The Junior Varsity is a mess. Santana is the least of their problems. Lee fills a need and the Yankees have the means to get it done.

Santana might not be back till June next year, and his last two seasons have ended with surgeries. So far he's been the least of our problems but he could be headed for a Pedro-like crater soon if he's not already there.

Except that the Mets actually had to trade for Santana as well, all the Yankees would have to give up is money, and last I checked the Yankee allowance is a little higher than the Met allowance.

Met$ have PLENTY of money that is not their issue.

Rangers payroll is $55 million, Met$ is $132 million...I think Mets fans are one of the last fan bases that should be referring to the Yankee$ payroll IMO.

Met$ have PLENTY of money that is not their issue.

Rangers payroll is $55 million, Met$ is $132 million...I think Mets fans are one of the last fan bases that should be referring to the Yankee$ payroll IMO.

Yes but the point of bringing it up was when the Mets have $20+ million on the DL of a $120-130 million payroll (which almost certainly is going down next year thanks to the Madoffs and justifiably lousy attendance) that's still a significant chunk, if that happened to the Yankees with an over $200 million one with the ability for them to spend even more than that it's a little different. With them it's not really a risk to give Lee $25 million a year.

In the next five years, the Yankees will have a season with a $225 million payroll and a losing record. Book it.

It depends...it's been a generation since they have had a losing season, they do have a lot of core guys that can get old all at once though, but if they were able to add Lee with Sabathia, that's a pretty good 1-2 punch that could prevent a total bottoming out even if that happens.

And btw I think their GM is pretty good, sure he'll never be asked to win with a $50 million payroll but the Yankees have slowly built up the farm system since Cashman gained total control. It is possible to mismanage all those resources but I don't think it'll happen under their current baseball leadership.

Edited by NJDevs4978

5 years from now, the yankees will most likely have a top-3 of Sabathia, Lee, and Hughes. They will have a developed Robinson Cano in his prime, and you hav to imagine we'll get at least one more solid offensive player from the market. I would bet a good amount of money that they don't have a losing record win the next five years.

Not to mention how scary good Montero could be if he reaches his potential, and having him and Romine splitting C duties could be awesome. Plus if one of Brackman, Betances, or Banuelos is as good as advertised they could make that roation you mentioned even stronger.

Not that I disagree, but are you content on keeping Montero (instead of trading him)? Much has been said about his defensive ability, or lack thereof, and I've been watching Jorge make a tool out of himself behind the plate for long enough that I really wouldn't be able to stand that. So from what I've heard, he may be groomed as a first baseman-- and on the Yankees, we've got that spot locked up for at least another 7 years. He's really a man without a position, and I'll be damned if we're grooming our future DH instead of looking for value in other positions. If Romine is as good as advertised, we've got our future catcher.

I think the Yankees would have to get the perfect deal to trade Montero, and I'm not sure if that exist...I mean the only scenario that I would have been fine with was the Lee trade that fell through.

From what I've read on Montero it seems a lot of scouts think he can pass as a part time catcher but not full time. Though it seems almost everyone raves about his offensive game and I've even heard comparisons to Manny. The numbers definitely back that up. This is just my opinion, but I think the Yankees plan to keep him around mainly as a DH who will do a bit of catching. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try him at a corner OF position just to give him a bit more of versatility. I wonder if they are going to use him coming out of camp or if they are going to give him more time in AAA. Perhaps even Romine starts in AA and gets the quick promotion to AAA. I expect him to have a better year offensively since it looks like catching for his first full year caught up to him at the plate. His first few months and last month we're good for him but the middle of the year really saw his production drop. Either way I'm excited since it appears that the Yankees can go from Jorge/Montero to Romine/Montero when the time comes....hell if Gary Sanchez is the real deal and goes through the minors quick the Yankees will have some depth and may move or the other if they see fit.

i began to wonder if Giradi made a stink about Cliff Lee's hat (accusations of him putting illegal stuff on there, would that make Cliff Lee not want to join the Yanks next year

Girardi doesn't have a problem with his hat...

Link

"You have a lot of guys that put rosin," Girardi said. "They have a rosin residue. It's just the way he does it. Every pitcher usually has a little thing that he does. It doesn't strike me as really odd."

Though that idiot Michael Kay was the one had an issue with it. Either way I don't think Lee would really care, money talks, the chance to win, lifestyle, etc. A lot more things than any comments over a hat are going to make up his mind.

Going to 6 baby! Keep the faith! I'm hoping this is the start of the offense coming alive again. Just gotta get on another hot streak and I expect Hughes to have a much better performance this go around. Go Yankees!

Despite putting 7 on the board today the offense still went 2 for 11 with RISP bringing the ALCS total to 8 for 50 (!) in that situation. That won't get it done.

That said, I expect Hughes to put on his big boy pants on Friday and we will see a brawl for it all on Saturday.

Yes but the point of bringing it up was when the Mets have $20+ million on the DL of a $120-130 million payroll (which almost certainly is going down next year thanks to the Madoffs and justifiably lousy attendance) that's still a significant chunk, if that happened to the Yankees with an over $200 million one with the ability for them to spend even more than that it's a little different. With them it's not really a risk to give Lee $25 million a year.

Fair enough, but if you are going to crunch the numbers that way to make the Mets payroll look less significant, I think it is fair to say that the Yankee$ pay more for Free Agents because of who they are. Agents know this, players know this and that is another albeit the smaller of the factors for the exorbitant payroll, but it is, and Ill say 20%.

I'm surprised so many of you Yankee fans are holding out so much hope.

Why doesn't anybody ever say these kinds of things when the Devils go down 3-1 in a series? :noclue:

When's the last time the Devils came back to win a playoff series? Other than 2006 against a decidedly mediocre Tampa team (2-1), 2001 against Toronto was the last time (3-2). Granted the Yankees don't have a lot of recent comebacks in their repitore either but their Scott Stevens (Jeter) hasn't retired yet, that core deserves the benefit of the doubt...ours really doesn't.

Besides you'd probably see the same kind of ranting and raving about the Yankees on a Yankees board. That isn't the primary function of this place so you have a lot more moderate posts on other teams than you do on the primary team (Devils) here, though us Met fans can do woe is me pretty good, and with good reason :P

Edited by NJDevs4978